Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not a good day

Do you have two different names? W2W and MBalls? Almost sounds like no filter was installed
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Default Not a good day

Quote Originally Posted by bbuhtz View Post
    I'd have a hard time taking my boat to them after an incident like this. Could just prove incompetence of their mechanics. Thats just me, I have a hard time letting anyone but myself touch my boat.
    My thoughts exactly, guarantee they forgot to reassemble something, no way they would admit to it though.

I have always serviced mine, and never had a problem (touch wood)....its easy peasy!

I have friends with other boats, who send them off for service, and they ALWAYS have an issue of some sort afterwards.

Human error....if it's not your pride and joy, you just don't treat it the same i think.
    Dave Longbotham
    Minsterworth Waterski Club
    River Severn
    England
    U.K.
    Mobius V 2000
    [email protected]

www.youtube.com/user/Wolfstone1000

Quote Originally Posted by WAKE-2-WAKE View Post
    The dealer called and told he it was a faulty oil filter and they cleaned the oil up. They also said no damage was done and there is were still oil in the engine.
    Sounds like exactly what I mentioned before, leaving the old seal on accidently and installing the new filter with another seal. Faulty filter? No... just stupidity. But hey, what do I know, maybe filters come now with predrilled holes with pressure reliefs that are deemed "faulty". Lol, thats a good one.
    2004 Moomba LSV Blue

I would suggest you ask to see that faulty filter. Sounds like crap to me.
    2008 Mobius LSV, 325 Assault, Acme 1433
    Ballast: 1100s rear, 400 center and IBS plumbed on valve. 3 Johnson Reversibles.
    Audio: 2 SKM10 subs and 6 KM6200s powered by Kicker IX1000.5, Pair REV8s powered by JL M4300 amp, Kenwood 440u head unit, RC107 remote at helm, and RC60 remote at transom
    Misc: Blue Seas Add-a-Battery, SeaDek, Evolution Cover, Blue interior LEDs, 2 Attwood Underwater LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by bbuhtz View Post
    I've seen people leave the old seal from the old oil filter on the housing and when the new one is installed, there are two seals that do not seal! That will also leak much of your oil out in no time and ruin an engine. Whatever the case may be, sounds like you shut it down quickly.

I'd have a hard time taking my boat to them after an incident like this. Could just prove incompetence of their mechanics. Thats just me, I have a hard time letting anyone but myself touch my boat.
    double gasket is what we call it, thats when the old oil filter gasket sticks to the filter housing, it does happen. heck I did it myself to my wifes honda prelude one time.

as long as the shop gets it all cleaned up and will back up any damage for a length of reasonable time you should still use that shop, stuff happens and its how its handle aftwards that can make all the difference
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    as long as the shop gets it all cleaned up and will back up any damage for a length of reasonable time you should still use that shop, stuff happens and its how its handle aftwards that can make all the difference
    Yeah I'd have to agree, sounds like the shop made it right. Accidents do happen
    2004 Moomba LSV Blue

I had a bad filter once where the seal was not completely set in the ridge on the filter. The bottom line, you always run the engine and check for leaks after an oil change.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Default Not a good day

I learned to change oil at a young age. I was taught to always check under the car a couple times right after you change it and run it, and for the first day or two. I apply the same thing to my boat. Make sure after the oil is changed to check it within the first couple minutes of running your boat, and within the first half hour after that.

I also was taught to run my finger around the filter mating surface to make sure there wasn't a gasket stuck to it.
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by WAKE-2-WAKE View Post
    The dealer called and told he it was a faulty oil filter and they cleaned the oil up. They also said no damage was done and there is were still oil in the engine.
    1) the likelihood of a "faulty filter" is probably 1% since they are all factory tested. 99% chance he's bullshitting you

2) Show me the filter - see #1. If 'oh, we threw it away' then again they are lying.

3) Whether they double gasketed it or worse didn't install a filter or the plug, there is no way they can know "no damage done" unless they tore the engine down. Life expectancy would certainly be a question.

They are telling you what you want to hear. Personally I would have insisted on being present when they inspected it, as a new engine is thousands of dollars.

Funny, I've been changing oil for 30+ years and never even heard of that phenomenon until on here. But, I have definitely heard of it from reliable sources such as a guy at a car dealership, etc. I've never seen it but I'm not surprised because I know how cheaply these filters are made. Best to check if you do your own and be vigilant if you don't.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!