Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks for all the info.

I was going to build a sealed box, but now I'm not sure. Would you suggest building a seal or ported box for it? Is one better than the other for a boat environment?

Spy60,
    That particular Kicker woofer is heavy mass and intended to go very low in a very small sealed box. It is going to like sealed. It's not a particularly articulate woofer with great pitch (tonal accuracy) but it has the ability to free up some cavities.
    This is just a general 'air suspension' (sealed) to 'bass-reflex' (ported) comparison.
    Sealed rolls off earlier but more gradual and ultimately extends deeper. Transient response and attack is good. It is very difficult to mess up sealed.
    Ported, in the most conservative sound quality alignment, produces an extra 3 dB of output (equivalent to double the amplifier power) in the meaty part of the bass over sealed. Ported provides an extra one/third octave of deep bass extension before reaching its half power point. Ported rolls off lower but at twice the rate. Ported has extremely low distortion around the tuning frequency. Ported can require a 40 to 60 percent increase in total external enclosure displacement. Ported can be a bit trickier to get right.
    Again, MLA has great experience with Kicker subs. Take his recommendation and run with it.

David

I agree with David. The L7 will perform great in a sealed enclosure. Although a ported can be done successfully, a sealed offers a greater margin of error. This goes along way in a boat where you have a fixed space in which to construct an adequate enclosure. Like David mentioned, baby got back! The L7 has a big heavy motor and its displacement, as well as the port volume, all have to be excluded from the enclosures net volume. Those factors can make for a large enclosure in limited space. I would go sealed, this combo will perform nicely.

Default Re: Looking for amp to power 10" L7 2 ohm DVC

Is there much difference between the original 500/1 and the 500/1v2 ?
    2002 Mobius LSV