Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

If kids can budget a boat then go for it. I had a new Hobie Cat when I was 20 and had my sail bag going from one end of my dorm room to the other and I was out sailing almost everyday. At 56, I'm still doing much of what I did when I was younger and added some new toys. I see the end in the horizon and I'm going until I can go no longer.

You need to balance priorities and when you're young with no kids you can do those things and you can remember those days as they may go away for a while when they have a family but it comes back with the kids get older and time to get a boat again. Somehow we have all found it in our budget to have a boat and I don't think none of us have regretted get one. I'm holding off getting a new boat until I can no longer water ski and then probably get a V drive and join the other 80% of the group.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I'm 47 and have always had cars ,toys etc, just not a boat,till a few years ago that was actually mine. We are/ were a young married couple,who now have a couple of well rounded girls ,one nearly finished university and second finishing highschool and enrolled in Techinical institute for next year.BTW we are coming up on 25year anniversary.

We had different priorites as do most people,now we are slowly getting to OUR FUN carefree years??. My comments were not to chastise Young people in general,especially ones boating...

Here in Alberta ,particularily Calgary. There is a LOT of OIL and gas and Technology Money out there,and with it goes the Spoils to a lot of Kids. It is not uncommon to go to dealers and just Buy a boat outright,sometimes cash. I have seen it done... That is definetely not MY case. I worked hard for most of our boat and had a little inheritance help.

This was not saying there are exceptions and gladly there are many as many are testifying too.Good on you,weather buying or financing,is not the issue,my concern is the Spoiled rotten kids,that have no respect for there stuff,my stuff,etc. This just happens to be fairly common on a few close lakes to where we live.
    07 Outback DD

I can also add .Its not always 100k boats but there are a lot of them. We have the Number 1 MC dealer in the world sales,# 1or2 Malibu dealer,Number 2,3 Tige dealer,Moomba dealer was # 3,4 . These are all based on volume sales. and these are all dealers local or very near by.
    07 Outback DD

Default Who are these kids?!?!

Also you have to remember those young people working in the oil and gas field up there. I have buddy from Canada who runs a cement crew on land and has been doing it for 5 years now. I don't know exactly what he makes but it's got to be close to 150,000 a year I so and he's only 25

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

This thread took a different twist from what I was expecting. Surprisingly, the common theme was to enjoy all the fun and atmosphere that boating creates regardless of where each of us are in our lives. I wasn't looking to start a class war or finance debate for that matter.

I was thinking back to a little over a decade ago when I got out of college and was thrilled that I could afford a jet ski (don't tell my ski/wake buddies i had one) at the time and the thought of getting a gas guzzling boat never even crossed my mind at the time. I've always been ultra conservative and whether you take out a 15 year note or pay in cash and the burn the receipt doesn't matter to me!

I catch a flight every week and live for the weekends at the lake cabin and wouldn't trade it for all the Crown Royal in the world. As much as I can't wait to unwrap my new boat, I'm certain I won't have any more fun on the water this year than I would have with my old boat. I just hope the young guys don't burry themselves in new boat's. After all, we need someone to offload our used boats on!
    2013 Mobius LSV
    2004 Centurion T5

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    I guess that's what you get on a forum where 80% of the members are 40+ and rocking boats made in the 80s...sorry Mike! Lol
    Hey, I resemble that remark - and proud of it. Sure, I'm more 50- than 40+ and my boat is 24 years old but I'm happy about both (glad to have made it this far & nobody makes big DD's anymore). I've been young & old, in & out of debt, boat & boatless - but the water has always held the same enjoyment. I highly recommend boating if you're so inclined and can find a way - just be smart about it and your own situation/wants/needs. Sorry if you caught some flack from my fellow geezers - you know how codgety us old farts can get when you young whippersnappers won't stay off our lawn/lake with all that newfangled boat stuff ...

Personally, I don't care how others make or spend their money or how they came to be driving that nice new boat - only how they operate that nice new boat. With years has come the wisdom that I don't know jack sh!+ about other people and their finances. I don't presume to know if daddy or the recently departed grandma's insurance bought that boat, or if junior worked his a$$ off & paid cash or is mortgaged to the hilt - so I don't care. Just don't be a d!ck about it and think your money (or the appearance thereof) make you better than anybody else on the water. Of course, "you" and "your" are not directed at anyone particular (well except maybe those douches in the white sunglasses that pulled up in the "murdered" Supra at the TX Jam). You know what I mean if you were there...
    89 Supra Saltare Restoration Project

Quote Originally Posted by Boatdrinks797 View Post
    As much as I can't wait to unwrap my new boat, I'm certain I won't have any more fun on the water this year than I would have with my old boat. I just hope the young guys don't burry themselves in new boat's. After all, we need someone to offload our used boats on!
    I said something very similar to my mother in law when we were at the pittsburgh boat show and she asked when/what my next upgrade would be. Now if you asked if your experience would be different going from an IO to a vdrive then i might say yes, but most certainly not when upgrading between various vdrives of the same length. At the point of spending 80k on a boat when we can have an awfully similar experience with 50k, it seems as if most people do it simply because they can not that their boating experience takes on a whole new meaning.
    2014 SC350
    2012 LSV - sold

My neigbour is an orth0pedist. Makes about 2 mil a year. His 15 yr old son put almost 400 hrs on there brand new 80k bu last summer including a new motor!

Does this piss me off, heck no...Joey is a good kid and his dad went to school for 14 yrs and works his butt off. Not all men and women are created equal and not all people have the drive or ability to be successful.

Don't tell me for one sec that if you made that kind of money you wouldn't do the same for your kids!

I don't want to get political and I must add I'm very right on polotics, but the fact of the matter is the haves have more and the rest are fighting over the scraps.

OK off my soap box, just enjoy the lake, I feel very lucky to have a house on a lake and have my front yard a pearl gem every morning, and quess what so do my kids. What are people going to say when my 13 yr old and my other neighbours 13 yr old are driving around in our Moomba's and MC's. Probably the same thing...but to heck with them, the lakes and rivers belong to all and toys like nice boats are just stuff.
    07 Outback, PP, Heaters, Custom 1/2 wrap, SeaDeK platform cover, Upgraded Stereo, Bimini, Apperance package

"Hi, How you Doin?"

I don't let my daughter or anyone else use my recreational toys. I don't buy stuff for them to wear out and my daughter is now 24 and she is pretty much on her own but she has asked a few times to use the boat. I give her support to get an education so she can get neat stuff. Besides, she wouldn't take care of the boat like I do and I like the boat to be ready the next time I go out.

If I ever get hit by Son of Daddy Bigbucks then it's Daddy who has to make things right and that may be a nice boat like they have.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Guess I am old fashioned if it is a toy and you cannot write a check for it you do not need it.
    1966 18' Chris Craft Super Sport, 2007 Supra Launch SSV