Default Exile Zone Controller VS Wet Sounds WS-420WS

So I've been getting ready to upgrade my stereo system. (Nothing like waiting till the last minute) I'm pretty set on Exile XM9 Wake Package with the Harpoon amp. I was thinking of also adding the zone controller with it, but then saw that wet sounds just came out with a new one as well. Does anyone have any major concerns of either one? Hook up compatability problems? Advantages, disadvantages?

I will also be running a 10" Memphis sub with its own dedicated amp.

Also, I can't seem to do a comparison of the XM7's and the XM9's on the Exile website. Can anyone give me the major differences besides size?

Thanks!!
    2006 Mobius XLV

Oh boy...here we go!

FWIW I have the Wetsounds 420 and couldn't be happier. I had a Kicker Dual zone controller before and this is a night and day difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Im not failure with the Exile zone controller and do not see anything on their website about one. Do you by chance mean the ZLD? The ZLD is an automotive based EQ and fades between the front and rear (although its relabeled in-boat and tower), where as the Wet Sounds WS-420SQ actually has true independent zone volume control.

The WS-420SQ is a dual EQ in a single chassis, where as the ZLD is a single. On the ZLD, when you make bass and treble adjustments to the larger tower speakers, its translated to the in-boats. WIth the WS-420, you can make those adjustments independent of each other.

The WS-420SQ is a 5V line driver on ALL output chnls. The ZLD has has a single for the "in-boat" and "tower" and its split between them because its fade, not dual zone.

The WS-420SQ has the RCA socket bolted to the chassis. The ZLD has them only soldered to the PCB

The WS-420 is built for the marine environment and has a conformal coated PCB, like marine amps, the ZLD does not.

There is nothing else on the market like the WS-420SQ. The 420SQ and ZLD are nothing alike and should not really be compared. The features, functions and build quality of each needs to be taken into account, the choose the one that best fits your needs. The ZLD is the same foundation as an automotive EQ that has been around for 30 years, such as the Absolute EQ 400 or a dozen others. Nothing special or unique about and they can be had for as little as $50 and have the same features and perform the same functions. If the features and functions of an automotive QE thats fades is what fits your needs, then there are other options then a $200 units, and they will do the same thing.

I live in Bostic, NC. I normally boat on lake James in Marion, NC

I've had both I'd go ws-420
    2011 Xlv with 325hp and stock Gravity lll

Quote Originally Posted by jbheuerman View Post

Also, I can't seem to do a comparison of the XM7's and the XM9's on the Exile website. Can anyone give me the major differences besides size?

Thanks!!
    Ive owned both the XM7 and XM9

The biggest difference is the sound from them. The XM9s are much louder, and project farther. At the same time because the mid bass is larger they sound better in the boat and at surf distance.

When i ran my XM7s and surfed i had to have them turned down a lot, other wise the horn tweeter would kill my ears.
    I could hear them at Wake Distance just fine but it was mostly the higher notes and lyrics.

With the XM9s you can hear them extremely well at wake board distance, and you can hear more of the music with the lyrics. At surf distance and in the boat i don't have to turn them down because the mid bass keeps up with the horn tweeter much better.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Here we go again....

FWIW I have had both and like the ZLD better, easier to turn the volume up because once you set the fade it is just one knob but I think WS addressed this with the new one and has a master knob?

Also the led lighting on my 420 went out. No issues with the ZLD to date.

Sent from my iPhone
    Last edited by rdlangston13; 04-02-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I went zld. no opinion as I don't have a ton of time on it yet, but install was a breeze and it looks nice
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Yes, the new Wetsounds WS420SQ has a brand new and different control scheme than before. It has a master control, separate in-boat and tower zone controls and a dedicated bass level control that sums the two zones.
    But let me make a very important distinction. The Wetsounds does NOT use a fader because a) it has separate equalization circuits for the in-boat and tower zone, and b) it has six discrete direct-couple drivers to your amplifiers.
    Instead, the Exile ZLD uses only four discrete output drivers and only the sub out is directly connected. The Exile fader places a resistive pot between the stereo driver chip and all four fullrange outputs. Even source units commonly have discrete outputs that are not impeded by any reistive device or pot between the HU and amplifiers. HUGE difference.

David