Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Relocating batteries & Mounting amps

Not to hijack but when is it recommended to go with 3 batteries over 2? I have two now but was thinking of adding another and getting a Prosport20 plus charger. Also, when should someone think up upgrading the alternator?

Right now I have two amps and probably by the end of the summer I will have three. Two Syn4s and a syn2 if I add another set of tower speakers in the future it would be another Syn4 for a future total of 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

E4,

Its all about play time will anchored, and thats all. How many Ah (amp hours) will be determined by the approximate current draw of your system at a given volume level x how long you want to play on the water with the engine off. This will then be divided by what size batteries you go with.

if someone never plays while anchored, then they only need a single battery for the all duties. if they want to spend some time playing while anchored, then a dual battery setup is recommend. For those that want to spend an entire weekend jammin while anchored, then it will be a sizable bank with a lot of large batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    I am trying eliminate that whole factory amp board on the port bow seat back. here is what i have now and it is a mess IMO
    David,

My 2006 did not have an amp board.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    David,
    I prefer the charger on the front wall because you never have to mess with it, and if you do, it's four screws and a couple of quick disconnects, but nothing to adjust.
    Then I prefer the amplifiers lined up against the port hull. Easier to tune or access for diagnostics and service.
    Quality heavy gauge cable is very expensive for that amount of current without loss and for that distance. Also, you wouldn't want to double the length of the starter/alternator feed without stepping up the gauge. So in any scenario applied to this boat, I just don't feel good about splitting up the batteries.

David
    Well what I was thinking was just moving one of the stereo batteries and running a 0 gauge power and ground and the prosport wires around under the bow seats to tie to the other stereo battery. I would leave the starting battery as is

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by E4NASH View Post
    Not to hijack but when is it recommended to go with 3 batteries over 2? I have two now but was thinking of adding another and getting a Prosport20 plus charger. Also, when should someone think up upgrading the alternator?

Right now I have two amps and probably by the end of the summer I will have three. Two Syn4s and a syn2 if I add another set of tower speakers in the future it would be another Syn4 for a future total of 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rarely do you need an alternator upgrade if your charging system is otherwise well planned. If you had an inordinately large system, routinely used your boat long weekends camping at a remote destination without over night access to AC power, then a big alternator could be an essential upgrade.
    Your stereo battery bank should be large enough that your typical playtime at rest does not deplete the deep cycle batteries below 50% (12.0 volts). So you will know by simply measuring the voltage after a long period playing at rest. Then the battery charger size and capacity is matched to the size of the collective battery reserves. For example, if you had three group 29s for the stereo plus a single group 24 for starting, then a 30 amp charger is a bit undersized while a 40 amp charger is max. A ProSport 20 would be perfect for three total group 24s.

David

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    David,

My 2006 did not have an amp board.

Al
    So you build that spot where your charger is mounted?

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Well what I was thinking was just moving one of the stereo batteries and running a 0 gauge power and ground and the prosport wires around under the bow seats to tie to the other stereo battery. I would leave the starting battery as is

Sent from my iPhone
    That would be okay if you just had one stereo battery. But I wouldn't split up two identical stereo batteries by much distance if I could avoid it in an ideal world. Look, there are conflicts with any charging system that has two banks that are used differently off one alternator. So I am not going to state that it is a prefect scenario now. However, if I had dual stereo batteries, then I would prefer to have two identical batteries in age, size and chemistry....and that would include equal cable size, distance and resistance. Just a base foundation to follow, and not something that is an absolute if you have a good reason to do otherwise.

David

So you build that spot where your charger is mounted?
    Sent from my iPhone
    No, that is just the back side of the bow seatback - it was like that from the factory. You might consider putting your 3rd battery under the bow seat and then sliding your other two batteries forward like I did mine. See pic below.

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Default Re: Relocating batteries & Mounting amps

Here's mine... 1 starting behind the observers seat, 2 in the bow in front of the hump. Note: I had to relocate my heater but totally worth the space. For reference these are all group 31 agm's.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWI as usual...

I like that set up. I just feel like all that space from the hump to the IBS is going to waste! Need to stick something in there and batteries would free up space behind the observer seat for items you actually need to access often

Sent from my iPhone
    David