Default Looking for feedback on Kicker HLCD system.

Anyone running the The KICKERŪ KM6500.2 HLCD Tower Component System would like some feedback on how these compare to wetsounds or Exiles? Liquid Audio has a nice 4 pod setup for sale on ebay that looks good and I would like to have a 4 pod setup without breaking the bank.

Trever,

Exile makes a 6.5" HLCD and 8" HLCD and Wet Sounds make an 8" HLCD and 10" HLCD. So to fairly compare, one would need to know which of those models you are referring to.

Unlike a typical pro-axial HLCD with the horn through the center of the mid-bass driver, the Kicker KM6500.2 is a component setup with a separate continuous cone 6.5" mid-bass driver and horn. This will offer more mid-bass contribution then a pair of 6.5" pro-axial HLCD's. In terms of power handling, their RMS is above most 6.5" HLCD's and approaching, if not exceeding, some 8" HLCD. For reaching out to wake-board range, most of that comes from the horn. Properly powered and tuned, these will do that. Due to their component design, they offer more bid-bass then a traditional 6.5" HLCD, so the near-field listening is much warmer.

Now, to answer part of your question, I have run this setup up a number of boats. My favorite is to pair it up with the Kicker full-range Class-D IX500.4. In brighe mode, this amp will deliver 250W rms to each horn/mid pairing.

Have you compared that to the KM6500.2 and Kicker KMTE-D Double pod setup? These pods are made just for the KM6500.2's

Those pods are pretty pricey they are around $350 to $400 per pod without speakers.

They do not cost $350-$400 per pod. The KMTE-D is a pair of double pods, so thats 4 holes, which is whats needed for the KM6500.2 needs, for $399 retail. So for $900 retail, you have a 4-pod HLCD tower setup. Pair that with a 500W full-range class-d amp thats going to deliver 250w rms to each side, and you are less money then some 6.5" HLCD packages using a 20th century class-a/b amp that delivers less power.

My mistake the couple places I saw selling the pods the wording in description didn't say a pair or sold in pairs.