Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I used the diamond hole saw for ceramic tile, i worked perfect with out and chipping of the gel coat. It made a nice smooth clean cut that was not sharp or jagged. I would recommend this for anybody who need to cut a hole in their boat!
    2017 Helix

Wakemakers 1050s
    Bow bag ( Surf edition)
    Autowake

Quote Originally Posted by chadjitsu1 View Post
    I appreciate the offer to come and help, maybe just cold beer and skiing instead of working when you come through. The reason I drought up the sand paper or dremal is to bevel the edge of the hole so that it doesn't crack the gel coat. Maybe I'm confusing the process for installing a tower vs a thru hull fitting.

I think I might have it I just need to grow a pair and start drilling into the bottom of a perfectly good boat. Has anyone ever used a larger thru hull fitting and ran 2 pumps off of it? I would think going to like an 1 1/4 thru hull would be able to handle the flow requirements of 2 Johnson reversible pumps.
    A 1" will handle the flow rate of 2 reversible pumps, no need to go with 1.25".

how will a 1inch intake handle two reversible pumps?? Maybe when you are filling them up but it is still only a i inch hole that two pumps are fighting to push water out of. I would just put in one extra 1 inch thru hull. I spoke to wake makers last year and they recommend for each pump to have its one thru hull. when you see the kinda pressure these pumps put out you will understand why......
    2017 Helix

Wakemakers 1050s
    Bow bag ( Surf edition)
    Autowake

when you see the kinda pressure these pumps put out you will understand why......
    Yep, see it! been doing ballast installs for 5 years now. You would actually be surprised how little pressure these types of pumps produce. Its all about flow and volume, so pressure is just a byproduct.

My advice to the OP, If I new more details about the system as a whole and how it was going to be used, I may make the suggestion of going with a dedicated t-hull for each pump. But, the question was asked and I answered it based on my experience and knowledge. Take the recommendations of those your are purchasing from.

so what you mean is that if i run two pumps off of one 1 inch t-hull that my fill and empty times will be exactly the same as 2 separate dedicated t-hulls...... I have not being doing ballast installs for five years but I don't understand how that would be possible. I just know that if you are spending the money on the reversible pump system you would want it to be efficient as possible and if you are drilling on hole, you might as well do two and do it right.
    Last edited by saskie99; 03-06-2013 at 10:03 PM.
    2017 Helix

Wakemakers 1050s
    Bow bag ( Surf edition)
    Autowake

Saskie99,

I can not comment as to why the folks at Wakemakers suggested you go with individual t-hulls. I know absolutely nothing about your system design or how its used. I do not know the exact context of the conversation. Knowing Jason and Spencer, I am sure it was solid advice at the time it was given, based on your particular setup.

Lets go back and break down chadjitsu1's question about intake size.

would think going to like an 1 1/4 thru hull would be able to handle the flow requirements of 2 Johnson reversible pumps.
    This thread started out with some questions about the actual installation, particularly drilling holes. I drew the conclusion that the OP had already designed and purchased his ballast system. Chad later asked if a 1.25" thru-hull would handle the flow of 2 reversible pumps. The answer is yes. I stated that a 1" can handle the flow of 2 reversible pumps. He did not ask about how he should configure his system. He did no ask if he should go with a single 1.25" t-hull. In fact, he didnt state what he was/is planning on going with, he simply asked about flow rate and a thru-hull size. So as they say in court, asked and answered. I did not suggest he go with a single 1", I did not suggest he go with a single 1.25". I did not make the claim that the flow rate would be equal. You seem to be making an argument against a recommendation that wasn't made and your position is based on a recommendation made to you, that was of a different context.

Unfortunately, I am pressed for time this time of the year, so I do not have the time to mock up a dual pump system using a 1" and 1.25" t-hull and measure the flow rate of the 2. But, im willing to bet that there would be a slight reduction in flow with the 1" and it would be measured in seconds, when filling or draining a typical sac. Maybe next fall when it slows up, I can do this an report back.

