Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your brother only has 2 kids???? So its not genetic.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

He's already up to 3 and moved into a lot bigger house in great schools. Guy doesn't have a boat anymore though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

seems like the guys in the North boat differently than the guys in the South- when we head to Norris we pack everything up + 4 coolers and then add an extra case of beer and plan to stay out all day with the whole family. When we go to the smaller lakes up north folks hang out on the dock and the ski boat swing back to the dock to pick up the next skier. They have crazy water jungle jims and stuff right by the dock to keep everyone entertained and you can see the entire lake from the dock anyways. If slalom is your thing and you don't plan to take the entire family out while somebody is skiing (why would you add all the person weight unless you had too) then go closed bow. I'm guessing if you're in WI and you have a new baby the boat might just be for doing what it's meant for- pulling the skier. For me there's nothing like a classic looking closed bow for slalom. Unless I'm heading south in which case I'll take the open bow.

To answer your original question- I've skied behind the boomerang but not the Kanga- sorry.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Yeah the main lake we go to (5 miles from the house) has a sand bar that we spend most the day at. So when we ski we only take a driver, spotter, and the skier. So long as we are not skiing with the center pylon the boomerang has enough room for 4 or so people right? Spent a lot of time in my buddies ski brendella (pro or super comp or....?) this last summer and the dimensions on that are just a tiny bit larger then the rang. I really do appreciate the heads up on everything here guys. Glad I found this forum. And skiyaker, how was the slalom behind the rang? I hear mixed thing. Waterski mag wrote it up to be awesome, but then others say its deceptive? I think it seems like some are just pissed that a $16k brand new boat performed as well as their $40k+ boats do.

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    closed bow will be lighter, but if you are mainly using it for slalom and use the center pylon, you are limited on passenger counts. the open bow will allow you an extra skier or 2 and not be sitting on top of each other. not sure if you have kids, but seems the general consensus is an open bow is a better family boat as well. that can sometimes keep the CEO of the house happy
    We are a ski family and our first boat was an older Supra TSM6 comp boat! GREAT boat with an awesome wake and so nice for skiing. But we sold it to a younger dude and his wife and we bought our Moomba DD Outback for one reason and one reason only - IT HAS AN OPEN BOW!!!

As soon as you start sharing your love of boating and skiing with friends and as your little one grows up you are going to find you wished you had that open bow.

Our daughter is 15 and a decent skier and barefooter. But what's most importatnt to her to spend a day on the water is - "WHAT FRIEND CAN COME TODAY?"

If I lived on a private ski course lake I'd have no issues with a closed bow boat. But I do like the open bow because it still ski's great and well..............we get to help a whole lot more people get to enjoy the fun and lifestyle!!!!

My 2 cents for what they are worth?
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skiyaker View Post
    seems like the guys in the North boat differently than the guys in the South- when we head to Norris we pack everything up + 4 coolers and then add an extra case of beer and plan to stay out all day with the whole family. When we go to the smaller lakes up north folks hang out on the dock and the ski boat swing back to the dock to pick up the next skier. They have crazy water jungle jims and stuff right by the dock to keep everyone entertained and you can see the entire lake from the dock anyways. If slalom is your thing and you don't plan to take the entire family out while somebody is skiing (why would you add all the person weight unless you had too) then go closed bow. I'm guessing if you're in WI and you have a new baby the boat might just be for doing what it's meant for- pulling the skier. For me there's nothing like a classic looking closed bow for slalom. Unless I'm heading south in which case I'll take the open bow.
    Funny you make that a northern vs southern thing. To me it's more if you have a place on the water or not. Although I admit in the summer down here you have to stay in the water or at least get back in every 5-10 min to cool off.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Better boat for same price...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...back-101927991

Don't forget correct carfts...This one has PP...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...ique-101900547
    Last edited by parrothd; 01-24-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

if you are a fast skier, you will not want to hook the ski rope to the rear of the boat as you will pull the boat around too much due to it's light weight. you will want to use the center pylon to ski. that's what it's there for. the 'rang is an awesome ski wake, but the boat itself is downright uncomfortable for more than 3. 2 riding and one skiing is the max we ever take. when going out to a dock, 5 in the boat is uncomfortable. I couldn't imagine spending a day on that boat with 5 even w/o any watersports.
    my buddy has said if it would have been in his budget, he would ditch the 'rang for an open bow. I know you say you don't need it, but you will.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Funny you make that a northern vs southern thing. To me it's more if you have a place on the water or not. Although I admit in the summer down here you have to stay in the water or at least get back in every 5-10 min to cool off.
    yeah I guess when I say north vs south I'm just talking about a function of lake size of the smaller WI/MI/IN/MN lakes vs TN/KY TVA lakes; I've not boated in FL so I shouldn't group you in with the TVA lakes. The guys in TN on for ex Norris who have water front property still seem to pack everything up and head out for the day.

It's been a few years since I skied the boomerang but I recall the wake being excellently course worthy at 15 off 28-30mph. I would love to ski it again now that I've progressed a little but the guy who owned it at the club sold it (he got a larger open bow boat and is not happy with its wake). But the boomerang is what it is- a canoe with an engine. I think it had room for 4-barely. A very small but fun boat.

If you're getting a close bow you might think a little about when it comes time to sell it- there are some hulls of the correct craft (TSC 1 which I think was 1997-2002) and some early 90s Mastercrafts that are well sought after by slalom nuts and will always sell well to course skiers

see if you can find one well taken care of by an OCD course skier- maybe something like this
    http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/di...for-sale-13000
    Last edited by skiyaker; 01-24-2013 at 10:05 PM.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

I agree totally with iwaterskihard. Our 15 year old daughter always wants to take a friend (or 2) to the lake with us. The Boomerang is a fun boat to drive and ski behind but any more than 3 people and it starts getting crowded. I could not ask for a better slalom wake. I'd rather ski behind our Boomerang than my buddy's 95 Mastercraft ProStar 190 with LT1 and powerslot (real nice boat). But we just don't have the room anymore. Another thing we have to consider is that with a 15 year old, we have to start thinking about getting her a car to drive. We may have to live with a smaller boat at least 1 more year. We bought the Boomerang before having a child and it has been a great boat but are considering trading up now just to get more room.