Question Flush Kit and Water Strainer option?

My wife and I have decided to upgrade the boat this year. We are looking at the 2013 Mojo with the 345. I saw that there is a "Flush Kit" and "Water Strainer" option. We are wondering what those are and is it something we should consider?

Thanks in advance,
    Todd

2000 Glastron 195sx
    Strongly Considering 2013 Mojo

The water strainer is basically a filter that strains out lake particles before they go inside of your engine. It is usually a canister shape that is clear so you can see any debris. It is recommended if you have weeds or a lot of aquatic plant life (or trash) in your water.
    The Flush Kit is a device on the same inlet hose that allows you to hook up a garden hose to it to provide a water source to the engine. This allows you to run the boat on the trailer. It is handy for winterizing your boat or if you use your boat in brackish/salt water.

Based on the cost (usually kind of low) to have it installed from SC, I would do it. If you never use it, oh well. If you ever need it and it isn't there, it could cost you a lot.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by STBraley View Post
    My wife and I have decided to upgrade the boat this year.
    Knew this was going to happen! Congrats to you guys.

I put the strainer on mine but not the flush kit. Based on our conversation, you probably don't need either but I agree with maxpower that they are "nice to haves" and aren't all that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

I just bought a flush kit for my 07 LSV to help with winterizing and I couldn't be more disappointed. I paid 100 for the flush kit and cut the inlet hose to put it in line so thats another 40 bucks. It works good with garden hose pressure but if your like me and use antifreeze to winterize, the gravity feed into the unit wont flow into the engine. There is a spring in there that the pressure of the hose will push back in the closed position so no water will come out the scoop on the bottom when flushing. The problem is that the gravity feed from your bucked with antifreeze isnt enough pressure to overcome the spring tension and all the antifreeze will just run out the bottom of the boat. I am now going to just buy a T fitting and a shutoff valve like I should have done to begin with.

For Sale: Nearly new fresh water flush kit for an inboard boat. Only used once. Asking 40.00

Quote Originally Posted by STBraley View Post
    My wife and I have decided to upgrade the boat this year. We are looking at the 2013 Mojo with the 345. ,

Nice upgrade for a boat and the upgrade motor is so nice
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Thanks everybody,

This forum is very helpful. Now that I know what they are, I need to ask the dealer what they will cost.

Thanks again
    Todd

2000 Glastron 195sx
    Strongly Considering 2013 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by chadjitsu1 View Post
    There is a spring in there that the pressure of the hose will push back in the closed position so no water will come out the scoop on the bottom when flushing. The problem is that the gravity feed from your bucked with antifreeze isnt enough pressure to overcome the spring tension and all the antifreeze will just run out the bottom of the boat..

For Sale: Nearly new fresh water flush kit for an inboard boat. Only used once. Asking 40.00
    The flush kit should have come with a device to put inside of it, before attaching a hose, to keep that spring open. It came with my flush kit. Otherwise, there is no way to gravity feed the flush kit.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

These are both easy DIY mods if you are in to that sort of thing. You can add the strainer for $30 in parts, and instead of the flush kit you can make a fake a lake for $15 that takes under a minute to hook up.

More importantly, GET THE MOJO!

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    The flush kit should have come with a device to put inside of it, before attaching a hose, to keep that spring open. It came with my flush kit. Otherwise, there is no way to gravity feed the flush kit.
    You are correct but that little plastic thing they give you really restricts the flow, I just about over heated the boat doing this. I ended up just pulling the hose off the flush kit and sticking the antifreeze hose in that to get goo flow.