Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffer newb

Hybrid View

Default Buffer newb

Got a nifty black and decker corded buffer for Christmas. Wanting to wax the boat with it but I have only ever waxed by hand. Any tips to keep me from screwing something up?

Casey
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

Small circles, go over several times with different levels of product. Here is a link to the products I ended up using.

http://kearneyville.com/2012/02/27/f...oat-detailing/
    2003 Mobius LSV Gravity Games
    Total Noob running 1100 in the center, 750s in the lockers.
    JL JX360/4 powering 6 Infinity 621m speakers

I buffed my boat fir the first time last summer.

What i learned was to make sure you are always moving, use steady pressure and even movements.

I found some buffer burn on the back and it happened when i was getting tired and tried to rush a bit.

I used terry cloth for the buffing to get off the water spots and then rewaxed it all by hand again.

I also taped things off like the rub rail screws, around anything sharp, rubber, and things of that nature.

Plan to spend some time cleaning the wax spray off the interior as well LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

hmmm... anyone want to buy a new in the box buffer?
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

Default Buffer newb

Casey, post a bit and/or model number up of what you got. I'm betting it a different animal than a variable speed polisher and much less powerful and you wont have any problem waxing up the boat with it. I use a cordless Ryobi model about every other weekend with regular wax and it's very easy to quickly get a nice coat of wax on the boat.

Default Buffer newb

Quote Originally Posted by chawk610 View Post
    hmmm... anyone want to buy a new in the box buffer?
    bwahahaha!! atta boy

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

If you have an orbital buffer, then you can use it with wax with no worries. A variable speed buffer or polisher is a different animal and you need some precautions. Let us know what you have.

Any of them will be safe if you use low speeds and keep it moving. Use the minimal "cut" product that you need.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

They both do the same thing correct? I am about to start this myself and am looking at this one from Harbor Freight... http://www.harborfreight.com/sanderp...eed-69474.html. Also new to this, I have read a couple threads on here and figured this was the way to go. Ive got scratches, oxidation, and dullness that I need to bring a shine to the whole boat. Gonna start and practice with the platform since I have a new pad coming. The thing Im not sure about is do I wet sand then polish or will a coumpound be better than a wet sand. Sorry to high jack the thread.

[QUOTE=maxpower220;210664]If you have an orbital buffer, then you can use it with wax with no worries. A variable speed buffer or polisher is a different animal and you need some precautions. Let us know what you have.
    1998 Outback

That's the variable speed one. The orbital one keeps you from burning through. Always keep the vairable speed one moving or you can burn through the paint or gel coat- be extremely careful on ridges. Just like with block sanding, do one surface, then the other-- try not to cross the ridge with it if you can help it.
    Last edited by kaneboats; 03-25-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Ya, there was a thread that I was reading and the guy said that he just used one(variable speed) for the first time after using orbital and wouldnt go back. What do you mean "cross the ridge"?
    1998 Outback