Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Ballast Reversible Setup...

So I'm installing a completely new ballast system in my boat with 4 reversible pumps but I have a few questions.

I have (2) 750's for the rears each will have their own pump, a center bag with the vent running to an IBS sharing a single pump, and a bag under the port seat with it's own pump..

My question is vent locations, ie, best location to drill them and since we surf is it advisable to run the vents from the rear bags to the opposite side to avoid any draining issues from the boat being leaned over?

Was thinking for the IBS vent towards the captains console since it'd be easier to access, where the heater is. The rears just on the middle area of the engine compartment.

http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Save yourself some coin and link the port rear and the port mid ship together. Use a valve or simple plug like I made for when you don't want the mid ship bag filled.

I suggest this as you aren't gaining any time with the fourth pump since you have the center & IBS chained together. I'm guessing your IBS is 650 and center is at least 400 for a total of 1,050. Your combo on the port side of 750 and I'm guessing the 370 totals 1,120. Thats only a 70 lb variance. In other words, it takes almost the same amount of time to fill center & IBS as it does port rear & mid ship.

I'm venting my bags out same side in rear with no issues. Center & IBS combo where you suggested.

That was my original plan, connecting the rear and mid ship together.

Then my "buddy" wants to surf and he's goofy which messes everything up!

I bought the forth pump so I could switch sides quickly and without hassle. I don't want to mess with anything except a switch. I wasted too many hours last year with tsunami pumps and opening hatches/moving stuff around, etc, etc...

What I probably need is 2 valves for the 4th pump.

So I could use the 4th pump to fill/drain the mid or rear(still have them connected) and another valve on the intake side to fill/drain from the lake or to the starboard side bag. (This is just too complicated, see note above)

I'll use the 4th pump between the rear bags, and connect the port rear and mid bag together...

Default Re: New Ballast Reversible Setup...

Installed 4 reversible pumps and the thru hulls today.

There is no space in this boat!

Had to move the depth finder, was in the far left hole, now it's first in line..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by parrothd; 04-07-2013 at 08:07 PM.

With the depth transducer moved forward, be prepared for some erroneous readings when the boats is at or above planning speed. The further forward it is, the greater chance there is for air to come across it. They do not "see" through are bubbles, so they tend to send incorrect readings. Same condition as when you key up with the boat on the trailer.

Looks further forward than it is, only moved about 15 inches, figured the intakes would cause some cavitation and interfere with the depth sensor.. Guess we'll have to wait and see..

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post

My question is vent locations, ie, best location to drill them and since we surf is it advisable to run the vents from the rear bags to the opposite side to avoid any draining issues from the boat being leaned over?
    On my 2008 LSV, venting the 1100 rear bags on opposite sides is needed for complete filling.
    2008 Mobius LSV, 325 Assault, Acme 1433
    Ballast: 1100s rear, 400 center and IBS plumbed on valve. 3 Johnson Reversibles.
    Audio: 2 SKM10 subs and 6 KM6200s powered by Kicker IX1000.5, Pair REV8s powered by JL M4300 amp, Kenwood 440u head unit, RC107 remote at helm, and RC60 remote at transom
    Misc: Blue Seas Add-a-Battery, SeaDek, Evolution Cover, Blue interior LEDs, 2 Attwood Underwater LEDs

Installed the switches today, had to move the existing gauges..

That looks great!

Pics got deleted..