Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2001 Mobius v22

I think we are set on that Moomba, I am just hung up on 20k, 19 seems reasonable to me but he will not come off the 20k. Been all over craigs in areas I am willing to drive, factoring in fuel & hotels so it makes sense. Boats in CO for some reason are stupid priced.

Maybe go talk to a bank or credit union. If the value is not there they wouldn't loan on it (even though you may not be looking for a loan yourself) but you can take the info back to the seller as a bargaining point.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

On a used boat, my opinion is that the value is all in the condition of the boat. If it is in good mechanical shape, low hours, garage kept, it very well may be worth the $20k. If I were looking, condition would be first, hours second, v drive third, original factory tower fourth. On ballast, it's nice to have but I also wonder how much strain has been on the engine if the previous owner was sacking it out crazy.

I think the V drive will make it a much easier sell later on if you ever want to sell. FYI, I live in TN, I traded in a 2001 Outback LS with 420 hours on it and an aftermarket monster tower for $19k. The boat was kept in good condition and had no defects. I know, trade in price without selling price on the new boat is meaningless but I also got a great deal on the new boat and negotiated both prices separately. If you want to wakeboard and especially surf, the v drive is a much better choice. Easily worthe $4k difference just to go from DD to V drive i think. I have no idea how good of a boat the Sanger is, I've never even seen one in person before! However, my 2001 Moomba was a good boat, but not nearly as nice as the newer Moombas as far as comfort, vinyl quality, etc. Still, the things that make it go were all good. Is it fuel injected? That would be worth something to me also.

Nice Job Racer, You won't be disappointed! I just hope you don't come looking for me when you pick your new boat up

Thanks TX. Actually if you are in the area lets have a beer! I am supposed to meet him in Amarillo to pick it up. Still waiting on the guy to give me the hull & VIN so I can process it

Quote Originally Posted by volfo View Post
    Is it fuel injected? That would be worth something to me also.
    Mine is identical to this one and is TBI so I'd say yes on his behalf.

When you do go to look it over keep an eye out for a few things on the hull-

Spider cracks around swim platform mounts (I have a few)
    Any cracking around tower mounts
    Cracking around windshield supports, etc.
    Oil in the bilge area

Stiff steering (fixable)

Tires & Brakes on the trailer (replace-able)
    Any rust on the trailer.

Aside from normal wear and tear those are some easy things that will help give an indication of maintenance, neglect or abuse. Also some possible price negotiation.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by txnight View Post
    Nice Job Racer, You won't be disappointed! I just hope you don't come looking for me when you pick your new boat up
    You're not the seller are you?

ha, no I was just out there on Sunday afternoon to see it. I wound up buying a supra so I'm still in the Skier's Choice family.

Reading the list of things that Berg Mentioned is all good things to look for. The swim platform its self does have some cracking but nothing significant and the very back of the engine cover has a tear in the upholstery. Just normal wear.

The trailer is nice and clean from being in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
    You're not the seller are you?
    that's kind of the feeling i got too
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Racer, best advice I have for you is to read all the stuff these guys are doing to their boats on here. Ballast upgrades and systems are expensive, so are seat covers and perfect pass. I went through the same exact thing with my last boat. I wanted an inboard on a budget so I bought a 1989 Ski Nautique 2001. The boat was really cool but it lacked room on the inside, a tower, ballast and a stereo. I ended up adding up all the money I needed to dump into the boat to make it what I wanted and realized that it would never be the boat that I really wanted.

Best advice I have is look at something that has all the things that are really important to you now, its a lot cheaper to buy a boat that has the upgraded ballast, nice stereo, and perfect pass rather than buying it yourself. I found myself working on my last boat installing ballast and other things rather than being out on the lake. It was summer already and I still had the boat torn apart. I think that for mid 20's you should easily be able to find a V-Drive that is all set up the way you want it.

Just my .02