Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleats

Default Cleats

Just bought a new 2013 Mobius LSV but it didn't come with cleats. I got the dealership to throw in 2 cleats, one on each side at the widest point to hang bumpers from but was thinking I probably will need a few more to use for ropes/tie downs. I know there are hand rails on the bow but really don't think those should be used for tying the boat to a dock. I guess I could use the ski pole too but I'm thinking I probably need to have a few more cleats installed. Suggestions??? Anybody installed their own cleats? Seems like it shouldn't be too difficult, as long as you have the right tools/drill.
    2013 Mobius LSV
    Lake, Sun, Cold Beer = Moomba Time: Life is Good

Search "pop up cleats" or "pop-up cleats" on here and you'll find a bunch of us who installed them.

Edit: Here's a start with some advice they gave me: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....=pop+up+cleats
    Last edited by kaneboats; 02-01-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

sure you need more than 2 per side ?

from a looks perspective it would look a little strange to see multiple cleats on a wakeboat

maybe look into bumper hangers--like a super small cleat just for bumpers
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Default Cleats

When I first got my boat it did not come with cleats so I went to the dealer and bought 6 traditional cleats, 3 on each side. Biggest mistake I've made with my boat, period.

Oh what I would do to go back and just pony up the cash for 4 pop ups. My rear one is spider cracking the gel coat and the midship one isn't even flush due to the curve of the boat. Don't make the same mistake I did. Get legit pop up cleats in the standard locations

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

here's a pic of the pop-ups on the side of the boat. looks pretty good, at least in the pic.

Pop-up cleat.jpg
    2013 Mobius LSV

Anybody have a pop up on the bow of their boat? Comments? I also have an older Crownline ski boat that has a pop up on the bow and I used that all the time when tying up to the dock. It was very convenient.
    2013 Mobius LSV

Mmandley installed a pop up bow light. It was very cool. I don't know why you would need a cleat up there. Usually you tie along side the dock so cleats on the sides seem more useful. I have the 4 pop ups and it's perfect.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

BTW, just FYI, I think there are technically "pop up cleats" and "pull up cleats". The pop up ones spring up while the pull up ones you just pull out when you want to use them. I think most of us have "pull up". May be a big price difference and more moving parts on the pop variety.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Yes, I have the "pop-up" cleats on my older boat and will have "pull-up" cleats on the new Moomba. I guess I'm trying to figure out how to tie up using the side cleats that were installed and still have somewhere to attach the hanging bumpers on the side of the boat. My main reason for having the side cleats installed was to have something to tie a bumper to at the widest point of the boat to prevent rubbing against a dock or another boat when tying up. I guess I'm just used to having a bow cleat like the one on my older boat. Prob just need to wait until I'm able to take the boat out on the lake and just see if I actually would use a bow cleat. Thanks for all your feedback, it's much appreciated.
    2013 Mobius LSV

Add a cleat towards the rear and you should be good to go. That gives 2 places to tie the boat on each side.

I put buoys (look into hippity hops) on the cleat before tying off. Then if necessary I tie a hippity hop from the tower leg. You can make a correct length rope for the tower so you don't have to worry about hang height and its quick.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded