Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default New Carpet Install

Let me preface this by stating this this is not a job for the faint of heart!

For reference this is an 08' LSV.

Fairly easy if you are patient and take your time.

Fist thing I did was remove the carpet from the floor panels and trim them with a grinder to help make the panels sit more flush with the floor and allow the ballast hose to flow freely.

I then used a very sharp razor to cut the carpet around the seat bases, then removed the carpet.

Next unscrewed I all the cast aluminum brackets that hold the seat bases to the floor. Then I pre measured and cut 2x4's. I raised the seat bases and dash up about 1/2" with a small floor jack. I held the bases up with the 2x4's

Note: make sure you take the screws out of the engine/locker dividers as they are attatched to both.

I made sure to scrape all the glue and carpet left-overs off with a putty knife.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by newty; 05-13-2011 at 02:05 AM.

PWI as usual...

After spending waaaaay too long trying to get the carpet from sc I was finally able to use some butcher paper to lay out the floor pattern, then laid it out on the garage floor to cut the carpet.

I made sure to cut the carpet 2-3" wider than the template just to make sure. When I got it into the boat and laid it out I used scissors to trim the carpet within an inch of the seat bases.

Next I pushed all the wrinkles out and used a big putty knife and jammed the carpet under the seat bases.

PWI as usual...

After verifiying I had the carpet cut correctly I pulled the carpet back one side at a time and used 3M Hi tac spray glue to glue down the carpet.

Note: the trick to using this stuff is patients. Spray both the surface of the carpet and the floor surface and wait....
    Wait until both surfaces are less than tacky then stick it together. Do it right the first time because you only get one chance.

As I glued and stuck the carpet down I tucked it back under with the putty knife.

PWI as usual...

My Computer is being a PIA, I'll try to continue this tomorrow.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with PWI!

PWI as usual...

Damn, that is an incredible amount of work and patience required.

Good job!

Thank god my OBV has a removable floor that makes this same process a easy.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

wow, what a difference allready-Looks great

I can tell right now Im going to have to save some money up for when the time comes to fly your ass down here(you do fit in a cardboard box right)
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

looks great Newty!

I'm thinking along w/ PWI, this would require some MWI (mod while intoxicated - or maybe the smell from the glue is all that you need).
    Last edited by wolfeman131; 05-13-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Dam impressive man, sure wish you would have told me you were doing this mod so i could have stoped by to see it and ask you more questions man lol.

Guess ill have to ring your cell and ask my questions lol.

This might be a upgrade ole Fierah gets this next winter as her carpet is looking a little worn to say the least bro.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

So I'm clear on the process - you basically took all of the steps to separate the hull WITHOUT actually separating at the rub rail, right?

When you started to jack up to lift the top off of the bottom, did it make any cracking noises or anything? That would scare the bejesus out of me! That being said, I want to do this so freaking bad, you are my idol.

Did you replace with the exact same thing you removed, or with the new style? I hope you didn't get what they put in the '08's, because whatever my boat has suuucks.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Dam impressive man, sure wish you would have told me you were doing this mod so i could have stoped by to see it and ask you more questions man lol.

Guess ill have to ring your cell and ask my questions lol.

This might be a upgrade ole Fierah gets this next winter as her carpet is looking a little worn to say the least bro.
    Sorry Mike, I was finishing up a boat for a friend and was in boat mod mode. I just ripped into it. I'll be finishing it up if you want to run up today?

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    So I'm clear on the process - you basically took all of the steps to separate the hull WITHOUT actually separating at the rub rail, right?

When you started to jack up to lift the top off of the bottom, did it make any cracking noises or anything? That would scare the bejesus out of me! That being said, I want to do this so freaking bad, you are my idol.

Did you replace with the exact same thing you removed, or with the new style? I hope you didn't get what they put in the '08's, because whatever my boat has suuucks.
    Exactly, the only part that didn't move to easy was the back fiberglass along the back seat over the v-drive. All the seat bases and dash you could lift by hand once the screws were out.
    The boat came with a 22oz carpet (unless you ordered the upgraded 32oz) I ordered the 32oz from skiers choice. Not cheap by the way, was close to $350 shipped. Yersterday I found the same stuff both in brown and grey at corinthian Marine for $200. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    wow, what a difference allready-Looks great

I can tell right now Im going to have to save some money up for when the time comes to fly your ass down here(you do fit in a cardboard box right)
    You call it box, I call it first class. Stacy you could do this! Or you could do this and I could watch!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    looks great Newty!

I'm thinking along w/ PWI, this would require some MWI (mod while intoxicated - or maybe the smell from the glue is all that you need).
    LOL thanks, yea I got to the point last night where I knew I should stop (working) before I make a stupid mistake. Hence why I started PWI.

PWI as usual...