Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tower Speakers/Amps

Just bought a new Moomba Mobius LSV and am considering adding additional tower speakers. It's our first wakeboard boat with a tower so I'm not too familiar with the stereo/speaker/amp necessities. I asked the dealership about adding 2 additional tower speakers and in the price quote they added an amp along with the speakers. Do you need an additional amp for ever new set of tower speakers you add? Right now they are installing 2 speakers and an amp but would I need another amp if I added 2 more tower speakers too?
    2013 Mobius LSV
    Lake, Sun, Cold Beer = Moomba Time: Life is Good

You do not necessarily need an amp per pair of speakers. There are ALOT of variables, though.

What are you hoping to accomplish with the speakers on the tower? Do you know what components the dealership is installing?

Dealers have come quite a ways but they still might not be the ideal people to install stereo, depends on the dealer, and possibly how its worked into the overall "deal".
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by jntMobiusLSV View Post
    Just bought a new Moomba Mobius LSV and am considering adding additional tower speakers. It's our first wakeboard boat with a tower so I'm not too familiar with the stereo/speaker/amp necessities. I asked the dealership about adding 2 additional tower speakers and in the price quote they added an amp along with the speakers. Do you need an additional amp for ever new set of tower speakers you add? Right now they are installing 2 speakers and an amp but would I need another amp if I added 2 more tower speakers too?
    It depends on the 4 speakers that are going to be used and the current amp choice. If you want to add that 2nd pair, the ideal amp would be a 2 chnl amp with sufficient 2 ohm x 2 output to properly power the 4 pods. With additional details of the speakers and amp, a yes or no answer can be given, as well as any recommendations.

I've got to check with the dealership to find out the specifics of the amp and speakers, then I'll repost that info. Also, how important is a subwoofer? I know alot of people have those installed too. Just want it to sound good, but not looking to be the loudest boat on the lake. Ha
    2013 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by jntMobiusLSV View Post
    I've got to check with the dealership to find out the specifics of the amp and speakers, then I'll repost that info. Also, how important is a subwoofer? I know alot of people have those installed too. Just want it to sound good, but not looking to be the loudest boat on the lake. Ha
    Even a 10" sub with moderate power will make a system come to life. The sub will fill in all those missing notes that the 6.5" in-boat speakers can not reproduce. For some, they want ripple water and kill fish, so they go with larger subs with more power handling and more complicated enclosures and installs. So it would depend on your wants.

So true that you have to know precisely the existing tower amplifier make, model and wiring scheme (two-channel, bridged 4-channel, etc.) plus the existing tower speaker make, model & impedance (assuming that the added tower speaker is identical) before coming to a conclusion. You've got to be concerned with thermal capacity (varies with amplifier), final impedance load and what the most power efficient configuration will be for a particular number of speakers. So with complete information it's really an easy answer.
    Subwoofer? Even if you are by no means a bass head, the addition of a moderate subwoofer is huge. 6.5" coaxials cannot reach down and deliver the bottom usable octave of music. A well-balanced subwoofer will definitely add musicality to any boat system.

David

MLA, I just sent you a PM. Thanks!

Sorry to threadjack, please return to regular programming!
    Jeff

2012 Outback V

Definitely go with a subwoofer, also check to see what they are installing as far as speakers and amp and check back with us on the price they gave you. Generally dealers will install the factory option at a premium price which may not be what is best for you in the long run, definitely do it right the first time.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelskier View Post
    MLA, I just sent you a PM. Thanks!

Sorry to threadjack, please return to regular programming!
    Thanks, reply sent.

Thanks for the info. Since we purchased the boat at the boat show they were running several "included" upgrades in the purchase price of the boat. Amp is a Kicker DX series but not sure which model and speakers are Roswell R6 Classic. I've been told by the dealership if I go with a 10" subwoofer I will also need to upgrade to a larger amp, which makes sense but all of this stereo, speaker, amp, subwoofer is like another language to me. Ha
    2013 Mobius LSV