Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Ripped off - End of a long, painful day

Today was one of those days that I'm just ready to be over and I definitely need a few beers. Already mentioned it elsewhere but I figured I'd share my grief, and precautions so that hopefully others don't experience the same situation.

My boat is parked alongside the house behind a 6ft high cedar fence/gate and under a carport type canopy.

Went out to dinner last night, kids are at Grandmas for a few days on spring break, all is good. 6am I'm up making coffee, take the garbage out, come around the corner and see the gate hanging open. Think maybe my teenage daughter snuck out (guilty of this before) so I go shut it, and as I turn around I see the engine cover open on the boat, driver's seat laying on the floor and compartments open...

Somebody, or a few somebody's, had the balls to climb the fence in the middle of the night, have at it on the boat, and literally destroy what they couldn't take. When I first looked I noticed the sub was gone from under the driver's helm. The door under the passenger side cubby was hanging open and when I stuck my head in I could see the cut wires.

Ran in the house and got dressed, told my "wife" the situation, and went back out to investigate.

Sub and box gone
    Faceplate of HU gone
    2 of the 3 amps gone
    Ballast bags gone
    Couple new lifejackets gone

When it got light out what really torqued me is that whatever they couldn't peel off quick and easy is all torn up. The cabin speakers are all in place still but all busted up from what looks like trying to pry them loose. Same thing with the tower speakers, all marred up and trashed. They even have holes jabbed through them.

The rear deck was open and when I closed it I found where they basically ripped into it and tried to pry it open rather than just lifting the latch.

Muddy footprints along with probably a good 20 or more holes on the cushions and drivers seat. It basically looks like someone stabbed all the cushions in the cabin with a screwdriver.

Had to wait 2 hours for the sheriff's office to call me back and they were pretty much just 'meh, file a report on-line'. Nothing else - pretty disappointing.

I will give my insurance company credit though - they moved pretty fast. There was an adjuster in the area today, he called, and said he would stop by after his last appointment. Came over, looked everything over, took a few pictures, told me to get estimates for having everything replaced and he could make it all happen within a few days. I was kind of dumbfounded. I don't even have an official case number from the police and he said it wouldn't be a problem.

The thing that grinds me the most about all this is now I feel like a target. Somebody is ballsy enough to do this once, who's to say they won't be back again in a few months? I just put in a motion sensing alarm this afternoon and bolted the gate shut. Going to rebuild it at least 8ft high in the next few days - for sure before I replace anything.

So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

That SUCKS, so sorry to hear that.

Nothing like working hard and having some BS F@#k you're stuff up.

Hope your insurance pans out (what covers the boat? Homeowners?). Let us know how it goes, as all I ever hear from insurance companies is "...that didn't come stock on your truck, therefore we don't cover it..." There's a reason the insurance companies have some of the nicest buildings in any big city.

If they don't pan out, you can have my factory bags that I just pulled out of my '02 (plus your boat is the right color!!!)

Good luck!
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Well, it doesn't hurt to read your policy either. Aftermarket "upgrades" on a truck will require an appropriate endorsement for coverage so you pay the premium instead of the rest of us. But, boat equipment is usually covered under the policy as a matter of course. Funny how people read the paper, read blogs, read facebook posts but can't be bothered to read their own insurance policies.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Adjuster told me to get quotes for complete replacement of in-kind or comparable system and that it is covered at that value. Same with the upholstery. Only thing there is a limit on is any personal effects in the boat - which I think the only thing that falls into that category are the missing lifejackets. Didn't have any wakeboards or surfs or anything else in it but those would also fall into that category. I would consider the ballast bags as being part of the boat, plumbed in, not some extra accessory.

As I sit here and think about it I sure as hell hope there was no tampering with the engine since the cover was open. It doesn't look like it at all but with everything else tore up and trashed now I'm getting nervous.

Explain your concern to the adjuster-- based on the other desecration, vandalism, tampering -- you are concerned about the SAFE operating condition of the vessel and would like it checked out. This should be reasonable at the time the estimate is done.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Ripped off - End of a long, painful day

Sorry man! Sickening sight.
    -Jake

Dang man, sorry to hear. Hope all works out with Insurance. Time for a secured storage unit
    Chris H.
    2012 Mojo
    Wake Life

WS420sq,4 Rev8's,JL Amps,2-TypeR 12's,6-Interior Kicker, Green/White LED

Wow! Makes me sick. So sorry. We had a similar incident in our neighborhood last year with our cars. The damaged/stolen items sucks, but the idea that someone would do this to you with total disregard sucks even more. We were on edge for months after. Good luck!
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Berg, sorry to hear that, makes me sick when F sticks come in an mess with your stuff, it's one thing to do a clean break , but the other to just cause damage.. Just because. I would be f'ing hot!!!!!. I don't get vandalism, just pisses me off.

did any neighbors hear anything, seems like they made a racket?

Keep us posted.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold