Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mojo Woofer enclosure question

Has anyone put in an aftermarket woofer under the helm of a Mojo? Did you have sufficient room to build and mount a box? For a 12" woofer?

My 2013 is in the factory now, expecting delivery early April (woo hoo!). I'm putting in Wet Sounds all around and my plan (so far) is to put a 12" woofer under the helm where the factory woofer would be. But looking at the demo boat at my dealer (no woofer in it), there's a bit a cabling under there that to me (audio ignorant) would seem to be in the way and prevent installing a proper woofer enclosure.

Thoughts? Advise? Anyone skinned this cat already? I'd really appreciate any info ya'all might have!

Thanks.

Default Mojo Woofer enclosure question

Mandley - where are you???

I think you will get some insight from MMandley.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

slingo,
    Here is what I can tell you. A 10" woofer in a sealed enclosure will begin about .85 cu.ft. external displacement. A 12" woofer in a ported enclosure can easily exceed a 3.0 cu.ft. external enclosure. I use 'external' displacements because that is the number you are most concerned with when fitting the boat. Everything flows from that number. And, there are a number of great woofers in different enclosures in between that .85 and 3.0 cu.ft. The enclosure can actually have more to do with the deep bass extension over the particular woofer. So in a logical sequence the boat first determines the maximum enclosure displacement which in turn dictates the right woofer and enclosure loading method (sealed, ported, etc.).
    There are a number of obstacles in planning a subwoofer enclosure.
    Your tolerance for leg/foot room loss.
    Insertion dimensions and insertion angles past the seat riser and into the underdash cavity.
    Any cables that penetrate the sole and are fixed, like a steering cable that should not have its radius changed and should not be placed into a bind.
    Room for the woofer excursion.
    The elevation between under the dash and the risers that lift the enclosure off the sole to allow for drainage and evaporation.
    A heater, heater hose or heater vent.
    Venting hose from the bilge.
    I know the anticipation can kill you. But the best options will come from taking a few measurements with the help of a pen and pad, tape measure, small level and a couple of squares.

David

Thanks David. Great info! Sounds to me like the most prudent thing to do, unless someone who has done this with a Mojo pops up, is to wait til the boat s here and then have my audio installer take a look and advise then.

I'm here Boone LOl.

Slingo, welcome to the Forums, Welcome to the wonderful world of Mojo ownership.

I could speak all day about the stereo i just installed in my Mojo, see signature. I will keep it on point with the Sub only.

I just had an Exile big 15 sub installed under the dash. It took some work, innovative thinking and a slight loss in foot room.

Dave with Earmark is on point with all his points on the sub.

In my LSV i had a forward facing Exile big 12 in a ported box. Sounded awesome but i wanted something more this time, and with the added room of the Mojo i went up to a 15.

I do all my own install work except Subs. I dont feel comfortable enough with making the enclosures.

If you want a sub under the dash you will need to remove the fiberglass floor / hump. Luckily SC carpeted it under the panel. The draw back is its about 3/4 inch lower due to the rest of the floor but this doesn't bother me.

Factory look

In order to remove the panel, you have to pull the stainless cup holders out of the cup holder, there is 2 screws inside that go threw the fiberglass floor and into the boar floor. Then you remove the 2 screws at your feet on the fiberglass panel. There is also a couple screws holding in the carpeted panel above the hump. Its an extreme and funky angle but the floor does come out with out removing any other parts.

Your right in the wires are in the way, and there's no slack to move them around.

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Once you get all this out of the way you can see the real space to work with.

I opted for a fully enclosed sub this time. I wanted a down fire enclosure that will hit you like a ton of bricks, be very tight sounding and as i understand, you get more efficiency of the sub.

Honestly i wasn't going to post pictures of my stereo yet as I'm waiting till some Stop motion videos and other things are done we are doing. For a fellow Moomba / Mojo owner ill jump the gun a little lol.

Mind you i still have a couple things I'm going to adjust and change.
    The carpet on the panel is actually the same color as the interior carpet, but the pull out carpet is a darker shade.
    On the panel also i want to get something to bling it up a little, the panel is too plain for my taste.
    Also I plan to remove that panel and move it up 1/2 inch to allow the carpet to rest flat on the floor.
    Sitting in the drivers seat, because the Mojo cockpit is so much larger then my LSV was i still have more leg room then i did in the LSV with a 12 facing my.

[COLOR="#696969"]

Wow. THANKS so much for all the detailed info and pix!! Hugely helpful. Pretty sure I don't want to as far into as you have, though, for two reasons. One, one of the big reasons I bought a Mojo over some other options, was the leg room. I drive and teach a lot, sometimes 6 hours at a streatch. So as I'm 6'5" I really like the extra leg room to stretch out. I like quality audio, but I'm not a huge "audiofile" and definitely not one of the guys who pump it loud across the lake. (sacrilege, I know!). So I'm thinking a 12" woofer would be sufficient for improved audio quality. Maybe(?) even 10".

Do you think there's room in there to have my guy build a box for a 12" or 10" woofer and be able to leave the floor piece where it is? I see the factory 12" woofer is mounted in the wall there and the floor is intact, but perhaps they run the cabling differently when a factory woofer is installed? Could it be that the factory woofer is free air???

Slingo - Many boats have space issues for idea subwoofer location and displacement considerations. Your boat is not one of them. I had the pleasure of tuning Mandleys Mojo yesterday and can say first handed, you could put a few people (literally) in storage compartment and even helm area. You have tons of room for a subwoofer. It's really going to depend ENTIRELY on how carried away you want to get in the process. That boat is big.

I think an installer should have no problem fitting either ported or sealed enclosures in there for you. And still work around the cables you see. Just make sure you elevate the enclosure as to not bind the cables and you'll be good.

8/10/12/15/18" - you got the space.

-Brian

Slingo, the 12 that Moomba offers as an upgrade is just in the panel, free air. It will sound pretty weak because theres so much room behind that panel.

You can easily get away with a 12 in a box installed behind the panel, facing side ways, or laying infront of the cables and accessed through the nose.

The bow area is so big if your around 150lbs i bet you could craw around in there. I know Natlee with Exile was laying in the bow storage at one point on the floor watching me install the amp rack.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

slingo, I am sure my 12 xlv is very close to the 13 mojo when the panel is removed. i did a reverse wedge in a sealed box for a 12" and did not lose very much foot room at all, the thread is lengthy but scroll throught it all..

Here is a link to the thread.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ight=enclosure

I believe ian ashton did one on an green 13 LSV with that same fiberglass panel that come with the mojo.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold