Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2003 Jeep Wrangler

So some of this just maybe me thinking out loud;

I had a random thought of getting a Jeep Wrangler. I had one in the past, and getting that itch to have one again. I like the 4x4 convertable. I came across a 2003 model, Rubicon model too, that looks good on the interweb and in my price range. My preference is to the TJ series 1997-2006. And would ranther be on the newer end

Now the concern. Towing the boat (base OB). I know the answer for the most part is a big NO. But my argument is, from the boat location to the launch is 2.5 miles away. The majority is through residential neighborhood, 25 mph limits, little to no traffic. The short stretch (.8 mile to be exact) is on a main street, 4 lane, stop light intersection, 35 mph limit. I have no concern about HP,torque, strength of drivetrain as it is the same used in the grand cherokee that has a higher tow rating. I know the short wheel base and suspension design is the limiting factor in this.

I don't go anywhere else 99% of the time, always the same route. Route has gas station for boat refueling. If I need to go anywhere else, I have access to borrow a bigger vehicle. Complete no go? Or.....

Side note; Some may remember me showing off a Tundra, but I have sold that during the off season. Plan was just to borrow my dads pickup truck as needed, thus saving on vehicle costs. He is retired and helpful like that. He is also a regular boat driver/spotter. I am not to cheap to buy a regular truck either but my dad and I agree, we dont need extras of the same large items if we can easily share between households.
    Last edited by Hoopskier; 02-24-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Likely more than twice the rates tow capacity; my fear would be a few things;

1. Any fast stops, say bye bye.

2. I wonder how it would do on the launch.

3. You are open to a to of liability, should something happen.
    2013 Outback V

I used a TJ (99 model) for towing short distances. It did fine. Make sure your trailer brakes are in good condition. Also, back then, I had a difficult time finding a hitch rated for the boat that would fit the TJ, it may be easier now.

If you can step up, the newer 4 door wranglers would be better choice for just about all conditions except extreme off roading.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

The insurance perspective on towing beyond rated max would be a concern in the off chance something ever did happen.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I have an 07 and it would do fine on residential roads though I haven't tried it mostly because I have the doors and top off in the summer and I don't care to keep it at the launch. Stay away from highway speeds as the boat will prevent you from avoiding stuff (i.e. people, cars, animals & garbage). My Jeep has a 2,000 pound capacity and the 4 door has a 3,500 capacity. Go figure as one is a stretch model of the other.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Might sound crazy but..a friend if mine towed his 20.5' Chaparral from Arizona to Oregon with his 03 Rubi for five years running (We do a huge annual trip for a week) and only got something else because it got stolen. Not my idea of a tow rig but will definitely do what you are asking easily.
    -Jake

2.5 miles in good weather at low speeds? Shoot, I'd tow that far with my lawn tractor. Make sure the trailer brakes are good and quit worrying. Just hope you can get up the ramp.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

if I still had my 98 wrangler Id be using it just about everytime we go out to our local lake-its about 2 miles away and all in my sub division.

4x4 and using 4low and ramps would not be a issue at all
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I'd do it, but as the old saying goes, gotta pay to play. be prepared to take any flak from an accident should you have one. guessing even one that's not your fault, we all know another person's insurance will look for any reason to push the claim off them..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

The flak you'd get if you were pulling the boat with the weight double the towing capacity of a vehicle, then caused or a contributing factor in an accident and killed someone would be as a minimum a civil suit and take everything you have up to and including a manslaughter charge with fines and time in prison. You should get by the police as the Wrangler looks like it can tow more than what it is rated at but if it looked obvious the police will stop you. Thats why in town with slow speeds there is less risk of hurting someone.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD