Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    1) depends on the speaker size and type.

2) Yes. There are some in-line connectors or surface-mount male/female connector bodies that allow for disconnection of the tower speaker leads in order to fold the tower.
    MORE QUESTIONS:
    - Because I'm putting the subwoofer in, can I get away with a smaller tower speaker?
    - In order to get good sound do I need to step it up to an iCON 8/10 in the Wetsounds or can I get away with a Pro80 to save some $?
    - Does anybody have a thought on the Wetsounds Pro80 vs. the Exile XM7?
    - How are people mounting their amp racks in this hull?

Again - thanks to everybody for the support!!!
    Tower Speakers: Check
    Subwoofer: Check
    Added Battery and ACR: In but needs a lil' fixing

"- Does anybody have a thought on the Wetsounds Pro80 vs. the Exile XM7?"

Well, you can't compare the two different sizes, even if it's from the same brand. The Exile XM7 is a 6.5" HLCD with a fraction of the pod displacement while the Wetsounds Pro80 is an 8" HLCD (the size of an XM9) with considerably more pod displacement.
    The Exile XM7 was head to head with the now discontinued Wetsounds Pro60 with the same speaker size and similar pod displacement.

Nothing will touch the Wetsounds Pro80 for the dollar (brand new for $699) in ampitude or projection power. The Wetsounds Icon8, Rev8 and Rev10 will provide stronger sound quality than the Pro80 for near field listening as they have a bit tamer response. But frankly, you will not see a SQ difference at the end of a rope in the face of all the noise competition. At wake range, your only priority is cutting through with enough amplitude to hear a degree of articulation.

Adding a subwoofer to the in-boat zone has very little impact on the tower. The sub's bass will not project to wake range. The two speakers (sub and tower) play different bandwidths with little overlap.

Amp mounting techniques will differ based on the scope of amplifiers and distribution products mounted to the panel. With a multi-component amp panel, most build a new panel and mount the panel to the existing provisions.

David

Pro-80 v's xm7: the Pro-80 in an 8" HLCD where as the xm7 is a 6.5" Sizi matters in terms our output at wake range and mid-bass contribution when listening near-field. Both can and will be loud at 80ft, but when close in, the smaller speaker will be harsh on the ears. This is not brand specific, this is about size. Wet Sounds discontinued their 6.5" HLCD for this reason.

I do not like to rely on a sub to ballance out a smaller tower mounted speaker, especially a small HLCD. The aggressive horn is still going to be dominant once you are outside of the boat.

The Icon only comes in an 8" and is geared more toward near-field listen. if your primary goal is surfing and party-cove listening, the Icon-8 is the better choice. If your primary focus is reaching your wake-board rider, then an HLCD is the route you go. The larger HLCD, like the Pro-80 will be a better near-field balance then a smaller HLCD. So your goals are important.

I live in Bostic, NC. I normally boat on lake James in Marion, NC

Quote Originally Posted by pprior View Post
    Yes, that link works now. I've never owned any subs other than home theater stuff (have a couple 15" velodynes in my HT) but man is that level of cone displacement normal??? That looks like it's going to self destruct!
    Oh yes it's normal with clean power and plenty of it I did turn my subsonic filter up just a hair more after this video they would fluter a little on some songs trying to play really low notes they would do them and not bottom out but they couldnt really produce any real volume hope ya liked tha vid
    2011 Xlv with 325hp and stock Gravity lll

Quote Originally Posted by OutbackV2008 View Post
    MORE QUESTIONS:
    - Because I'm putting the subwoofer in, can I get away with a smaller tower speaker?
    - In order to get good sound do I need to step it up to an iCON 8/10 in the Wetsounds or can I get away with a Pro80 to save some $?
    - Does anybody have a thought on the Wetsounds Pro80 vs. the Exile XM7?
    - How are people mounting their amp racks in this hull?

Again - thanks to everybody for the support!!!

The sub won't help the effectiveness of ur tower speakers. How ever this past summer my sub went out and it killed the amount of sound that reached me a 80ft . I was using two pair of pro60's . I mean u couldn't hear the sub back there but I think the sub was kind of canceling out so of the engine noise IMO. I could be wrong but that's what I'm guessing.

The type of tower speaker u need depends mostly on what ur after. I didn't like my pro 60's they where way to bright and didn't carry out as affectively to 80 ft. This winter I upgraded to 2 pair of rev10's and its way better sound not as overly bright great mid bass punch anuff so that u can fill the beat in ur chest if ur standing right next to them. So if ur going tobe wake boarding then I'd say go with a bigger unit like the pro 80 , rev 8 ,or rev10 if ur a surfer party cover type I think the icon would be a better sound for that. I can comment on exile vs wet sounds I have never owned exile tower speakers but I have had nothing go wrong with my wet sounds gear and I love there products.

As always thanks for the fast and concise feedback.

In reality my priority is a speaker that will sound good at boarding range as well as surfing range. I'd like to keep the cost reasonable as well.

From what I can see I'm really leaning towards the the Pro80...even though the cost is not exactly reasonable.
    Any thoughts on appropriate amplifier to get loud enough for anyone at boarding range to hear?
    Tower Speakers: Check
    Subwoofer: Check
    Added Battery and ACR: In but needs a lil' fixing

I really like my Rockford marine amps. a 600/4 would do a pair of pro 80's real good and get max potential out of them. Those arc audio amps are suppose to do real good as well I believe sandman did his setup with them and I think mla is a dealer with arc might hit him up. The jl audio amps are nice but pricey. I'd say the Rockford would be the cheapest then arc then jl.

Quote Originally Posted by OutbackV2008 View Post
    As always thanks for the fast and concise feedback.

In reality my priority is a speaker that will sound good at boarding range as well as surfing range. I'd like to keep the cost reasonable as well.

From what I can see I'm really leaning towards the the Pro80...even though the cost is not exactly reasonable.
    Any thoughts on appropriate amplifier to get loud enough for anyone at boarding range to hear?
    The Pro80 closeout, available from Wetsounds and all Wetsounds dealers is $699. That is a smokin' value on a brand new 8-inch HLCD.
    Here are a couple of amplifier suggestions.
    A JL Audio XD400/4 bridged. PasMag tested the XD500/3 as it delivered 673 total watts, which is an indication of the conservative ratings. With the XD400/4 you can expect an actual 280 watts X 2 bridged into a 4-ohm load at 14.4 volts at 1%. Very nice power for a pair of Pro80s. Plus, you will get the highest operating efficiency available and a built-in port for a dedicated zone control.
    The Arc Audio KS300.4 bridged will do a very nice job. Because this amplifier is internally fan-cooled, and moist air will be constantly flowing over a naked circuit board, I would suggest spending a pinch more on the Wetsounds Syn4 (similar platform) because of the conformal coating. The Syn4 is at the top end of the Pro80 power handling so you would have to be disciplined in your usage as the day grows long and you become decidedly less sensitive.

David

Watch the weight on the OBV toward with boards, speakers etc, its only 1 5/8
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

so since i do the wakeboard and party cove im thinking pro80's for distance and what should i do for cove since its just a line of a few of us and and the beach..we mostly stand anywhere from 10ft to about 50ft from the back of the boat
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)