Gday from Down Under. Like a lot of guys on here, I love the look and functionality of the Z5 cargo bimini ..... just not the price tag. So here is my attempt at building one. It has all the functionality with the racks on the top, the swivel, the shade and solid construction, but not the pazaz. I built it out of 1" aluminium tube. To get the curve at the front of the bimini I scribed an arc on the floor at the radius I wanted. Then I nailed some timber blocks to the radius and bent the tube around the arc. I have access to a pipe bender so was able to bend and weld the rest of the bimini quite easily. As for the cover, well I cheated a bit in that regard as my wifes brand new bernina sewing machine is off limits. I had a local upholsterer cover the rack in heavy duty sunbrella.
As for the mounting, I simply bolted through the elongated tower tube and through the bimini itself with some 1/2 inch stainless bolts at the front which allows the bimini to pivot. The back is held in place much the same as the factory Z5, however I use two pins rather than the ball and socket system of the Z5.
My upgrades so far have included stainless cup holders, new non slip on the boarding platform, ballast upgrade, and basic stereo upgrade which I will post some details on in the near future. My trailer axle failed the day before New Year so I am in the process of upgrading my trailer from a single axle to tandem and will post some details on that once complete. Couldn't have happened at a worse time as 39 degree days C and no boat. I'm not sure what that equates to in degrees F.
A big thanks to all the guys who have pioneered so many of the upgrades on this forum. Thanks for all your help. Cheers
IMG_1157.jpgIMG_1319.jpgIMG_1308.jpgIMG_1307.jpg