Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default 2013 audio overhaul

By the looks of a few recent threads, it appears that I'm not the only one with new stereo plans. I really have no car/boat audio/electrical experience whatsoever and my plans for my system have been created solely through my forum browsing.

Basically looking for input/suggestions as to what I might be missing. A little background, i have a 2012 LSV, v2 tower, 2 stock roswell tower speakers, 4 stock kicker in-boats, stock 4 channel amp, stock HU, dual battery with on-board charger from the factory.

My plans are for:
    4 exile xm9s
    4 exile sx65-ms
    1 exile harpoon 1000w
    1 exile 800.4
    exile ZLD

I'd like to keep everything else the same if it will work, this way it makes the install essentially plug and play with the exception of the ZLD.

Heres a few Qs:
    -we do tend to hang out quite a bit with the boat off/stereo on (just loud enough to hear while swimming in the vicinity) will 2 batteries suffice?
    -the installer is the only local installer that advertises anything marine audio although I've never seen any boats at their shop as i drive past almost daily (NE ohio has a significantly limited market, only 2 small lakes within an hours drive) My question here is any suggestions regarding wiring that i can suggest or look for to try to micro manage? I seem to remember numerous posts on various forums regarding noise due to which battery is hooked to which??(remember, zero audio experience here)
    -I seem to remember a post that ive been unable to locate that someone showed a hidden passage between the passenger compartment and the drivers area on the LSVs which will make wiring the ZLD significantly easier.
    -As for a sub, I'm sure someone will ask why not and the answer is simply I'm spending enough as it is on the new stereo and didnt want to push it much more so i figured I would try without a sub for the time being and could always add later in the season or next.

Basically just looking for some info so when i do get everything installed I'm not getting the wool pulled over my eyes or there isnt some glaring component, aspect of the system im missing.
    2014 SC350
    2012 LSV - sold

personally, ditch 2 of the xm9's initially and add a sub, getting the other xm9's later. that system will sound good, but a sub will make it sound great. sell the stock stuff to fund part of the sub/amp.

just my .02..

should be nice when you are done...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Turk -

Sounds like you have a project on your hands. Many guys have that setup and it rocks. When planning your upgrade I like to break the boat into different zones - Tower / sub / cabin to address the goals of each. The ZLD that your speaking about will control all 3 zones. Overall, the system that you've laid out is great tower and cabin wise, but lacking n the sub zone. You could take sandM advice and ditch a pair of tower speakers or you could put that zone on the list down the road to upgrade. Having a subwoofer will add almost a full octave of musical information that is not otherwise part of the boat stereo. You dont have to be a bass head to think about using a sub.

As to your questions...

Heres a few Qs:
    -we do tend to hang out quite a bit with the boat off/stereo on (just loud enough to hear while swimming in the vicinity) will 2 batteries suffice?
    *** depends on how much time you going to be sitting. 2 batteries will buy you 3+ hours of play time while the engine is off. This is not much concern when your underway (engine on) and pulling boarders etc.

-The installer is the only local installer that advertises anything marine audio although I've never seen any boats at their shop as i drive past almost daily (NE ohio has a significantly limited market, only 2 small lakes within an hours drive)
    *** I've got a great guy I could refer you to out of Cleveland if thats close. Or if you want to be a DIY guy, we typically guide people step by step right down to the final tune.

My question here is any suggestions regarding wiring that i can suggest or look for to try to micro manage?
    ** if you want to shoot me a PM, I can send you wire charts on the whole system as you've laid out.

-I seem to remember a post that ive been unable to locate that someone showed a hidden passage between the passenger compartment and the drivers area on the LSVs which will make wiring the ZLD significantly easier.
    *** if you order the ZLD KIT - it comes with 4 20ft RCA's which will give you enough distance to run around your helm. or straight across should you choose.

-As for a sub, I'm sure someone will ask why not and the answer is simply I'm spending enough as it is on the new stereo and didnt want to push it much more so i figured I would try without a sub for the time being and could always add later in the season or next.
    ** as discussed above, this thinking is just fine. Treat it as a separate project when that time comes.

