Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: System Tuning

Hybrid View

Default System Tuning

What song, or songs, are you using to tune your system? Is it possible to tune it in the garage or do i have to wait till I can get it out on the water? I don't really want to spend my first couple outings doing a bunch of adjusting, and neither does she!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 MOOMBA LSV
    340 CAT
    ACME 1235
    3100#'s

Vivaldi Concerto in G Minor for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1itjItO6Cs
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRAK View Post
    What song, or songs, are you using to tune your system? Is it possible to tune it in the garage or do i have to wait till I can get it out on the water? I don't really want to spend my first couple outings doing a bunch of adjusting, and neither does she!

Yes, you can tune the system in the garage. Now it will sound very different out on the water than it will in the garage but most of that is out of your control. With the correct tools, you can set all the maximum pre-clipped gains without ever hearing the system. The audible part is the level matching between highpass and lowpass. That is more of a splice over a narrow bandwidth where the garage dimensions can definitely have an impact.

David

I was kidding above. I think you are looking for this thread (and good luck!):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ghlight=tuning
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

There will be NO KIDDING in the audio & electrical forum dammit. This is serious stuff!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Krak - there are a lot of ways to look at this question. Some boats dont get tuned at all. Some get tuned and retuned and retuned. Some boats get tuned, and then people play with Eq's all over the place on the water and make smiley face curves. My approach to tuning is like this....

In the garage -
    check polarity of speakers
    adjust gains on each amp
    Level match bow to cabin (usually boats are over or under gained on one of these area's because of the impedance loads on the amp)
    Adjust Subwoofer xover point, engage subsonic filtering (If applicable).
    Eliminate bass boast on amps
    setup ipod for 3/4 volume and flat EQ
    Establish Maximum output of each zone (i.e. more level matching)

On the water -
    Fine tune EQ and boost or (usually cut) specific frequencies.
    Minor adjust gains.
    Review subsonic filtering.
    And surf behind the boat and see if I got my own smile on my face.

All of this can be done with tools, scopes, RTA's or just your ear. Ultimately your ears dont lie. Scopes and RTA's can help with the academic stuff. But once the engine cranks over all that stuff isnt going to help you establish the right sound for your setup.

When I do tweak and tune clinics on the water (last year I did 4 of them regionally), I'm usually mixing the garage items and water items together. Often times wiring issues and or phasiing issues (i.e multiple subs on the boat), can really slow down a tune. The term tune to me is not a good one. I try to optimize the entire system. the "tune" is going to depend a lot of the music selected by the user or bit rate the media his recorded in.

For example, when Mandley was at Exile yesterday, I think the absolute best music that played through his stereo was Michael Jackson. Fantastic recording, lots of dynamic sounds within the recording. It was just WOW impressive. Only problem with optimizing the setup for that is ---- Mike dont listen to MJ all that much. He prefers some rock and roll -- which typically has a far more compressed sound. The solution is to find a middle ground that will give a good platform to reproduce the "tunes" you play on the system. You can do lots in your garage.

-Brian

2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

loud and proud! Good song too...........

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Default System Tuning

Thanks for the info Phil. That's what I was looking for, but I'll gladly keep taking other song suggestions as well.

2010 MOOMBA LSV
    340 CAT
    ACME 1235
    3100#'s

Don't pick your 'favorites' for tuning. Don't pick your ideal 'demo' material for tuning.
    For level setting, select a clean, busy, well-recorded, dynamic artist/song with activity across the entire bandwidth. It doesn't have to be as dense as Nickelback but that is on the right track. You also don't want a selection that falsely emphasizes or boosts one area. I prefer to stay away from music with synthesized bass. Neutral is better.
    I don't listen to Dave Mathews but the first cut on Crash is good for tuning. It's recorded a bit hot and reveals clipping.

David