Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2001 Mobius v22

So............................ new(to-you) Moomba owner yet?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    So............................ new(to-you) Moomba owner yet?
    Not fully. Everything including a bill of sale is into the bank. Unless nada or hull info problems arise I would say its done. I'm gonna find a shop in Amarillo to do the pre buy for a piece of mind. Although I still cruising classifieds looking for that elusive package in my budget. Wife is already giving me a hard time that I have 2500 more already spent and maybe we should get a boat that has more.

Hey, stupid question. For surfing, since you weighting one side, what do you do with the other side? Empty it, run400 pounds?

Default 2001 Mobius v22

On that boat, I'd say empty. You can always try a bit in the off side & see what it does. The Mojo likes the surf side 1,100 full & about 500 In the off side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    On that boat, I'd say empty. You can always try a bit in the off side & see what it does. The Mojo likes the surf side 1,100 full & about 500 In the off side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    You said empty then you said about 500 in the off side? I just wanna make sure I am sure understanding?

Also, if a boat is rated for 1,800 pounds, how do you safely assume ballast weight without sinking it? If I have 500 pounds of people am I limited to 1300 pounds of ballast?

Default Re: 2001 Mobius v22

Sorry to confuse you. On the 2001, I think surf side full, offside empty. But, you may find some offside works, too and as an example, I stated that my Mojo likes 500 in the offside when the surf side 1,100 is full.

Good question on the rating. I, and most that want to make a good surf wave, ignore that pesky little yellow plate. Make your own decision on safety, but I doubt you could sink it unless you do something stupid.
    Last edited by wolfeman131; 02-10-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
    You said empty then you said about 500 in the off side? I just wanna make sure I am sure understanding?

Also, if a boat is rated for 1,800 pounds, how do you safely assume ballast weight without sinking it? If I have 500 pounds of people am I limited to 1300 pounds of ballast?
    What Drew is saying is, try it with only the surf side weighted, then try it with weight in the opposite corner and see if you like it more.

The LSV and the Mojo both like weight in the opposite surf side. This is due to when you weigh one side of the boat it will roll <list> over to that side.

The opposite side <thinking from the center line of the boat> will roll out of the water more.

The key to the surf wave is the boat hull, and keeping the V section on the front of the hull in the water.

So weighting the opposite side will keep that part of the hull in the wave.

The effect i have found is more push in the wave, less list in the boat.
    You will know if you have too much weight in the opposite side because the wave will be washed out at almost any speed.

This also ONLY works on Regular surfing. The Goofy side of the LSV doesnt like any weight on the opposite side, this is due to prop rotation.
    Mojo isnt as sensitive to this but it doesnt like much weight on the opposite side when Goofy surfing.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    , but I doubt you could sink it unless you do something stupid.
    My wife happened to be standing behind me when I read this and she says "that is exactly what I am afraid of with you". So I got it now. Lots to learn with the surf wake. Does the trim plate help with surfing? Lucky we are all regular foot & any goofy will just have to adapt of not surf. I sort of thought that about the sticker. I was planning on putting 250 pounds of lead in each port side, star board & bow then just run 750 pound sacs in all 3 places. Any advice on that?

Default 2001 Mobius v22

Bergermaister has the same boat dialed with a great wave. I would copy his setup as much as possible. I run 3400lbs. of ballast in my very similar boat with no issues.
    -Jake

I have 1100's in each rear compartment that get about 90-95% full. Typically only fill the surf side and leave the opposite empty. Although I would like to experiment a little more with adding weight on the opposite - every other time I've tried it seems to wash out the wave too much.

Run a 750 in the basement, and lately I've been putting another 400 right in front of it under the playpen seating since last summer BooneJeepin and I discovered this hull likes a lot of weight in the nose.

If I don't have enough human ballast I will add another 400 on the surfside (regular), preferably on the floor because on the seat blocks access to the cooler Only have one goofy rider usually so we make her go last but the setup is basically the same, just harder to get every sitting on the side with no seat...

I've toyed with finding some lead to go in the compartments or possibly alongside a bag but haven't found any around here to play with yet. I think common sense keeps me from pursuing it.

Bottom line is this hull seems to prefer to lean hard.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I have 1100's in each rear compartment that get about 90-95% full. Typically only fill the surf side and leave the opposite empty. Although I would like to experiment a little more with adding weight on the opposite - every other time I've tried it seems to wash out the wave too much.

Run a 750 in the basement, and lately I've been putting another 400 right in front of it under the playpen seating since last summer BooneJeepin and I discovered this hull likes a lot of weight in the nose.

If I don't have enough human ballast I will add another 400 on the surfside (regular), preferably on the floor because on the seat blocks access to the cooler Only have one goofy rider usually so we make her go last but the setup is basically the same, just harder to get every sitting on the side with no seat...

I've toyed with finding some lead to go in the compartments or possibly alongside a bag but haven't found any around here to play with yet. I think common sense keeps me from pursuing it.

Bottom line is this hull seems to prefer to lean hard.
    Yeah hell I am not going to be able to do that. Sadly all I can do & I plan to do for now is 250 pounds lead in each of the 3 areas. Then two 750's in the rear & I want that bag that hides underneath the bow & that 400 pounds in the locker. Should get me close to your set up for now. Getting closer & closer today, just little hang ups on what the bank wants but should be good to go shortly!!!