Hybrid View

Default 4 channel or a 2 channel amp

I know i am all over the board on speakers but i just sent a check for two pairs of Rev10s.
    With this being said i am currently looking at two amps and do not know what way to go
    I am trying to stay with a name brand amp and not over $400.00.

the amps are
    Rockford Fosgate P1000x2
    Rockford Fosgate P1000x4d

what is better a Two channel with two speakers paralleled or a 4 channel with a Channel per speaker?

What size speaker wire would be best for each application.

currently i have two sets of speaker wires and i think they are 16 gage They might be 12 gage going to check tonight.
    2007 supra 21v

Neither of those amps will give the rev10s the 300w rms they are rated for, I would look for an amp that will give each speaker 300-400w a piece. For two pairs most people are running a two channel amp or two four channel amps bridged. The arc audio ks600.2 is pretty popular for your application, just a little out of your budget but I would look for something with similar specs.

http://www.arcaudio.com/product-page...ies/ks6002.asp
    Last edited by bzubke1; 03-21-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Generally speaking, a 2-chnl for driving 2 pair of tower speakers has the edge over a 4 chnl. The 2 chnl will allow for a single 2-conductor per chnl to be fished from the amp, up the tower to each pair. With a 4 chnl, you would want to run 4 2-conductors, which equals more cabling and larger holes in the tower and deck. But, you can series a pair and then bridge them on a 4 chnl and the net watts to each speaker is equal to the 4 x output @ 4 ohm. My preferred choice is typically a 2 chnl, but not always.

Out of those 2 amps, the P1000.2 would only net 250W rms to each.The P1000x4d will only deliver 150 x 4 @ 4 ohm, but will do 500 x 2 bridged @ 4 ohm, so a pair of these would rock!

I would also suggest the Wet Sounds SD-2

Keep in mind that the typical power ratings are at 14.4 volts and you cannot generate 14.4 volts in a boat. It's like horsepower ratings based on jet fuel that you cannot get at the pump. So at a supply voltage of 12.5 volts you typically lose 20 to 25% of the rated power. That is precsisely why you see people running amplifiers over the speaker's RMS/thermal rating....like 400 watts to each Rev10.
    I also agree that the Wetsounds SD2 two-channel amplifier is the best option in a single chassis for four total Rev10s. And, the SD2 is Class D which has real advantages.
    Yes, it is a larger investment. However, when compared to the investment in the four Rev10s???

David

I live in Bostic, NC. I normally boat on lake James in Marion, NC

I also have to sets of rev 10's on my boat. I use two four channel amps bridged. One amp per pair. I use the Rockford Fosgate 600/4 marine amps. They push my rev 10's pretty good. I would like to have more power but the amp still does a good job. You can get two of the amps for around 500 bucks. There around 250 a pop. Ill probably switch to DD amps one day but there almost twice the price of my Rockford Fosgate amps.
    2011 Xlv with 325hp and stock Gravity lll

Ill probably switch to DD amps one day but there almost twice the price of my Rockford Fosgate amps.[/QUOTE]
    I love my DD amps . DSC01441.jpg