Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kicker 700.5 Going in to Protect Mode - No sound from cabin speakers

Gents, I need a little bit of help troubleshooting. First off, the tower speakers are working properly (Kicker HLCDs fed off a kicker 500.2). The cabin speakers (6 of the original Kenwoods that came from the factory) and sub (stock kenwood) are fed from a Kicker 700.5. The 2 bow speakers are each on a channel and 4 rear cabin speakers are wired in parallel on two channels with the sub on its own channel.

Yesterday, the cabin speakers did not work. I looked inside and saw the red light flashing on the 700.5. I had kids waiting to wakeboard so I turned off the stereo and waited on troubleshooting. Today, I went to check it out and had the same thing. The amp is intermittent at best. It worked for about 5 seconds when I turned it on and them the red light started flashing indicating protect mode. It will come on intermittently for about 1 second out of 10 then the lights start flashing again.

I assume one of the speakers is bad. This happened a few years ago with the tower speakers when I was running the stock setup of kenwood coaxials (same speakers in the tower that I still have in the cabin). I actually still have 3 replacements in the attic from when I swapped the tower out for the kickers. My question is, how do I test the speakers adequately? Can I just put the multimeter on and check for the proper resistance (ohms)?

I have made no other change to the system and the amp seems to be getting adequate power (will verify tomorrow). Is there anything else I should be checking? What is the proper procedure to determine if I have a bad speaker or a faulty amplifier? I'll start messing with it in the morning. I guess I can just start swapping speakers but there must be a better way to test them.

As always, thanks for the help. You guys rock.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    Gents, I need a little bit of help troubleshooting. First off, the tower speakers are working properly (Kicker HLCDs fed off a kicker 500.2). The cabin speakers (6 of the original Kenwoods that came from the factory) and sub (stock kenwood) are fed from a Kicker 700.5. The 2 bow speakers are each on a channel and 4 rear cabin speakers are wired in parallel on two channels with the sub on its own channel.

Yesterday, the cabin speakers did not work. I looked inside and saw the red light flashing on the 700.5. I had kids waiting to wakeboard so I turned off the stereo and waited on troubleshooting. Today, I went to check it out and had the same thing. The amp is intermittent at best. It worked for about 5 seconds when I turned it on and them the red light started flashing indicating protect mode. It will come on intermittently for about 1 second out of 10 then the lights start flashing again.

I assume one of the speakers is bad. This happened a few years ago with the tower speakers when I was running the stock setup of kenwood coaxials (same speakers in the tower that I still have in the cabin). I actually still have 3 replacements in the attic from when I swapped the tower out for the kickers. My question is, how do I test the speakers adequately? Can I just put the multimeter on and check for the proper resistance (ohms)?

I have made no other change to the system and the amp seems to be getting adequate power (will verify tomorrow). Is there anything else I should be checking? What is the proper procedure to determine if I have a bad speaker or a faulty amplifier? I'll start messing with it in the morning. I guess I can just start swapping speakers but there must be a better way to test them.

As always, thanks for the help. You guys rock.
    First test is remove wires from amp to speaker and use a meter to test ohm load on each speaker.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

You can also disconnect all the speaker wires and then RCA cables, one at a time and see if the amp returns to normal mode. Just be sure to power the system down and then back up when making the disconnects. if you have proper voltage at the main terminals and the amp stays in protect mode with nothing else connected, then the issue is internal of the amp.

It is the subwoofer. Disconnected the RCAs and the other cabin speakers worked fine.

If I dial down the gain on the sub the amp does not go into protect and it still functions. When I put it back to where it was it instantly goes into protect.

I am reading 12.8 volts at the amp power source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    340HP CAT/ETX
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post

If I dial down the gain on the sub the amp does not go into protect and it still functions. When I put it back to where it was it instantly goes into protect.

To clarify, this is after I plugged the subwoofer RCAs back in.

340HP CAT/ETX

So amp work fine with woofer disconnected. Reconnected, you can prevent protect mode by turning down the woofer gain? Where is it set at in terms of clock position or %? I would dig deeper into a possible woofer issue. Unless you are certain the gain has been turned up recently, prior to the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    So amp work fine with woofer disconnected. Reconnected, you can prevent protect mode by turning down the woofer gain? Where is it set at in terms of clock position or %? I would dig deeper into a possible woofer issue. Unless you are certain the gain has been turned up recently, prior to the issue?
    Correct. I turned it up at the beginning of the season.

Here is where it is now. Before the issue it was 3 clicks to the right...halfway between the current tick mark and the next. I'll assume that is too high in your experience?

340HP CAT/ETX

Too high too low is relative. Some unknowns here so really cant say. However, I typically dont get concerned about gain levels until we get past 50%. The other tuning adjustments as well as the pre-amp level will play into the gain level, not to mention the speaker and how its loaded. Cross over looks a little low.

Understood. I get that most of this is relative...I've followed these forums long enough to know I don't know much.

The sub is the stock 10" Kenwood that came with the boat. Loaded directly into the kick panel and not properly enclosed. It is as old as the boat (10 years) and not a marine speaker so if it is going, I guess it has had a pretty good run.

20170628_170724351_iOS.jpg
    20170628_170736484_iOS.jpg

Also, is there a rule of thumb for the LPF? About what would you expect to see?
    Last edited by Poison; 07-22-2017 at 01:32 PM.
    340HP CAT/ETX

80-100Hz depending on woofer.
    2018 Supra SL550
    2017 Supra SE450