Default Vertical Lift vs Cantilever lift

hi all

have an 05 Outback. we just bought a cottage last year near Huntsville ON. thinking of getting a lift for the boat. been researching posts here and online. two well known companies in our area are Naylor and R & J Machine. both make a good product, but cannot decide which system is better. both are about the same money. it appears the vertical lifts 6ft and the cantilever only 4ft. the cantilever system looks a touch more complicated or problems down the road? can anyone with a lift advise any pros or cons to these systems? and or thoughts on manual or electrical power? thanks in advance smak.

I purchased a cantilever lift. I have owned it since 2003 and have moved it to a different lake. The stresses on the cable are slightly less on a cantilever and when in the full up position (or close to full up/down) there is very little stress on the cable system. My fresh water lakes don't vary much in level, so that wasn't an issue.

I had a cable break and the failure did not result in any damage to the boat. I learned that you must inspect the cable, or more closely that I had done in the past.

Due to money constraints, I purchased a manual lift. While it is not hard, it's a lot of time/work. Spinning the larger wheel 100,000 times seemed to move the boat up/down 1". I later purchased a motor that spins the large wheel. No more effort, but it still take 3-4 minutes to go up or down. I chose a battery operated one because I did not have electric at my first boat dock. If I had it to do over, I would get a hydraulic. At very least, get some type of a motor. Cranking by hand is for the birds.

BTW, I bought a Hewitt. I know Shorelander and others are also popular. What ever make/model, make sure that you can get pulleys and wear items from them in the future.

Good luck
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

thanks for the info....smak

I went vertical over Hewitt cantilever, smaller footprint and just a nicer direction to pull the boat up from.
    straight up vs. up nd forward.

Always watch you cables , I did not realize that ss cables snap, they will, just keep a good eye out fr wear and creaking nd you should be good.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Before you make a choice a good point to check is the adjustment to the legs and pin location , some company's put the pin at the very bottom of the frame a pain in the a&$ when water is cold for removal ,some above water line which I have is awesome don't need to get wet to remove the lift .
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD

I know a guy with this style lift. It used air sacs basically and lifts the boat straight up. Pretty cool, takes about 2 minutes of the air pump working.

http://www.boatlift.com/index.cfm?id=12
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I don't think I would want an air bag system if i was on open water the waves would rock it way too much for my comfort. No in a marina that is a different story they are great in a situation lie that.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"