Ok if i decided to go with a 1 inch fitting and run 2 pumps off of it would it make that big of a difference on the flow rate. It might be worth it to me to save 3 holes in the bottom of the boat if my fill times are only going to be changed my one minute total. I am willing to save money and peace of mind to go this rout. plus in the case where I may be filling and emptying (to change sides for surfing) this might actually not affect the fill rate at all because the one pump would be feeding the other.

Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Saskie99,

I can not comment as to why the folks at Wakemakers suggested you go with individual t-hulls. I know absolutely nothing about your system design or how its used. I do not know the exact context of the conversation. Knowing Jason and Spencer, I am sure it was solid advice at the time it was given, based on your particular setup.

Lets go back and break down chadjitsu1's question about intake size.

This thread started out with some questions about the actual installation, particularly drilling holes. I drew the conclusion that the OP had already designed and purchased his ballast system. Chad later asked if a 1.25" thru-hull would handle the flow of 2 reversible pumps. The answer is yes. I stated that a 1" can handle the flow of 2 reversible pumps. He did not ask about how he should configure his system. He did no ask if he should go with a single 1.25" t-hull. In fact, he didnt state what he was/is planning on going with, he simply asked about flow rate and a thru-hull size. So as they say in court, asked and answered. I did not suggest he go with a single 1", I did not suggest he go with a single 1.25". I did not make the claim that the flow rate would be equal. You seem to be making an argument against a recommendation that wasn't made and your position is based on a recommendation made to you, that was of a different context.

Unfortunately, I am pressed for time this time of the year, so I do not have the time to mock up a dual pump system using a 1" and 1.25" t-hull and measure the flow rate of the 2. But, im willing to bet that there would be a slight reduction in flow with the 1" and it would be measured in seconds, when filling or draining a typical sac. Maybe next fall when it slows up, I can do this an report back.

chad, Mike (MLA) knows his stuff. Just FYI, the 2009+ model year GIII systems w/ the reversible pumps have 1 thru hull per pump (i.e. 3 total thru hulls). Prior to the reversibles, a lot of guys were having sucess with a T on the intake and running 2 aerator style intake pumps.

Jusy my opinion, but you've bought the expensive part of your system with the pumps so why not just dedicate a line to each.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    ...Jusy my opinion, but you've bought the expensive part of your system with the pumps so why not just dedicate a line to each.
    I would agree with that, as how much is the additional hose and fittings. That's what I am doing right now.

Though the equation for flow is; Flow (Q) = V*A (Velocity of the fluid x Cross-Sectional Area), so if you keep the cross sectional area, either one inch or inch and a quarter, and double the flow (Q) you will end up just doubling the fluid's velocity. This is of course ignoring the effects of fluid velocities and drag.

But like others have said, your already drilling one hole...
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Its not so much a money thing as it is a Swiss cheese thing for me. I'm just nervous about it that's all. The way it looks all I would need to do is add one extra fitting if I share fittings with a T. I am going to go out and buy a diamond bit for this no matter what. I really like what I hear from saski99. I think that is going to take a lot of the trickery out of it without the worries of chipping gel coat and other things. Maybe I will set this up in the garage and actually test it to see exactly what king of flow difference I get. All I need to do is hook my new pump up to a 1 inch fitting and read the flow rates then hook up 2 pumps and see what it looks like, should be easy enough especially since I need to buy a 1 inch fitting either way right?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    chad, Mike (MLA) knows his stuff. Just FYI, the 2009+ model year GIII systems w/ the reversible pumps have 1 thru hull per pump (i.e. 3 total thru hulls). Prior to the reversibles, a lot of guys were having sucess with a T on the intake and running 2 aerator style intake pumps.

Jusy my opinion, but you've bought the expensive part of your system with the pumps so why not just dedicate a line to each.