Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat dogs!

Default Boat dogs!

I've been thinking about this for a long time as its getting to the point id like to have a 4 legged companion to take around with me places such as boating and mountain biking. I've seen a variety of pups out there that seem to be trained so well such as English pointers all the way down to mini yorkies. I'm thinking of getting a lab because I want a bigger dog and want a dog who doesn't mind getting wet. Also, one whos very playful and as active as I am! (Don't judge me I need a beer fetcher ). My question for you guys is what kind of dog do you think would make a Great Lake dog? Also what accessories would you get? I'm curious to see the variety and success of certain dogs out there!

I've thought about it a little and am toying with the idea of having him trained in a different language though so no one would know his commands such as Russian. Seen this done with a dog On the lake and the command is so distinct over the other chatter he knew it was fo Him and he came a running.

Things a lake dog would need are:

Doggy life jacket is a must!
    Some food with a food bowl (duh everyone gets hungry on the lake!)
    I've researched some boots for the dog to wear so the interior is not hurt by their paws and nails. Have you guys had luck with this method?

What's your thoughts on good dogs or best practices in dog training and making sure not to damage anything?
    Stephen
    2009 Mobius LSV
    Black and Yellow

Default Boat dogs!

As far as water dogs go, we've had labs and golden retrievers, but will only have goldens from this point on. Actually or goldens have been the best dogs of any type I've ever had. You can't seem to hurt their feelings, they are always ready to go, are always smiling and love the water. They are sweet to everyone as well. They just want to be with their family but don't get hurt if you need to leave them.

We have Jasper in the boat a lot and have not noticed any issues with scratches. We don't use boots either. We do take him in to be groomed a couple of times a year and they clip his nails. We walk him quite a bit too so I don't think he nails get long. He loves the water, ANY WATER.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361206047.043700.jpg
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

my favorite dog is a black lab, so thats my recommendation, but any "water" dog would be good, stay away from the thin breeds, some cant swim

dont bother with doggy life jacket with that breed-lab

food--yes

look into nail caps/covers. i forget what there called (something paws?) but they glue on over there nails and stick on for a couple weeks i believe, or just trim and file the nails and you should not have any problems
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I think they were called "soft paws".

http://www.softpaws.net/
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Shade. Dogs get sun burnt also. Teach your dog not to wander as other groups nearby may not have the fondness that you have for your dog.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

My lab lost her boating privelages a few years ago after she jumped straight off the bow at cruising speed. I thought for sure I would have a mangled and bloody dog after I saw her take the leap straight out. Fortunately, she popped up in the wash with a bit of a confused look and we pulled her back in without a scratch on her. She hasn't been back in the boat since...
    2013 Mobius LSV
    2004 Centurion T5

Default Boat dogs!

Love my lab. We had to keep him tethered in the boat for a while. It took some training! He practically hung himself once, that was the last time he ever did that. I grew up with German
    Shepard's do I'm partial to them too.

Oh and I keep his nails trimmed!
    Last edited by beat taco; 02-18-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    -Jake

My favorite boat dogs are rca's golden, Jasper and Daze's mutt, Dakota. Personally, both too big for our family, but man those are 2 great dogs!

As well as thin dogs not swimming well, you're probably going to want to avoid an breed that has a big chest/head and thinner body such as a bulldog, pitbull, staffordshire bull terrier, etc.

FWIW - I find our dog to be a bigger PITA than the kids.

Default Boat dogs!

Wife has 2 toy poodles that rarely ever leave our sides. Sitting on my lap as I type this actually. The breed and small size makes them perfect for the water and will never damage the boat. Easy to lug around the truck and camp site also

Not sure how much your looking to spend but check out TGoodys post from yesterday, he has some trained pups up for sale in the classifieds.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361214280.146366.jpg

sent from my ipad2 via a wireless network which usually sucks
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Default Boat dogs!

We've always had Labs. Love them. And yes sometimes they can be more of a hassle if you have a full boat but also after they get out there and swim 15-20 minutes non stop playing fetch or whatever, they are pretty chill and wore out.

You can train your lab on any commands that you want. They don't necessarily have to be in a different language. Labs learn their masters tone and body language before they learn the actual "word" you are telling them. They are very smart and are constantly watching you. We use commands words like "Mark" and "Dead" for hunting, but around the house we talk to them as if they are people. Like "Go Ahead", "Easy" for be careful, "Look Out" for move, and of course Sit/Stay.

I haven't had any problems with their nails either, but they may be more because they run and play a lot on pavement so their nails are pretty worn down.
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...