Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LSV as a ski boat

I am looking to buy a Mobius LSV new. But I have 1 concern- all the reviews and videos I can find relate to wakeboarding. While that's great, we also have some serious skiers in the family, and I want to ensure that it is also a good ski boat. I appreciate that when I get a "versatile" boat, I must compromise, but this is a major investment and I don't want my skiers disappointed. Should I look at a different model? Thanks. Gord

I suggest a demo because like you said, it's a major investment. You'll get some opinions here but I know I would want to try it out first hand and see what your serious skiers think. LSV or not, there is definitely a Moomba boat in the line up that will meet your needs, and I'm looking forward to pics of your new boat once you settle on the right one.

If you want a ski boat, look at the Outback. If you want a wakeboard or surf style boat, look at the LSV or Mojo (although you can ski behind either you really aren't seriously running the course). If you want a great crossover that can do both, look at the Outback V. If it's big enough for you it may be perfect for your needs.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I had the same question/concerns and came to the conclusion that we primarily wakeboard these days and pulled the trigger. There was a recent similar discussion on a Mojo review and someone mentioned the Mojo had a great ski wake at speed which gave me more hope for the skiing behind the LSV. I just hope that means I don't have to try slaloming at 40mph this year! A demo would have been ideal, but we still got two feet of ice and not an option when ordering in time for lake season.

Of course there is always the OBV for the best cross-over value, but the additional size of the LSV was more important to us. It's a tough call regardless, I would get the boat that best suites your needs unless the others are making payments on it to!
    2013 Mobius LSV
    2004 Centurion T5

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    I am looking to buy a Mobius LSV new. But I have 1 concern- all the reviews and videos I can find relate to wakeboarding. While that's great, we also have some serious skiers in the family, and I want to ensure that it is also a good ski boat. I appreciate that when I get a "versatile" boat, I must compromise, but this is a major investment and I don't want my skiers disappointed. Should I look at a different model? Thanks. Gord
    if they are aggressive skiers who like to run the course, then they will not like it. I came from a direct drive malibu sun setter which was a great water ski boat to my lsv which in my opinion is not a great ski boat. i guess it comes down to what you are used to, I dont ski behind mine unless i really need to !
    2017 Helix

Wakemakers 1050s
    Bow bag ( Surf edition)
    Autowake

We ski behind ours regularly, more than we wakeboard. We surf a lot too and we love the size and openness of the boat, something you won't get in a direct drive. We are not tournament skiers by any stretch. I agree with the take a demo ride if you can. That's the only way to know for sure. If you do demo try adding some ballast to the middle bag and see how it affects the wake.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

hey RCA you live in Texas? How about you go out and rip it, shoot some video and toss it up? That way the northerners amongst us can dream about living in Texas and also check out that LSV wake. After reading about the mojo "ski wake" I was surprised to see the video of guys charging the slalom wake behind another brand's mojo-like boat and it was more skiable than I would have guessed.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Well I'm in New York and Boston this week. We are going to try and get out in a couple of weeks. I'll see if I can find some video from last year.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

This is great feedback. But I'm like skiyaker, only worse off here in northern Canada. We're lucky to be skiing (water that is)by mid May and are done by Labour Day. Hence time is of the essence and demos would probably cost me a month. Quare: why did I choose to like water skiing so much? Videos of skiers behind an LSV would be great!!

Personally - as a skier - I would never consider a V-drive. I have never skied behind one - but the whole concept of why I/Os are bad is all the weight is in the back. You may be able to convince me if you have some wake modification device - a wedge or a plate or ??. But here is what I do know. Most wakeboarders need big wakes in their mind. The only people who need monster wakes are people who have the nads to do serious air - upside down. Everything else is just wake-to-wake - and I can do that on my slalom ski behind my old outboard. A good wakeboarder can board recreationally behind a good ski boat with some fat sacs in it. A good skier can get killed on a bad wake.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off