Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Steep Driveway Parking

First off I got the wife to let me get the stuff I wanted this winter. Got the ibs and bow filler cushion coming. I want a spot closer to my place to keep my boat during the summer, but if all else fails I might have to park it in my driveway sometimes. Any advice my driveway is pretty steep but I know the trailer has that lock thing that breaks the tire.
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

Backing it up wont be an issues, chock the wheels and you should be able to unhook it. The problem you will have is when your backing up, it compresses the tongue for the brakes, and when you try to unhook it the tongue wants to go forward to its nuetral position. Also depending on how steep the driveway it will make the ball angle very drastic and a bit harder to unhook and rehook.

At my older home i had to unhook in the driveway a few times and it was steep. It just takes more work.

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Backing it up wont be an issues, chock the wheels and you should be able to unhook it. The problem you will have is when your backing up, it compresses the tongue for the brakes, and when you try to unhook it the tongue wants to go forward to its nuetral position.
    Those are very handy photos!

The problem of the tongue decompressing, or just any small downhill trailer movement, can be avoided by chocking the wheels and then putting the truck into neutral and letting it drift downhill a few inches. Then drop the trailer's front wheel and raise the tongue. This is also a safety test, as it confirms that the chocks are going to stop the boat as you intend.

At my home with essentially level driveway where the boat parks, but a few slight valleys in the surface, I put the truck in neutral and let the truck/trailer drift where they want before using chocks. This minimises any trailer drift and tension at the ball when unhooking.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

My driveway is super steep (although my neighbors is worse) - my concern is with the prop guard gouging the asphalt when backing it in - bought in December, so I haven't tried to back a boat in yet;

2013 Outback V

Great looking new place there, Ian. My last home had a driveway at least as steep as Mikes and probably twice as long and I never had an issue. I think I remember that the trailer has some little rollers back there in the underside of the prop guard that should help you avoid the gouging you're concerned about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've seen those rollers, but they are not standard on all trailers.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

My pictures are a little misleading to the steepness, when i would pull down or back up i only had 1/2 inch clearence.

You can get the wheels added by almost any dealer, its a good investment if you need them. The have very small steel rollers they can weld in place and larger wheels demending on your need.

I have seen them on Supra trailers so i expect if you wanted to DIY contact Boatmate

Same time as the other picture just a rear view.

Last edited by mmandley; 01-27-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

photo(1).jpg

Heres a picture of my driveway. I'm thinking wheel chocks will work. Also heard about some RV ones that lock the tires?
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by snyderaaron View Post
    photo(1).jpg

Heres a picture of my driveway. I'm thinking wheel chocks will work. Also heard about some RV ones that lock the tires?
    I am sure beefy chock will work.

The RV design that spreads between the two tires might work pretty well.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

These won't slide on gravel, sand, etc on the concrete. Dad has them for his 36ft 5th wheel that sits on a bit of a downhill slope.

So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...