Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Thru Hull Fitting Advice

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Me & E will come and drink some beers & start drillin holes in your boat. My Dad's got an ultimate set of tools.

http://youtu.be/QUwSy-w8Apw
    Yeah, I'm in Canton and we are in Cumming all the time. Hoping to move over that way soon. But if you need help Drew and I will come hang out. We have a lot of work to do to my boat anyway so really what's one more boat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

That sounds awesome man. Let me know when you have some time. I am thinking about getting the boat out at the end of this month. I have it a a marina now on a dry slip so I need to make sure the weather isnt going to get cold enough to do any damage before I drop it in the water to get it on the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by E4NASH View Post
    Yeah, I'm in Canton and we are in Cumming all the time. Hoping to move over that way soon. But if you need help Drew and I will come hang out. We have a lot of work to do to my boat anyway so really what's one more boat...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Prior to the reversibles, a lot of guys were having sucess with a T on the intake and running 2 aerator style intake pumps.
    I run this with two T-1200's and one side fills faster than the other, but slower in general than when running one at a time. (Basically the 1" can't handle two pumps pulling at the same time "as well".)

You could always start with the T setup, if you don't like it, add another hole+fitting+valve. Much easier to add more holes than to remove them.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

To keep things in perspective, I'd like to point out a couple of things in regards to what Berger is experiencing. 1) the T1200 is a higher GPH pump, and 2) the T1200 is an aerator style pump and not a self-priming impeller pump. The aerator's flow is dependent upon a good supply of water into the pump body inlet. its designed to push water. The self-priming impeller pumps have the ability to draw the water into the pump at the same time its forcing it out the other side.

For a dedicated surf setup, or at least a system thats primary focus is on surfing, you can easily and most definitely use a single t-hull for the two rear sacs. 90% of the time, you will only be filling one rear sac and a belly/bow sac at a time. So the occasions are rare that both the rear sac fill pumps will be running at the same time.

Default Re: Thru Hull Fitting Advice

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    So the occasions are rare that both the rear sac fill pumps will be running at the same time.
    Mike, you need to come surfing with us. Its not so rare.

Default Thru Hull Fitting Advice

Later tonight I will be posting the details of my ballast project...both pumps will be running for both sides.

SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Jason, very nice video! I wish you would have showed how it's nice to have another guy hold the fitting from the bottom when you tighten the nut though. Still, nice job taking the fear away for folks. Thanks for sharing this, Mike.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Looks super easy, I think I got it. Thanks for posting that video

Ok so today i had some free time and I decided to set this up and test it to see exactly what kind of flow difference I would get if I used T fittings and ran 2 pumps off of one thru hull fitting VS one thru hull fitting per pump. Below are the results of the test.

Stand alone pump (one pump and one thru hull)
    Flow rate = 13.5 GPM

400 LB Bag = 48 gal = 3.5 min
    650 LB Bag = 78 gal = 5 min
    700 LB Bag = 84 gal = 6.2 min
    1100 LB Bag = 133 gal = 10 min

2 pumps on one thru hull only one running (one pump sucks air from the other, not a good seal)
    Flow Rate = 12 GPM

400 LB Bag = 48 gal = 4 min
    650 LB Bag = 78 gal = 6.5 min
    700 LB Bag = 84 gal = 7.5 min
    1100 LB Bag = 133 gal = 11 min

Both Pumps running connected to the same thru hull fitting
    Flow Rate = 10.75

400 LB Bag = 48 gal = 4.5 min
    650 LB Bag = 78 gal = 7 min
    700 LB Bag = 84 gal = 8.25 min
    1100 LB Bag = 133 gal = 12.4 min

So my conclusion is that there is roughly a 20% +/- when running 2 mumps through the same fitting both filling and emptying. I am not sure if this has to do with the size of the thru hull fitting or if it has to do with the T fitting but it really does make a difference when setting these things up. Also one of the biggest things that surprised me was that the one pump would suck air from the other if only one was running. This also made a little bit of a difference.

So i guess the biggest question now is now much is 2.4 minutes worth to me. Is it really worth cutting 2 more holes in the bottom of the boat for that amount of time, plus the added cost of shut off ball valves and thru hull fittings. I am trying to figure that out for my own personal set up I guess. I also wonder if once water is in the line if the air sucking issue will go away, maybe the water will create a better seal around the impeller on the pump and not let this happen. I am still on the fence about the whole thing to be honest with you.

Just thought that I would share my findings with everyone, obviously its better to go with a thru hull fitting per pump but the difference is only 2.4 minutes. Also my math may be off just a little bit, I rounded my numbers FYI.
    Last edited by chadjitsu1; 03-09-2013 at 06:39 PM.