Default Get Young Kids To Read?

My cousin sent an e-mail today saying his 7 year old was reading all the time now and had discovered a series of books he loved. The author? Dav Pilkey. He's the "Captain Underpants" award winning author. I told him that's how I got my twin boys reading a lot more. They loved his books and the next thing I knew they were reading Harry Potter and fantasy stuff and all kinds of other things. But, they discovered FUN reading thanks to this author. So, I wanted to suggest to anyone who has (approximately) 5-9 year olds that don't read or don't like to read, just get one of these books and start reading it to them. Then hand the kid the book and say, "Keep reading, I'll be back in a minute." Great stuff. The guy never grew up and understands kids and how they like to laugh and like the ridiculous stuff. Here's his website:

http://www.pilkey.com/
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

thanks. I'll share it with the wife.
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)

You mean our kids are going to need to know how to read? I thought Obama was going to announce a new program tonight where the gov't will now do everyone's reading for them.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    You mean our kids are going to need to know how to read? I thought Obama was going to announce a new program tonight where the gov't will now do everyone's reading for them.
    ROFL lol

Hey, proud of my oldest girl, Rachel. She wrote a story for a contest and won a Vinci, an electronic device similar to an iTouch/Droid. They don't have a direct link to it, but when you see the scrolling advertisements in the middle, click on the 2nd dot. How is this related? They sell educational mat'l for it. She actually loves reading on it. They don't have the app released for her story yet, but you can download/read the PDF version. Pretty neat for her age.

http://www.vincigenius.com/en/
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '99 BMW 528it

Best story I've read all day! My oldest daughter wrote "Jelly Bean Black Saves The Day" a few years back. Still one of my favorite books.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Best story I've read all day! My oldest daughter wrote "Jelly Bean Black Saves The Day" a few years back. Still one of my favorite books.
    thanks. yours sounds neat too!
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '99 BMW 528it