Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default I hope this is ok to ask

I have been on many forums where posts go sideways and turn negative, if this does that hen the mods can delete immediately.

My daughters family (x wife) bought a XLV brand new. I think it is a 2008. Super nice, and they have plenty of cash to buy a Supra or any other brand boat for that matter. My sister and brother in law recently bought a 2008 22SSV launch used, they are not loaded like my daughters other family but got what looks like a smoking good deal buying from a really rich dude that just unloaded it so he could upgrade to something newer. It is a really nice boat as well.

I have done some reading and understand skier choice makes them both and have heard the comments one is like Cadillac and the other Chevy.

My question is if you take the 2 closest boats made between Supra and Moomba and compare them with what might be considered standard option what would the differences between the two be and how much "cheaper" would the Moomba be? And I guess the other question is if you take the same to boats and load them completely full of options what would the differences be and how much different in price?

I'm a DD nautique owner (bought used and can barely afford it but it was my "dream boat" to own) so I don't have a dog in the fight so to speak, but now being somewhat familiar with Skier choice boats I'm curious where the differences really lie and how much you can actually save.

This is kind of a hard question to answer if you are referring to a used boat. New, you can go to Supra.com and Moomba.com and get a spec sheet and see some of the differences. I'm going to try and answer it the best I can to my ability.

Supra is like the Lexus of our boats. It's the more "Luxury" line of boat and does have a deeper haul, deeper V and (my opinion) rides better on the water. It has more "Luxurious" features over what the moomba has such as (new boat mind you) power driver seat option, heated driver seat option, and several other quality things to make it that much more luxurious. It is a higher quality boat. The new supra's also come with Supra Vision system, a complete touch screen system to automatically set things such as your ballasts, wake plate and can map your co ordinance on a GPS Map. Over all, is it a better quality boat interior wise than a Moomba? that's a tough call to make, but if you look at it over all, I think the answer is yes, but that is also my opinion.

Now with that being said.....

The Moomba boat is your price point boat - Such as the Toyota of the family. You get basic things - granted still nice- but basic such as a swiveling driver seat but not near as "plush" or nice of a seat as you get on a Supra. The interior fabric is noticeably different IMO. It's a lighter boat than it's matching counterpart as far as what I can see in regards to dry weight. Engine options are there, but standard I believe they come with smaller engines and smaller fuel tanks. There are several things the Moomba's do not offer in regards to a Supra, a touch screen or computer dash is one of them. You can definitely tell the difference in the dashes between the Supra and Moomba and see the Moomba dash is a little more price friendly in same cases.

I'm trying to name off some of the key differences I see between the two boats and I know I'm missing several things about the two boats which I'm sure Drew can definite cover in much more depth and detail.

From what I can tell, Moombas are retailing in the low 50's and Supra's are retailing in the high 70's, 80's.

They are both great boats though to be quite honest with you. Moomba has come a long way with what they even had 4 years ago.
    Last edited by sicktc06; 02-19-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Stephen
    2009 Mobius LSV
    Black and Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by jsta281 View Post
    I have been on many forums where posts go sideways and turn negative, if this does that hen the mods can delete immediately.
    I think you will find mostly civil discourse and lots of information on here. We do love our Moombas but about 1/4 of the guys on here have Supras. I think what you will hear most often is that there is quality across both lines but the Supras definitely have a bling factor to support the higher price. Personally, I like the boat to be a little simpler because I don't want to visit the dealer after every weekend because my screen is on the fritz or my power seat isn't heating properly. Then again, my closest dealer is a 3 1/2 hour round trip or 7 hours if you drop it off and go back later to pick it up.
    Last edited by kaneboats; 02-20-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sicktc06 View Post
    This is kind of a hard question to answer if you are referring to a used boat. New, you can go to Supra.com and Moomba.com and get a spec sheet and see some of the differences. I'm going to try and answer it the best I can to my ability.

Supra is like the Lexus of our boats. It's the more "Luxury" line of boat and does have a deeper haul, deeper V and (my opinion) rides better on the water. It has more "Luxurious" features over what the moomba has such as (new boat mind you) power driver seat option, heated driver seat option, and several other quality things to make it that much more luxurious. It is a higher quality boat. The new supra's also come with Supra Vision system, a complete touch screen system to automatically set things such as your ballasts, wake plate and can map your co ordinance on a GPS Map. Over all, is it a better quality boat interior wise than a Moomba? that's a tough call to make, but if you look at it over all, I think the answer is yes, but that is also my opinion.

Now with that being said.....

The Moomba boat is your price point boat - Such as the Toyota of the family. You get basic things - granted still nice- but basic such as a swiveling driver seat but not near as "plush" or nice of a seat as you get on a Supra. The interior fabric is noticeably different IMO. It's a lighter boat than it's matching counterpart as far as what I can see in regards to dry weight. Engine options are there, but standard I believe they come with smaller engines and smaller fuel tanks. There are several things the Moomba's do not offer in regards to a Supra, a touch screen or computer dash is one of them. You can definitely tell the difference in the dashes between the Supra and Moomba and see the Moomba dash is a little more price friendly in same cases.

I'm trying to name off some of the key differences I see between the two boats and I know I'm missing several things about the two boats which I'm sure Drew can definite cover in much more depth and detail.

