Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crushed

Jason,
    I don't really post much but I came across this thread and felt like I could give your son some advice. I played high school and select ball growing up and played 3 years in college, 1 at a Junior College and 2 years at the University of Arkansas. The first question I think your son should ask himself is does he want to play in college. If he doesn't, then select baseball would be a waste. If he does, then he should continue to play select baseball and travel to as many showcases as possible. Neither myself nor any of my friends that are still playing were recruited from their high school games, so high school baseball is not that important. To be honest, college coaches think high school baseball is a joke. Where I was recruited were the showcases that my select teams went to, as well as individual showcases put on by MLB and college teams, things like Area Code.
    Also, I would definitely tell your son not to give up. I played with a lot of guys who were late bloomers. If he wants any kind of pointers on baseball or the recruiting process, I'm always willing to help.

Brett
    2008 Mobius LSV "Casper"
    Indmar 325hp, Perfect Pass, Z5 Cargo Rack, Acme 1617 Prop, 4 Wetsound Rev8's, Wetsounds SYN2 & SYN6, JL Audio 10w6 subwoofer, JL Audio M650 in boats, white in-boat LEDs, white LED tower speaker rings, white underwater lights, Custom Ballast (Reversible pumps, Y-valves, IBS, 1100lb rear lockers, 400lb under seats)

Default Crushed

Jason, you know Michael Jordan didn't make his JV team in HS right?? That turned out pretty well for that guy. There is always next year, just keep him positive and have him use this as motivation to come back and kill it. It's an extended offseason for him that's all. It's not over...the offseason is where ballers are made!

*edit* I agree with what Brett said above. The same goes with basketball. AAU ball is more important to getting noticed by recruiters so I would think the same would be for baseball with select teams. The scouts see you at showcases and tournaments. That is where you get the most exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by E4NASH; 01-31-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Default Crushed

the head coach met with each player individually yesterday one at a time. my son told me "coach said my defense was weak". i couldn't really get much more info out of my boy. not even for sure if that's what coach told him or if that was the full extent of their meeting. I think he went in to the try outs like he already had a spot on the team. played cocky with no hustle and a little show boating maybe and coach knocked him down some.

I've been the driving force behind his private lessons and other baseball activities and am now questioning if I pushed to hard and took the fun out of the game. I've been overly nice to him since last night but normally I'm pretty tough on him when it comes to ball, that's how my dad and coaches were with me growing up so it's all I know. I am starting to question myself. so much so that I'm thinking about stepping away from my girls softball stuff and just attending the games. don't wanna ruin the game for them to!!

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Solid advice from the newb Brett. Ha.

I like the approach of determining what he wants in the future. I spent a TON of time at the ballfields knowing I had little interest in playing at the next level. I wouldn't say I regret it as I enjoyed it, but looking back, it is time that I could have spent doing something else.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    it is time that I could have spent doing something else.
    Like what?

We know our kids have little chance of being college-level athletes (due to my genetics), but we like that they are outdoors and active vs veg'ing out in front of the TV and/or running around and finding trouble.

However, in today's world, the friggin' cost of some activities is out of control. Petty mentioned the $$ he has dropped on baseball. We do the same with gymnastics and, unfortunately, it's time for them to decide between activities as I can't justify the coin being spent on everything.

Default Crushed

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Solid advice from the newb Brett. Ha.

I like the approach of determining what he wants in the future. I spent a TON of time at the ballfields knowing I had little interest in playing at the next level. I wouldn't say I regret it as I enjoyed it, but looking back, it is time that I could have spent doing something else.
    I'm starting to think my boy is thinking the same way. would never in a million years have thought that but his actions here lately make me think he's not all that interested in playing. not gonna push it down his throat, he's a big boy and can let me know what he wants to do.

looks like ill be saving a ton of money that I can now throw into the boat. TX Jam looking more like a go than a no go now to

sent from my home phone
    Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Like what?

We know our kids have little chance of being college-level athletes (due to my genetics), but we like that they are outdoors and active vs veg'ing out in front of the TV and/or running around and finding trouble.
    I was coming more from the approach of adjusting focus, not necessarily losing it. I completely agree the new found time shouldn't be spent vegging out. I would have spent more time on the water, around cars, or getting experience in an industry I wanted to work towards. Things I would carry into and past the college level.

My perspective comes from me continuing to play ball after I had lost interest just so I didn't disappoint the parents. I got out of select team ball but continued to play high school ball and I'm certain by the time I made it to my senior year, the guys who were serious were over me bc I just didn't care at that point.

I'm not pushing quit by any means. Just giving another side.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Default Crushed

Lots of real good advice here, Jason what grade is your son in?
    Jeff

2012 Outback V

Default Crushed

He's a freshman sir

sent from my ipad2 via a wireless network which usually sucks
    Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Default Crushed

Thanks for your post Brett. I'm gonna have my son read this thread I think when he gets home. His private coach is a collegiate coach who played ball at the minor league level. He's next in line to take over a pretty dominate TX college program and has already made comments off line regarding my sons future in the game. That's why this is such a shock. KG's post may have hit home the most thou and more than likely that's what's going in in my sons head

sent from my ipad2 via a wireless network which usually sucks
    Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV