Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Potential boat questions? Oil low

Hey guys. Ok so I'm going to test drive a 2008 mobius lsv tomorrow and my friend took it out today after six or seven months of not being cranked. He said its been 170 hrs since impeller change and 150 since an oil change. So after about 20 min driving he said he noticed that it was smoking a little or he thought so he put it on the trailer and took it to the marina to see an Indmar technician. They found it to be 2 quarts low on oil but they said that is expected after a full season of 150 hrs. Also he said that it ran a little hot when idling or will ballasts full at surf speed but normal at twenty mph. Which they said was normal for an impeller needing to be changed. What do you guys think? Anyone ever had either of these experiences?

I assume the oil and impeller are now both new? You should be good to go. Tell your buddy impellers and oil are cheap insurance to protect very expensive components. Even if they live it will affect his re-sale.
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    I assume the oil and impeller are now both new? You should be good to go. Tell your buddy impellers and oil are cheap insurance to protect very expensive components. Even if they live it will affect his re-sale.
    No it's not mine ill be testing it tomorrow.

You buying it? Have you at least added oil?
    -Jake

I would not buy one that Smoked Noticeably or was low on oil without taking it to an unbiased Moomba Dealer and having a Compression test and General Check up done. Don't ignore the obvious! The fix is to expensive. Do I sound like I've had the experience. Replaced an engine the first week after buying the used Jet Ski! Cost me $3600 to save the $125 they would have charged to check it out!
    FamilyMatters

2009 Outback

If the guy had to go see an Indmar technician to find out it was 2 quarts low on oil buy a different guy's boat.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    If the guy had to go see an Indmar technician to find out it was 2 quarts low on oil buy a different guy's boat.
    He knew it was low. Just doesn't know why.

x2 with Kane. One would expect the oil to be at capacity when selling and most would change it.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by gdhall View Post
    Hey guys. Ok so I'm going to test drive a 2008 mobius lsv tomorrow and my friend took it out today after six or seven months of not being cranked. He said its been 170 hrs since impeller change and 150 since an oil change. So after about 20 min driving he said he noticed that it was smoking a little or he thought so he put it on the trailer and took it to the marina to see an Indmar technician. They found it to be 2 quarts low on oil but they said that is expected after a full season of 150 hrs. Also he said that it ran a little hot when idling or will ballasts full at surf speed but normal at twenty mph. Which they said was normal for an impeller needing to be changed. What do you guys think? Anyone ever had either of these experiences?

How many hours are on the engine total?

Not changing the oil and impeller for a season is not bad, not changing them when you put 100+ hours a season is bad.
    Idmar reccomends an oil change every 50 hours, and most replace there impeller each season or 100 hours.

The current owner knowing the boat would be low on oil and not at least topping it off before a test run for a new buyer just shows he doesnt really care that much about the boat. This in its self would worry me.

Smoking from the engine? Where was the smoke? What kind of smoke?
    Was it from the engine compartment? This could indicate an oil leak.
    Was the smoke white comming from the exhaust or from around the swim deck? This is normal due to the engine expelling hot water through the exhaust into a much colder lake. I have seen this on almost ever boat i have been on in the early parts of the season. Its very common in cold water.

Look over the rest of the boat, what do you see in the engine area? Any leaks? Anything that looks way too clean?
    Any oil or stains on the Bilge pump showing that oil or something of the kind has been in the bilge at some point?
    Look at the seat edges, are they discolored from boating and sun tan oils that dont ever get cleaned off?
    Look at the hull of the boat while its on the trailer, is there scracthes and gouging from beaching the boat?
    Look over the trailer, are the rims clean, no brake dust or axle oil?
    Any welds in the boat trailer cracking?
    At the roller on the bow, is the framing bent, recently repaired or weld damages?

Lastly, this seems odd, but ask the seller to see his vechicle, the one he drives all the time. Look at it, look it over, this will tell you how well or not well he really takes care of his vechicles. Most people i have found take much better care of there boat then there own daily car. The daily car is just that, your in it every day so you get used to the dirt, trash, or what ever. The boat for most is a joyous place to be and have friends out, and like when you invite people over, you will normal clean the house more then normal so its looks as nice as possible.

These are things i would be looking for.

The engines can run 2 quarts low, is it good for them? No but they will survive.
    Can the engine run hot? Sure as long as its not at the over temp on the needle.

From the sounds of it, the boat doesnt get enough maintenance or the person uses it a ton in the summer and doesnt do enough maintenance.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Ok thanks man. Don't get the wrong impression this guy took the day off yesterday to drive his boat then took it to Indmar they topped it off and told him the two quarts is normal and that he needed a full service soon before hitting it hard. Then he ran it again with no signs of smoke. They also mentioned that the smoke could be totally normal from a hot boat in cold water if it was like what your saying. This guy is a good guy he just isn't inclined when it comes to engines. All the services were done by Indmar certified techs and its still under warranty. I think he's got a little under 400 hours on it.