Hybrid View

Default Surf setup and ballast upgrade: 2008 Outback V

I've got an Outback V with the factory Gravity III ballast. I'm hoping to do some ballast upgrades in order to make everything quicker. I'd also like to add enough ballast to the lockers that I can avoid loss of seating with external bags (feel like it may be inevitable in the front of the boat).

General question: What setup are people using to surf?

Has anyone upgraded their ballast with the Wakemakers two way pumps? Are these significantly faster?

Any help would be great...I'm mechanically inclined but also new to boating so breaking it down to a serious level and mocking me is totally acceptable!
    Tower Speakers: Check
    Subwoofer: Check
    Added Battery and ACR: In but needs a lil' fixing

for surfing,

rear surf side locker filled with 750lb bag-will fill area completly
    install IBS (integrated bow sack) U shaped bag that goes under bow seats
    fill stock ski locker bag full
    about 10-10.5 mph and have fun

reversible pumps will be faster than a stock 08 system
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Default Surf setup and ballast upgrade: 2008 Outback V

Daze's first LSV was that hull & I had that boat. Moving to the reversible pumps will speed your system up a bit. The 750's fill up the rear compartments about perfect. I don't know that I'd throw an IBS in that boat unless you're OK with dunking it every once in awhile. I'd be more inclined to cut out the cooler and run a 370 tube sac up along the port side and maybe a brick behind the observers seat.

Search for ballast posts from Canucklehead. I think he is running a lot of weight in his OBV, including an IBS.

Have fun & enjoy the surf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks guys!
    I had been seriously looking at this upgrade from WakeMakers since it is plug&play and I can do the pump upgrade next year. Do you have any experience?

http://www.wakemakers.com/supra-and-...r-upgrade.html

Also, could you recommend something for the bow ballast?
    Also, do people generally use this upgrade from WakeMakers for the reversible pump upgrade or do a lot of people piece it together from various sites?

http://www.wakemakers.com/supra-moom...m-upgrade.html

Thanks so much for the help - and sorry for the big delay in my reply!
    A few questions:
    - Is there room around the V-drive to mount the reversible pumps (x3) when doing the modification?
    - Also, is there a best position to drill the holes in the hull for the two new pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by OutbackV2008 View Post
    - Is there room around the V-drive to mount the reversible pumps (x3) when doing the modification?
    Reversible (Jabsco, Johnson, etc.) pumps are not waterproof, so they need to be installed in a location that will (hopefully) remain dry. That typically means above floor level. The firewall at the front of the engine compartment is a fantastic location, as it's close to where the thru-hulls will be installed, and centrally located in the boat for short plumbing/electrical runs. Also leaves your lockers completely open to maximize ballast capacity.

Let me know if you need a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by OutbackV2008 View Post
    - Also, is there a best position to drill the holes in the hull for the two new pumps?
    There's really no best position or worst position, they just need to be in a place that has enough clearance inside to assemble the ball valve and hose connection, and you don't want to put them in front of any other components like the engine raw water intake, paddle wheel speed sensor or depth finder transducer. Outside of that, you can basically put them anywhere that fits. There is plenty of room right around the v-drive/trans to fit the additional two holes.

Default Re: Surf setup and ballast upgrade: 2008 Outback V

I wouldnt put them by the vdrive. I think there are better spots in the rear lockers or even the engine compartment. I'd drill the holes in the bottom of the hull.

Sorry, that wasn't nice of me. I think on my boat they are up by where the vdrive is. Thats where they were on the OBV. Should be enough room to work there so you can get plenty of sealant on your thru hulls and a wrench on them to get them tight. Do a few searches and you can see what others have done.