-Brian

Thanks for the replies guys. Brian as for the installer in Cleveland i would greatly appreciate some info. Its only about an hour and 15 away and I was looking for an excuse to not use my local installer as I was somewhat put off by the attitude i received upon inquiring about the install. As far as installation is concerned, am i correct in thinking that this install should only take a few hours being that its plug 'n play for the most part?

I think the issue I have with the sub is that I've not been in any boats with a fantastic system so I lack a point of reference regarding systems with sub vs not.
    2014 SC350
    2012 LSV - sold

I live in Bostic, NC. I normally boat on lake James in Marion, NC

I don't think u could even get started in a couple hours much less finish to much stuff todo. I don't care if it was plug and play
    2011 Xlv with 325hp and stock Gravity lll

Yes it will take a few days to get it done. I have my dealer swap out my gear as they are all equipped for audio installs. Might check out that option. Sub is a necessity and two of the xm9 s should be just fine. I did the same upgrade you are contemplating, this spring I will be swapping out the factory 700.5 kicker amp for a dedicated sub and exile xi 800.4 amp..
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Default 2013 audio overhaul

I'd say a few hours every night for a week or so

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

freshturk,
    There are several really good reasons to include a subwoofer in your system even if you have a conservative attitude about bass and its emphasis. In anticipating how your system will perform I think you are overlooking the importance of this ingredient.
    An 8-inch speaker on the tower, like the XM9, is a very decent size, however, the bass extension is determined more by the pod displacement versus the cone size. And tower speakers short of a 5 gallon drum, do not play low enough to cover the entire music spectrum. Neither do 6.5" in-boat speakers. As you increase speed and increase volume, the bandwidth (musical range) tends to narrow more, paricularly towards the bass end of the spectrum. Sound quality becomes a matter of the proper balance.
    You can highpass (filter) tower speakers and in-boat speakers at 70 hertz (an entire octave above the point at which you can still perceive pitch) as a test and for the most part you will not detect a loss of material. That is because the output is already diminished by half the nominal output as we perceive it. Without a subwoofer you are eliminating an octave of fundamentals with diminishing contribution for nearly two octaves. Think in terms of erasing the last octave of a large piano with all those keys missing.
    In the enclosed cabin of a vehicle or within a room in your home, the subwoofer requirement is not nearly as important. But in the acoustics of an open-field environment, a subwoofer becomes an essential element.
    If you are satisfied with musical balance, and not looking for bass dominance, then a decent quality 10-inch subwoofer and amplifier can be packaged for $250 pre enclosure.
    Of all the people to team up with, I would be most concerned with my local installer if I am dependent on an installer. If you micro-manage the project and supply all the equipment then there is always a chance that you have eliminated ownership and accountability on his part. Some won't even accept the work on that basis. Others may see it as just another paying job. Without considerable experience, to think that you are qualified to manage the process and control the outcome is dreaming. Keep looking until you find an installer that you completely trust. Then consider reciprocal support by giving them the option of supplying the equipment. The total price might not be that different but you may end up with far more value and long term satisfaction. Think service down the road. Just another route to entertain.

David

I live in Bostic, NC. I normally boat on lake James in Marion, NC

I agree with earmarkmarine a sub is a huge factory and this past summer my sub went out and it killed my system and IMO to me it killed the range on my tower speakers as well while boarding. I think the bass was canceling out some of the engine noise and helpin the tower speakers overcome it a bit.

As far as price goes a simple sub set up wouldn't cost much. even as over the top as mine is I only paid 280 for the amp 280 for both subs 40 for a sheet of plywood 15 for carpet and say 30 for glue screws and stuff and you wouldn't need nearly as much to be effective so for 645 I have a very loud set of subs. So I def think for 300 u could have a nice sub amp box combo and it greatly help out ur sound
    2011 Xlv with 325hp and stock Gravity lll

Do it yourself for two reasons. 1. The system will break and you will have to take the boat to your installer to go through it and find out what went wrong. If you are the installer you will know every piece and where everything is. When you decide to change something you will know what you have and what you need to do. Yes, it will take longer but you can do it and; 2. It's fun to work on your boat and get things exactly how you want them.

Also, there's plenty of help on here to guide you.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!