Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boat house building tips?

WELL, I finally bought a lot on a lake! Time to get rolling on building a boathouse to store my boat in ASAP.

Of you who have or have had a boat house, Can you make any recommendations of things you wish you had done, or hadnt done... Any little things that you would do over..

the base design is going to be approximately 21' Wide x 30' long....

Is a hanging lift best option or have some tried the floating lifts that fill pontoons with water to sink/empty to raise..?

What else?
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Congrats!! I bet you are pumped.

I've only had experience with floating lifts and never had any issues. I would imagine your lake and dock will dictate the type of lift but I could be wrong. Is it going to be a floating dock?

I've recently given some thought to the topic and things that came to my mind were ...

How will the lift mount? Floating is typically from the front so you can make the width whatever size you needed? With a wide slip you wouldn't have to fold in board racks. That would be huge!

I was thinking the same thing on length, I think 30 ft is a good number.

Consider going ahead and running electrical outlets and lighting.

Obviously have the roof high enough you can raise the boat without having to fold the tower. Also on the roof, I was thinking have overhang if possible to help shade the boat as well as keep rain off of it when it's windy?

My father in law always likes to tell me what the water temp is from his gauge on the dock.

And I think there is some sort of requirement to have a fake owl in there somewhere.
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 03-01-2013 at 06:34 PM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Awesome brad! Water depth also dictates what kind of lift you can go with. I think the floating style requires deeper water. What lake are you on??

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

congrats!! bet your gonna have it all set up in no time

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

David
    It's on big bay lake outside Hattiesburg ms. 1000 ac private lake.
    Keep the tips coming.
    It's a deep spot but not completely sure of total depth. Hanging lift will most likely be best.
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

Congrats, Brad! Sounds like a lot of fun. Let me know if you need help with the barn raising and we'll get some guys up there.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Congrats Brad!
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Good choice not buying in LA! I have a buddy who used to live on a small lake in Quitman, MS. I would love to live on the water full time! I need a raise!

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Boat houses are not used much up in my region, and the only reason I can think of is because the ice action in the spring would tear them apart. The one's I have seen that I really like were set back on the beach and have tracks running into the water and the boat runs on a cradle and winched up/down on the tracks and protects you from water level fluctuations. The really trick ones have a loft above with a useable living space and are plumbed and wired and could double as a guest cabin. The other option would be to put a flat roof on it and use it as deck area.

What we call a 'boat house' up in the northy is basically a shed near the water that you stash all of your gear and junk in.
    2013 Mobius LSV
    2004 Centurion T5

I would love to live there too. It's 2:15 from work.
    I'm gonna keep renting in LA and have this for weekends.
    Ill downsize my rental here when I start building.

The boat house will be fully enclosed.
    Brad

2004 Outback sold