Default wetsounds xs 650 for tower speakers?

I think I'm going to add 2 tower speakers. I don't want a loud stereo, just something that gives some music while swimming around the boat and for surfing. I do want to hear it while surfing, don't care so much about wakeboarding. Would a couple of xs 650s be good for this installation? I'm looking at buying them in the monster cans so they match the chrome tower. Thanks for any replies / suggestions. Currently I have 6 wetsounds xs650 speakers in the cabin adn like the sound, just wondering how they work on tower speakers, never had tower speakers before.

Default Re: wetsounds xs 650 for tower speakers?

Not sure how those would work as tower speakers, but have been told the icon series speakers are great for surfing.

The XS-650 will most definitely get the job done for a surf/party cove system, just be sure to feed with good power. On the tower, I would like to see 125-150W x 2.

A couple of words about the Monster pods. They are on the small size, which will effect the mid-bass. If you go with them, pull the drivers to make sure they are filled with some polly-fill. This will help compensate for the small pod displacement as well as dampen the metallic sound of the aluminum pods. As another option, check with Wet Sounds to see if they still have some of the XST-650's left in stock. This is the XS-650 in the Pro-60 pod, so its a bit larger then the Monster pods. This will improve the mid-bass.

For a little more money, the larger Icon-8 is an 8" driver in the same size pod as the pro-60.

volfo,
    For about $50 more you can get the Wetsounds XST-650s which provide way more pod displacement which translates to better midbass and a warmer sounding speaker overall.
    Also, if you are looking at polished aluminum pods, you should know that they oxidize and are hard to keep looking glossy long term.

David

A little more money, but mla talked me into the icon-8 and i couldnt be happier. Awesome speaker and no issues with the cans..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Guys, thanks for all the advice. I'm new to boat audio really. In my old boat I just replaced the head unit and the stock speakers with Polk db651s. I thought all I wanted were cabin speakers in this one but now want some towers. From the write up on the wetsounds website, sounds like the ICONs are exactly what I want. They are only $170 or so more than the XS650s, which isn't insignificant but I'd much rather do it right the first time. I definitely like the chrome look better than black or white but good point about it fading / oxidizing. My boat has a lot of white on it including a white top deck so the white might look also. And the bimini is black, so probably good either way.

you'll love the icon8's. I'm very happy with the sound from them. def. not wakeboard speakers, but for surfing, they hit the spot..

I don't know if mla can sell across states yet but either mla(mike) or david from earmark can hook ya up.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

You just can't go wrong with a speaker with greater surface area. I hate to push stretching your budget but doing anything twice is where it really gets expensive. Couldn't agree more with the Wetsounds Icon8 upgarde.

Color? Personally, I'm not a fan of matchy-matchy against polished or anodized towers. Now chrome against a powdercoated tower color can pop! In any case, I actually prefer contrast on the tower as long as the pod color ties into a hull color or a dominant hull graphics color. A bimini color would be just as instrumental in my decision. If you are good with a computer you can get a visual before you purchase. If not, approximate the pod size in both white and black posterboard or construction paper. Have someone hold up both one at a time against the tower. You'll know in an instant.

David