Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Almost Mooba Owner - worried about scam?

We are working with a private seller via Craigslist to purchase a 2007 Moomba Outback. The boat is sweet and we'll only need to do some cosmetic work on it to bring it to like-new condition. My husband has spoken to the owner over the phone many times, and we have had numerous emails with him including a multitude of pictures.

He is asking for a $200 deposit to hold the boat for us for a few weeks until we're able to make the long drive to see the boat, and the sale is pending an engine test and thorough inspection.

I am 80% sure this is a genuine deal. The only thing that worries me is this deposit. While I completely understand the reason for it (I would be peeved if the tables were turned and I took a listing down for 3 weeks and didn't end up selling it), it raises a red flag for the mere reason that this is a CRaigslist deal. It has nothing to do with the guy personally. I am just leery of Craigslist deal in general. My husband isn't worried at all. This is just my worry.

So, if you were selling your boat to someone hundreds of miles away, what would be the best method to prove the boat exists and that you are, indeed holding it for the potential buyer?

Default Almost Mooba Owner - worried about scam?

where is the boat located. this is a great community and if the boat is close to someone here I'm sure they would go check it out for you.

I don't see an issue with a deposit, most dealerships require the same thing. they aren't gonna hold the boat for you for 2 weeks and potentially lose the sale to someone else while waiting. pretty normal to ask for a deposit I think

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Jason,

Thanks for replying. I think I just need reassuring, LOL. First boat purchase, so I'm naturally nervous. The boat is located near Louisville, KY.

I understand the concern. On the other hand it's only $200 which seems like a very small amount to hold a big ticket item for several weeks. There are brokers that can help with transactions like these too if you really want to be careful. Might cost you more than $200 though... Hopefully someone local can go verify the boat is legit for you.

Well, my husband thinks I'm being silly. I think it is probably fine, but it was just one of those things that I got concerned about. If there happens to be anyone on here from Louisville that would be able to check this boat out for us, that would be awesome. If not, I doubt we'd hire a broker due to cost. We're getting a great deal on this boat, though so we are super psyched. Can't wait to start joining in on the wakesurfing posts!

Adriane

Quote Originally Posted by O-Boat View Post
    Can't wait to start joining in on the wakesurfing posts!

Adriane
    Adriane - please, please, please don't let me steal any joy from you, but the Outback isn't the best choice for surfing unless it's the right price point for your budget. If wakesurfing is your thing, you may want to consider a V-drive boat.

I agree with Petty. Tell us where it is, and most likely, somebody on here is close enough to check it out for you. Frankly, I think you're in a good spot and somewhat lucky the seller is willing to hold it for you for only $200. When I sell an item on CraigsList, first one to put the cash in my hand gets it. I got burned too many times with folks saying they were on their way and then no-show which cost me selling to other interested parties.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    I agree with Petty. Tell us where it is, and most likely, somebody on here is close enough to check it out for you. Frankly, I think you're in a good spot and somewhat lucky the seller is willing to hold it for you for only $200. When I sell an item on CraigsList, first one to put the cash in my hand gets it. I got burned too many times with folks saying they were on their way and then no-show which cost me selling to other interested parties.
    Amen to that....that's how I roll

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Amen to that....that's how I roll
    I missed out on several boats during my search, sometimes I couldn't get the paypal deposit out fast enough. If it's a decent boat and priced right it'll move, someone just needs to stop by with cash and it's gone.. Better to send a paypal deposit and pick it up asap...
    Last edited by parrothd; 01-29-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I agree. If it is the right one then go get it. I dropped everything and went to Owensboro, Kentucky one time. Another time I left at 3 am for Cary, North Carolina. Sometimes you just gotta go.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!