Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question drive shaft packing boat still leaking

I replaced my driveshaft packing last night with GORE goretex packing
    and took boat out today. I coasted around the ramp and ran it at idle
    speed for 5min. There was no leaking coming from the driveshaft packing nut. I
    put the vdrive cover back on it and ran the boat full throttle for a
    10min, and then checked it again and driveshaft was under water.I was really frustrated.
    I'm really confused?? Do you know any other place water could be getting in? Does
    the driveshaft under the boat have a seal that could be leaking? I couldn't pinpoint the leak once the water level was this high. I headed for the ramp and trailed the boat back to our storage. Back home now researching. I'm guessing at this point? Any help would be greatly appreciative!
    2014 Moomba Mobius LSV
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrodau View Post
    I replaced my driveshaft packing last night with GORE goretex packing
    and took boat out today. I coasted around the ramp and ran it at idle
    speed for 5min. There was no leaking coming from the driveshaft packing nut. I
    put the vdrive cover back on it and ran the boat full throttle for a
    10min, and then checked it again and driveshaft was under water.I was really frustrated.
    I'm really confused?? Do you know any other place water could be getting in? Does
    the driveshaft under the boat have a seal that could be leaking? I couldn't pinpoint the leak once the water level was this high. I headed for the ramp and trailed the boat back to our storage. Back home now researching. I'm guessing at this point? Any help would be greatly appreciative!
    I'm assuming that the boat wasn't leaking before you redid the packing (and that's a hard job on the 2005 LSV...I know...did the same thing last year).

Did you remember to put your drain plug back in?

How many "rings" of gore-tex did you fit in?

I'd dry out the bilge completely (find an incline and pop the drain plug), and put it back in the water, and keep the v-drive cover off. Have someone else idle the boat around and watch. Then have the other person increase speed while you continue watching. See if you can locate the source of the leak, if it's not obviously the shaft packing.

It's possible that all you need to do is tighten down the shaft packing nut down a bit more to stop the leakage. Once the packing is a little lubricated by water, sometimes it needs a little more tightening.
    ===================================
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by dhyams View Post
    I'm assuming that the boat wasn't leaking before you redid the packing (and that's a hard job on the 2005 LSV...I know...did the same thing last year).

Did you remember to put your drain plug back in?

How many "rings" of gore-tex did you fit in?

I'd dry out the bilge completely (find an incline and pop the drain plug), and put it back in the water, and keep the v-drive cover off. Have someone else idle the boat around and watch. Then have the other person increase speed while you continue watching. See if you can locate the source of the leak, if it's not obviously the shaft packing.

It's possible that all you need to do is tighten down the shaft packing nut down a bit more to stop the leakage. Once the packing is a little lubricated by water, sometimes it needs a little more tightening.
    Yes, had drain plug in. Yes it was leaking before and I assumed it was the packing nut.
    I ended up putting (4) 4-1/4" pieces cut at 45 degree angles. Tightened it down by hand and small turn with wrench. Then tightened jam nut down.
    I wish I would have had time to do your suggestion of emptying the bilge and taking a closer look at faster speed. How tight does the packing nut need to be? Wrench tight?
    2014 Moomba Mobius LSV

For reference:
    TIGHTENING/PACKING TECHNIQUE
    Screw the packing nut onto the packing gland assembly. Tighten it up as much as possible by hand. Then using a wrench, turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a ½ a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. This will pack the packing fairly tight.
    - Back the packing nut off the assembly again. Then thread it back on. Tighten it only as tight as you can get it using your hands. This should be almost the perfect tightness for the packing gland so that it does not leak, yet not too tight so that the packing burns up.
    - Tighten the Lock Nut up to the Packing Gland Nut.

and
    http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=6381
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrodau View Post
    Yes, had drain plug in. Yes it was leaking before and I assumed it was the packing nut.
    I ended up putting (4) 4-1/4" pieces cut at 45 degree angles. Tightened it down by hand and small turn with wrench. Then tightened jam nut down.
    I wish I would have had time to do your suggestion of emptying the bilge and taking a closer look at faster speed. How tight does the packing nut need to be? Wrench tight?
    I'm afraid you are probably going to have to do that inspection regardless. I would at the very least put the boat back in the water, loosen the jam nut, and see if you can tighten down the packing nut more, by hand. I bet you can. Then retighten the jam nut obviously. It's different tightening before and after the goretex has gotten wet and the shaft has been spinning.
    ===================================
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

I'd put it in the water and look for the leak. It could be something completely different.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Also make sure your alignment is correct. Check your exhaust thru hulls also as they can be a leak source. Sounds like a lot of water coming in.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Is it possible you have water further forward (underneath the floor around the fuel tank or further forward) that is not getting drained out of the boat. Then, when you are on the water it is moving to the back where you can see it?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Is it possible you have water further forward (underneath the floor around the fuel tank or further forward) that is not getting drained out of the boat. Then, when you are on the water it is moving to the back where you can see it?
    I am leaning more towards my ballast valves could be bad and cutting on automatic now. I didn't have my fly high bag hooked up in the ski locker in the front and the door was shut while running the boat. That's my first guess at this point, but can't do much until I can get the boat back in the water at this point. I still have the Orbit valves that seems to cause a lot of issues for people. I might be experiencing this now. Might be time to switch over to the Irritrol 700 series valves.
    2014 Moomba Mobius LSV

Well, I would close the inlet valves on the ballast intakes till I get this worked out.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!