Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2001 Mobius v22

Hybrid View

Default 2001 Mobius v22

Hey guys, new to the forum. I have been doing a lot of boat shopping, looking at Sangers, used Malibus, basically anything under 25k. There is a almost new Sanger DLX with 150 hours & a banging stereo, subs, amps, batteries & switch. Not a fan of the DD seating but I read it throws an awesome wake for both surfing & boarding with a little ballast. No ballast or perfect pass, but the boat is 16k & close by.

I came across a 2001 moomba mobius V 22 that has really caught my eye, 300 hours, garage kept, looks damn nice but it is 700 miles away so I cannot go look. He is willing to meet me in the middle though. Has the usually tower, stereo, single battery, bimini but again no ballast or perfect pass. He wants 20k. We really prefer the V drive seating.

So is it worth spending that much more even though I need to spend another grand for perfect pass & will probably need some fat sacks stashed somewhere?

How is the wake without ballast, what about surfing? Reliability, quality of the boat? Is 20k a good price?

Default 2001 Mobius v22

1 vote for the v drive
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

I agree with the go to V drive. Is an 01 mobius worth the 20k? Does the boat need ballast for wake boarding? I imagine 500 pounds up front & 600 port side for surfing is a must? Is perfect pass a must have on these boats?

We bought a 2000 Mobius V for 16,500 with 500ish hours on it. No tower, no ballast, no perfect pass which we all ended up installing. We have been pretty happy, but the previous owner had done a shotty job at a hull repair and now we are paying the price now. We installed a 3 bag system, 1180 in the center and two 750s and it throws a pretty nice wakeboarding/wakesurfing wake. It's a nice looking boat for how old it is and we get compliments from people too.
    -Ryan
    twitter.com/WakeVideos
    2000 Mobius V
    Monster Tower MT2 - 750 rears, GG 1180 center - PP Wakeboard Edition

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_8099 View Post
    We bought a 2000 Mobius V for 16,500 with 500ish hours on it. No tower, no ballast, no perfect pass which we all ended up installing. We have been pretty happy, but the previous owner had done a shotty job at a hull repair and now we are paying the price now. We installed a 3 bag system, 1180 in the center and two 750s and it throws a pretty nice wakeboarding/wakesurfing wake. It's a nice looking boat for how old it is and we get compliments from people too.
    Thanks Ryan. When did you get yours & is that the price I should be closer to? There is a moomba outback v here locally that looks great on the hull, interior is rough plus its brown & it has 700 hours. But the dealer is asking 16,500.00 The owner moved up to a Supra. Sucks looking at all these out of state boats, I can't go look, can't test them. How is your wake without any ballast?

Racer, is the 2001 in N.TX? I looked a boat like your describing this weekend. I can describe its condition for you.

Quote Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
    Thanks Ryan. When did you get yours & is that the price I should be closer to? There is a moomba outback v here locally that looks great on the hull, interior is rough plus its brown & it has 700 hours. But the dealer is asking 16,500.00 The owner moved up to a Supra. Sucks looking at all these out of state boats, I can't go look, can't test them. How is your wake without any ballast?
    We got ours in August of 2011. We live in WI and had to drive to 8 hours to pick it up. Not sure what boats go for further south so hard to say on price, ours had a new interior and had also been recently painted which we just found out about. If it is in as good as condition as you stated it might be worth it. I would definitely go with the Mob V over the Outback though, you will love how much space is in that boat. I was pretty impressed with the stock wake and I am the only one who rides with ballast for wakeboarding. All depends who will be riding behind it and how serious they are about wakeboarding. The ballast install was definitely worth it because everyone loves to surf behind the boat.
    -Ryan
    twitter.com/WakeVideos
    2000 Mobius V
    Monster Tower MT2 - 750 rears, GG 1180 center - PP Wakeboard Edition

Default 2001 Mobius v22

On that boat, I'd say empty. You can always try a bit in the off side & see what it does. The Mojo likes the surf side 1,100 full & about 500 In the off side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    On that boat, I'd say empty. You can always try a bit in the off side & see what it does. The Mojo likes the surf side 1,100 full & about 500 In the off side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    You said empty then you said about 500 in the off side? I just wanna make sure I am sure understanding?

Also, if a boat is rated for 1,800 pounds, how do you safely assume ballast weight without sinking it? If I have 500 pounds of people am I limited to 1300 pounds of ballast?

Quote Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
    You said empty then you said about 500 in the off side? I just wanna make sure I am sure understanding?

Also, if a boat is rated for 1,800 pounds, how do you safely assume ballast weight without sinking it? If I have 500 pounds of people am I limited to 1300 pounds of ballast?
    What Drew is saying is, try it with only the surf side weighted, then try it with weight in the opposite corner and see if you like it more.

The LSV and the Mojo both like weight in the opposite surf side. This is due to when you weigh one side of the boat it will roll <list> over to that side.

The opposite side <thinking from the center line of the boat> will roll out of the water more.

The key to the surf wave is the boat hull, and keeping the V section on the front of the hull in the water.

So weighting the opposite side will keep that part of the hull in the wave.

The effect i have found is more push in the wave, less list in the boat.
    You will know if you have too much weight in the opposite side because the wave will be washed out at almost any speed.

This also ONLY works on Regular surfing. The Goofy side of the LSV doesnt like any weight on the opposite side, this is due to prop rotation.
    Mojo isnt as sensitive to this but it doesnt like much weight on the opposite side when Goofy surfing.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]