Default trans fluid change

I HAVE A 99 OUTBACK WANTING TO CHANGE TRANS FLUID TAKES DEXTRON 3 FLUID BUT LOST MANUAL HOW MANY QUARTS AND IS THERE ANY FILTERS?
    KIM BUSH

Default trrans

Have a 99 also. Am looking at the book and will tell you what it says. But I haven't done this maintainence myself, so I can't verify it. Maybe Brian Raymond will see this post and give you the real practical advice on the subject.

Book covers Italian ZF marine models HSW 450 D and HSW 630 D. Plate on transmission should identify the unit. Both take 2 liters ( 2.12 quarts ) of Dexron II, apparently if dry. (book says Dex II, but Dex III has probably replaced this product on store shelves)

Level check is without screwing the dipstick back into the hole.

Recommended fluid change is at 25 hours, then each 300 hours after that ( or once per year, whatever comes first ).

Filter is apparently at the bottom of the trans unit, held by a small cover and two bolts, and the book recommends that the element be checked for wear with each fluid change.

Book says that fluid is to be drained out of the bottom of the trans, when the bolts are removed. ( You will probably find that the filter cannot be removed on your outback due to mounting location interference with floor ; Nautical Marine in Richmond told me that the transmission filter cannot be changed without removing the transmission, but that fluid can be changed by using a pump to suck fluid out of the dipstick hole.

Level check after refill should be done on the water, after a trial run, letting the unit idle in neutral for a little bit of time to fill all the lines. Level check is done with motor off.

Level check should be repeated again after short drive.

Fluid should be added or removed ( maybe with a syringe or gravy baster) depending on level check.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you solve it...

Brian Raymond Guest

Default Tranny Fluid Change

Catdog is on it. The easiest way is to suck it up through the dipstick hole. Once all the fluid is retrieved, bump the motor a few times(this wll move fluid from the lines and trans.cooler) then suck it up again. I feel comfortable with adding 1.5qts. right off hand. Take a qt. w/you when backing off the trailer, idling in fwd. for a few moments and bring the engine up to running temp. (160deg.). turn off the engine and check fluid level, add accordingly, on the water.Dexron III is the suggested fluid. Hope we helped. Brian Raymond