Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Ballast Project

Great ballast setup! I have pretty much the same setup going into my 2008 LSV. Should be finished next week and I'll post pictures when it's all complete.

Brett
    2008 Mobius LSV "Casper"
    Indmar 325hp, Perfect Pass, Z5 Cargo Rack, Acme 1617 Prop, 4 Wetsound Rev8's, Wetsounds SYN2 & SYN6, JL Audio 10w6 subwoofer, JL Audio M650 in boats, white in-boat LEDs, white LED tower speaker rings, white underwater lights, Custom Ballast (Reversible pumps, Y-valves, IBS, 1100lb rear lockers, 400lb under seats)

One of my many projects to get done over the next 2 months is my ballast upgrade. We bought our boat last year with the stock Gravity III ballast. Before I even had the boat in my possession I ordered two 750 lb bags for the rear.

We surfed with the 750's in the rear and would place the 400s that we had left over on the side seat and sometimes in the bow. We grew tired of having bags on the seats so at the Sinclair jam last year we cut the cooler out from under the seat and that allowed us to have the bags hidden under the seats.

Improvement but not quite perfect. I didn't like the way the bags filled in there so I sold the 400s and bought two 370lb Tube sacs and placed them under the seats. PERFECT fit! These are the same bags that are used in the floor in the center. We used it this way the remainder of the summer filling the underseat bags with a Tsunami over the side.

Most of my crew surfs regular except for my wife so we surf both sides of the boat. So with it's current configuration it's a little inconvenient to have to pull out the hand pump throw it over the side, lift the seat cushion, connect it all, and then fill. Then when you drain you have to do the same thing and there always seems to be overfilling or water pouring everywhere or something. Then if we want to switch sides we have to do the same thing all over again. My goal for this year was to eliminate the manual filling of the underseat bags and make it so both the underseat bag and the rear bags fill at the same time, independently without adding a second pump. I also wanted a bigger wave so I wanted to upgrade to the 1100s and that would also require me to add an IBS. I also wanted to fill and drain the IBS independently without an additonal pump.

So what I am doing is adding 3 of the Fly High distribution manifolds. This will allow me to fill 2 bags with each pump which will satisfy my need to not have to add any additional pumps, will allow me to control the filling and draining of all of the bags independently, and will allow me to use two pumps to fill and drain one side. I will just need to adjust the timers for the pumps to accomodate the setup and when filling the midship bags I'll need to watch it a little to know when it's time to stop.

The Left rear pump will now fill the left rear bag and the right midship (underseat) bag. The right rear pump will fill and drain the right rear bag and the left midship (underseat) bag. The center pump will fill and drain the center bag and the IBS.

When we surf regular this will allow me to fill the two bags on the left side at the same time and when we need to switch to the goofy side when the midship bag is finished draining the on the left side I just turn the valve and can begin filling the 1100 bag on the right while the other one is still draining. when the 1100 on the left is finished draining I'll flip the valve and it will fill the right side mid shipbag and it should finish filling at the same time the right rear 1100.

We usually fill the center bag after the boat has been dropped in the water when we are idling out from the ramp. So when it comes time to surf all i will need to do is flip the center distro valve to the bow and start filling the IBS.

The manifolds will be installed in the left side rear locker where the pumps are. No, I am not planning on relocating the pumps as I feel the amount of space it would free up is not significant enough to justify the work of relocating the pumps.

The manifolds are quite spendy but for aesthtics and because the knob doesn't stick out as far as the cheaper bosworth Y valve I felt it was worth the cost. Since these will be in the left rear locker with an 1100I wanted any handles or switches to stick out as little as possible so it wouldn't interfere with the 1100 since it will like fill the entire space.

The three new bags will all have a check valve on the vent line which is going to use the existing vent holes. I am going to use a Y fitting to tie them in on each vent hole. I have attached a Visio diagram that I made to illustrate what I am doing. Go easy it was my first time making a Visio diagram of a boat and ballast system. Also, I haven't exactly decided on which leg of the IBS I will fill and drain from. Probably going to be whichever side easiest to access. I did think about Y'ing that off and filling and draining from both legs but we'll see how this goes first.

I ordered everything yesterday so I expect it will come next week along with all the stuff for my other projects....Christmas in March!!

I will update this thread with pictures when we're done installing it.

Boat Ballast.JPG
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Sounds like a great upgrade! Looking forward to the pics.

Gaw wish i had known earlier, i got a factory 3 way manifold in the garage from the LSV.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Gaw wish i had known earlier, i got a factory 3 way manifold in the garage from the LSV.
    Mike,

I might take it off your hands if your looking to sell it. Let me know...
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Another delivery from the brown wagon today...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363300640.905869.jpg

Just waiting on another box with the hose/clamps/fittings/manifolds. Should be here Monday. This weekend would be PERFECT to do it since its going to be 72-75 degrees. Hopefully next weekend will be as nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Tow Rig:

Quote Originally Posted by moombahighrider View Post
    Mike,

I might take it off your hands if your looking to sell it. Let me know...
    i have one if your ininterested second pic.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ighlight=Parts
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Nash,

Looking at your diagram, does the IBS sac need two drain pumps?

Default Re: My Ballast Project

With a check valve & using reversible pumps, I haven't needed a drain on both sides, just one.

I have a check valve and reversible pumps. Only one pump for the center and IBS bags. I haven't decided if I am going to Y off the fill/drain line. I'm going to try it from one side and see how that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tow Rig: