Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Tower Speakers & Subwoofer upgrade

OK, so I've procrastinated quite a bit and now I'm finally getting the motivation to get started on my winter upgrades.
    I have a 2008 Outback V with the stock stereo. I need to add a woofer and tower speakers, plus the amps to accompany them. Based on what I've seen on the forum thus far, I'm going to try to keep my budget to $2k for the whole upgrade.I've got the capabilities to do the install as well as build the sub box myself. I'd also like to make sure that anyone wakeboarding/tubing can hear the tower speakers.

My thoughts:
    - Tower Speaker: I'm up in the air between Wetsounds and Bullet Audio, however I have no idea what grade to go with. Any advice to keep the price down but still get horns? Also, any advice for chrome or painted pods?
    - Subwoofer: I'd like to fit a 12" over a 10". Brand totally undecided.
    - Subwoofer Location: I'm hoping to get creative, and keep some foot space while putting it under the driver's foot well. I'd also like to create a through hole for the foot heater...just because it would be amazing and I haven't seen it yet.
    -Amplifiers: Undecided. Need Advice for wattage and affordable/reliable brand.
    - Battery upgrade: Is this required? Am I going to need to upgrade both batteries or can I do one?
    - Other electrical: I'd like to add a switch to prevent the audio specific battery from dying but I'm not sure what this entails or what to get.

Any pictures or links to existing posts with pictures would be great.
    Thanks in advance for all the help.
    Tower Speakers: Check
    Subwoofer: Check
    Added Battery and ACR: In but needs a lil' fixing

Don't forget about Exile - I'd contact [email protected] to get his recommendations. They've ha some great sales recently and have been brooming overstock stuff.
    Last edited by ian ashton; 02-03-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    2013 Outback V

another vote for getting in touch with Brian at Exile, im on my second system and very happy with it.

only advice, do it all at once if at all possible, it sucks to be redoing when you add on
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Outback,
    For amplifiers go with Class D, or at least Class H, to get a big efficiency advantage. Amplifiers that pull less current to deliver the same power, better preserve voltage levels. Higher/lower supply voltage levels directly impact the amplifier output power. You want to avoid this negative cycle because a typical amplifier will lose 25 percent of its power when the supply voltage drops from 14.4 to 12.6 volts, for example, and continues to fall in power as the voltage drops farther. Once you make your speaker selections, that will decide the required amplifier power and configuration.
    With a subwoofer, in order to get the best results, the boat will dictate the subwoofer location and in turn the maximim enclosure size. This in turn, should determine the enclosure loading type (sealed, ported, etc.) and the most ideal driver size to match up with the enclosure. Your best results will come from following this formula in sequence.
    For tower speakers, if you expect any degree of distinctive sound at wake range, you will need maximum surface area, maximum pod displacement and an HLCD speaker. Stay away from smallish HLCDs as they are too bright for enjoyable SQ near field.

David

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    Don't forget about Exile - I'd contact [email protected] to get his recommendations. They've ha some great sales recently and have been brooming overstock stuff.
    Ian - Through an odd series of tags & likes on Facebook via Cass Lake Dry Dock's website, I'm darn near positive that you have the slip next to me. Awesome to see people local to Southeast Michigan showing support! Can't wait to see the 2013 OBV if you're going to keep it at the marina!
    Tower Speakers: Check
    Subwoofer: Check
    Added Battery and ACR: In but needs a lil' fixing

Quote Originally Posted by OutbackV2008 View Post
    - Tower Speaker: I'm up in the air between Wetsounds and Bullet Audio,

-Amplifiers: Undecided. Need Advice for wattage and affordable/reliable brand.

Any pictures or links to existing posts with pictures would be great.
    Thanks in advance for all the help.
    I don't think there is much comparison between the two you have listed. Go Wetsounds all the way. For amps, Kicker has Class D amps that will meet your requirements.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_f...r-class-d.html

There are a ton of pics in the audio & electrical section. Search uthreads for sub box enclosures/location. There have been a ton of creative ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Drew,
    The referenced Kicker amplifier is a hybrid with Class D on the lowpass only and Class AB on the highpass four channels.
    However, Kicker, JL Audio, Alpine, Kenwood Exelon, Wetsounds and many others do have multi-channel amplifiers that are completely Class D.

David

I live in Bostic, NC. I normally boat on lake James in Marion, NC

Rockford amps are class d I love them that's what I have in my boat and I'd say deff wet sounds all the way
    2011 Xlv with 325hp and stock Gravity lll

my .02 having now owned bullet and wetsounds. granted I now have icon8's and the bullets were hollowpoint 6.5's and not really an apples comparison, but comparing quality of components, wetsounds all the way. I did audition several wetsounds hlcd's before settling on the icons(went this route as all we do is surf so 80ft was not a concern) and the wetsounds blew my bullets away..

can't speak to the amp issue yet. I had an all rockford amp setup in my last boat, but it was all class a/b stuff(power series). it performed well and with 2 stereo batteries, I never had an issue with draining them both. I now have arc audio stuff that's not class a/b in this boat and can't wait to spend a full day on the lake and see how it performs. initial impressions from sitting in the garage enjoying the tunes are WOW!!

my personal opinion on subs are jl all the way. I'm on my second 12w6 in a boat and it flat out pounds. I know there are a couple others on here that have this same sub as well.
    good luck.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I live in Bostic, NC. I normally boat on lake James in Marion, NC

I put re audio subs in my boat and they flat out pound. Was able to use 2 10's and use a ported box and fit it under the helm with out noticeable foot room loss and was able to maintain the factory cup holder awesome. I had it cranked the other day came in it made stuff fall outta tha dish drain in tha house. It's powered off a Rockford Fosgate 1200/1 marine amplifier http://www.facebook.com/jay.a.fox/po...f&notif_t=like check it out
    2011 Xlv with 325hp and stock Gravity lll