Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Anyone using a trailer brake controller?

Thinking about installing one in my Jeep; in my life I've towed all sorts of trailers thousands of miles and have never used one, but it seems like a good idea to have.

Suggestions?
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    Thinking about installing one in my Jeep; in my life I've towed all sorts of trailers thousands of miles and have never used one, but it seems like a good idea to have.

Suggestions?
    A trailer brake? What are you towing with Electric Brakes? Your boat is hydraulic and works off inertia when the vehicle slows down.

If your referring to an Exhaust Brake because you now have a diesel. That's a whole other game.

I am not savy on exhaust brakes for your engine or if they even make them. I personally dont see the point as you will only being towing your boat most of the time.

Exhaust brakes are really intended to be used for when you haul a trailer with electric brakes and when you go down hill you don't want to ride the brakes, so the exhaust brake makes back pressure on your engine limiting its revs. Same as down shifting but when pulling trailers you can cruise down hill faster with an exhaust brake maintaining a safe speed and not over rev the engine or over heat the brakes on the trailer.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I didn't know that our trailers didn't need a brake controller, that's cool! I guess it makes sense, since the boat never seems to push, and the lockout is needed if you dot have a 5 prong plug. Genius!
    2013 Outback V

Any of you guys running a switch to turn your trailer brakes off? I need to run one this year. My current method of plugging the brake pin into my headlight pin is less then ideal. I can turn my brakes off but I don't have trailer lights.
    -Jake

Uh...... You talking boat trailer still? Why do you need to turn off the trailer brakes?

Only thing I can think of is for backing up and if that is the case it should be triggered from your reverse lights. Unless I'm missing something.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Truck is a flat four, trailer is a flat five. So to back up that's what I do. When I'm at three rivers (lake billy) I have to leave it plugged in that way so I can turn the brakes off coming down a very steep road to the boat ramp. I just flip on my headlights when I want the brakes off. If I put in a switch so I don't have to disable my trailer lights there's other places I would turn off the brakes to prevent over heating.
    -Jake

Get a new plug dude and wire it to the reverse lights. $$ well spent and you never have to think about it again. As for easing off the brakes on a big hill - I know the hill you're talking about. Could always just unplug it and shift down for the ride to the bottom. I've done that hill a few times without issues - just drive faster!

Ian - I also have an electric trailer brake in my truck that I rarely use anymore after selling the travel trailer. It did come in handy when renting a bobcat and the trailer brake was required on the tow vehicle. Other than that, you may not benefit much, but most newer vehicles are plug and play with a controller so install is a snap.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    Any of you guys running a switch to turn your trailer brakes off? I need to run one this year. My current method of plugging the brake pin into my headlight pin is less then ideal. I can turn my brakes off but I don't have trailer lights.
    I think you need this part. http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/47515.html I used to run this part on for a while on a vehicle that only had 4 pin OEM. Easy to install.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Ian,

Check your Moomba bag with all the documentation. My 2010 came with a generic 5 flat harness made to wire to the tow vehicle. I used it on my 2007 Jeep JK. Very easy to wire on the left side brake light. Both the left side and right side turn signal wires come into the left side.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Get a new plug dude and wire it to the reverse lights. $$ well spent and you never have to think about it again. As for easing off the brakes on a big hill - I know the hill you're talking about. Could always just unplug it and shift down for the ride to the bottom. I've done that hill a few times without issues - just drive faster!
    Unplugging the trailer isn't going to stop the brakes from over heating going down steep hills. The brakes on the trailer don't care if they have electric power or not. They are inertia brakes, the electrical connection on the reverse light is only for backing up. This is because when the truck pushes the trailer back the tongue slides towards the boat, this is activating the inertia brakes.

At LBC we stay at 3 Rivers also, and the hill is brutal on your trailer brakes. We have a metal L plug that goes into the side of the tongue to physically make it impossible for the trailer brakes to come on. The truck gets pushed a lot harder down the hill but that means you just have to mind your speed more and your truck brakes get a bigger workout.

Jake if you want to upgrade to the 5pin flat i think i got one with the new boat, if so we can meet up for an exchange bro.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]