From what I can tell, Moombas are retailing in the low 50's and Supra's are retailing in the high 70's, 80's.

They are both great boats though to be quite honest with you. Moomba has come a long way with what they even had 4 years ago.
    Well that is what I was looking for, and yes I was talking retail to retail same year.

I can see the better stereo heated seats touch screen system with chrome and stainless accents making it a "nicer" boat. I did not realize hull design was different, I find that curious and perhaps the biggest difference. As a potential buyer I could easily forgo the "heated bling" stuff to save 20 k but hull performance would be a much bigger concern.

Any opinions on if/why the hull design is better comparing between the two?

I find it hard to understand that hull construction between the two would be significant enough to make the Supra cost more since the R&D is done and considering all the materials and molds are instantly available for both being the same company. And why would skier choice not use the same hull design (with accommodations for length) among all the boats? Why offer an inferior (if it is inferior) hull design for a boat built to accomplish the same thing?

I'm not a boat manufacturer so I obviously don't know the "why's" but that makes little sense that cost of production is so significant on a hull that they need a different "less expensive" hull for the price point boat.

Anyway thanks for engaging my curiosity I look forward to additional comments.

Quote Originally Posted by jsta281 View Post
    Well that is what I was looking for, and yes I was talking retail to retail same year.

I can see the better stereo heated seats touch screen system with chrome and stainless accents making it a "nicer" boat. I did not realize hull design was different, I find that curious and perhaps the biggest difference. As a potential buyer I could easily forgo the "heated bling" stuff to save 20 k but hull performance would be a much bigger concern.

Any opinions on if/why the hull design is better comparing between the two?

I find it hard to understand that hull construction between the two would be significant enough to make the Supra cost more since the R&D is done and considering all the materials and molds are instantly available for both being the same company. And why would skier choice not use the same hull design (with accommodations for length) among all the boats? Why offer an inferior (if it is inferior) hull design for a boat built to accomplish the same thing?

I'm not a boat manufacturer so I obviously don't know the "why's" but that makes little sense that cost of production is so significant on a hull that they need a different "less expensive" hull for the price point boat.

Anyway thanks for engaging my curiosity I look forward to additional comments.
    You offer inferior hulls to pull people to buy your premium product. If you are hard core into the wake and the best wake is 80k you will shoot for that. If you can get the same wake for 60k instead of 80k people have a lot less motivation to buy the nicer one.

And it's not just wake quality that differs but also freeboard like he said. Supras have higher freeboard, I would love to have the freeboard of a 21V but if you want that luxury you have to pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I see your point on the marketing aspect, that seems a bit disingenuous, but then again why make mooba customers pay for the R&D for the "extra special" hull. I understand this I spent more the I should have for the latest and greatest hull design even though it will likely have little to no impact on my ski ability.

Thanks for the comments I am getting a better understanding.

I have a supra and like the moombas too. Only reason I bought it new in the fall of 09 is because the economy was crap and I got a smoking deal on it. Funny thing is If I had all the money in the world I'd have a Malibu. They were my favorite boat at the show. All that really doesn't matter because I love my boat and my family and I have an a$$ full of fun on it. That is really the only thing that does matter. We use it every weekend but don't have any more fun than a family with a really old boat. It isn't the boat that makes it fun. It's the crew!!!!!!!!!!!!

The two 2008 models you spoke of in the original post are very similar boats. The xlv is slightly longer,and has a deeper draft 26" vs 25 ", while the supra is 2" wider. The Lsv can carry 16 ppl , the supra 15. Gas tanks both 40 gallons.
    Both have playpen seating, the supra has heavier vinyl and more motor options., bling factor

as stated above. Moomba = Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Chevy Supra = Lexus, infinity, Acura, Cadillac .

back in 2008 the price differential was was probably 20%. Lots of overlap back then. Fast forward , I believe SC is designing the lines of moomba and supra to be complimentary by offering different type boats in the size ranges... Ie the mojo and the SA. Very different and discontinuing certain models. IMO

Both boats are made side by side and I have never heard of either hull being inferior.

not sure why the original question was asked since everyone seems to have a nice boat and not looking for a new one, maybe just for general knowledge.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

This is kinda a loaded question in the fact that correct me if i'm wrong but no two boats actually use the same hull from either brand. All the hulls between the two are different,if not just slightly.

Once you get into either brand you can have boats come in different trims yet still be the same boat or actually come as a preloaded option boat IE Mobius version of the LSV or just Moomba LSV.

Definetely Supra gets the Bling and slightly highre quality on finishings etc but basic boat hulls and funtional parts etc are built to the same specs.

Both brands are very similar in there lineups as they both have a model either way that compliment one another, EXCEPT the supra lineup does NOT include any DD SKI boats,only Moomba. They used too but have not for a few years now.

A lot of it comes down to priorities. How bad do you want "X" boat and how much are you willing to spend. Is Bling and name factor a big part of your decision or not. EITHER BRAND sells Quality boats. I've had friends who own many other brands all say they LOVE my boat and wouldn't have minded saving some cash having the same boat.. Enough said.
    07 Outback DD

Quote Originally Posted by ditchsnake View Post
    Funny thing is If I had all the money in the world I'd have a Malibu. They were my favorite boat at the show.
    I think I could jump on that wagon too.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded