Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ski Suggestions

Default Ski Suggestions

Recreational skiers behind 2012 LSV. Would like something a little more aggressive (fun) in the turns and cuts through the wake a little better. I think the ski I have is more for beginners wanting to ride at slower speeds.

Currently sking on a HO Burner. It is easy to get up, easy to ride but it doesn't seem to turn smoothly. I have convinced myself that I do not like the V bottom.

BTW....I don't anticipate doing anything but continuing to ski on rec level.

180 lbs
    5' 9"

Would appreciate any suggestions on good ski. Also, is there any online options to try them out prior to purchase?
    2012 Moomba LSV

There is no doubt a more aggressive ski would help you. I ski pretty hard (on my ski) and there has been a few occasions where I have been out with friends and jumped on their beginner ski and it felt like it was my first time up and couldn't even think of trying to lay it over for a big cut. I'm still skiing on a 15 year old HO Mach TRX and can push a lot of water around with it. I haven't kept up on all the new slalom equipment to give you any advice, but I'm sure your local salesman can help. You definitely get what you pay for and aggressive ski's do not compare with entry level equipment if you want to further your skills.

Any entry level tournament oreinted ski would probably be good. I am not familliar with all the new models. I recently bought an HOA2 - moving from a Radar Annex. I made the move to compensate for a defect in my style that was getting amplified by theh Annex - My fault - not the ski. You might want to look at the HO Triumph.

As far as try-then-buy. Many local shops will probably allow you to buy a ski - take it out and ski a few times. If unhappy trade it in for a different ski until you find what you like. The flexibility and convenience of this local shop may outweigh the 100 - 200 you might save on line. Also - I think D3 or Goode used to have a 100% satisfation guarantee - and would keep sending you skis until you got one yo liked. But you are going to spend a lot more for them.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of the HO Mach 1 or the HO Triumph also.
    2012 Moomba LSV

The triumph would be a nice step up. Thats my old ski which is a very compitent ski and can be pushed far enough especially if your gonna be skiing behind an LSV. If you ever decide to step up to course skiing it will still suffice more so than your boat for this purpose.

Nothing against the LSV,but you are gonna be dealing with a fairly large wake at the best. There are MANY skis that would suit your needs, As mentioned most places will let you buy/demo or upgrade if you don't like. Except for Goode.

Goode is a very high end brand and even then they have a very strict return policy/warranty. Due to this our local ski shop has decided this brand is not worth the trouble of carrying. They have or will get any other brand out there.Politics i guess?? Ask around.. There are so many new brands ,versions out there now its kinda mind boggling,Other option is if you get the chance to demo friends skis etc, i definetely recommend this.

I've tried a Burner and a charger which are both fun skis but the Triumph is the next step up. I currently ski a 69 Monza and its old but more than sufficient for what i want...
    07 Outback DD

MP - Get rid of the Burner. Any ski with a good concave and true engineered edges will put you at a different level. Lots of good advice here but another thing you might want to consider is purchasing a used ski from someone who has upgraded.

Lots of skiers (myself included) upgrade our ski's as we progress with our own skiing. As much as I don't want to sound like a salesman for myself I will give you a prime example: I upgraded my ski this last spring to a new ski & model. I purchased my old ski (blank) for $900 new just three years ago. I only ski'd on it for 2 years as it sat in the rafters of my garage all last summer. I want only $300 for it and whoever buys it will be getting a VERY good ski in VERY good condintion that will allow them to improve their skiing a whole lot. I haven't advertised it on here but my point is there are many good ski's out there for a whole lot less than a new one. I have another older HO that I'd be happy to get $100for. Top that off with some bidings from e-bay or your local watersports shop that is blowing out last years stock or older stock at next to nothing prices and whola......you have a good/great ski for you and your ability that is in GREAT shape, will suit your needs for years, and costs next to nothing compared to new skis & bindings.

You also ski behind a boat that will always have a fairly large wake compared to any Direct Drive boat Moomba or otherwise. THAT ALONE will be one of your largest obstacles in really improving your skiing. Tossing up a big spray and throwing down a few good cuts is certainly going to be possible but not consistantly and I personally shutter at the thought of hitting your first wake in a stacked position at 22 off going 50+ miles an hour!!!! LOL

There are many choices and selections available and all are different. Just about all of the top brands are damned good skis no matter who you go with. New or used? But they are also all different. A 66" HO is going to ski different than a 66" Radar or 66" Connelly. You will have to adjust your skiing to the ski or spend hours with a professional getting the settings on the ski and fin changed to make it just right? It happens EVERY TIME you get a new ski. I know myself it's tough jumping onto someone else's ski and accomplishing what I do on my own ski. It takes some time to adjust.

I hope you have good luck finding something? New or used there are so many options out there it can be mond boggling.

Here's hoping that some of what we have said and posted helps you out?

Oh and do us a favor...........when you do buy a ski please come back to this post and let the gang know what you purchased and how much you like skiing on your new/next to new ride!!!
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!

I would also add the Connelly Concept to the list of skis to look at...its affordable and available in several different lengths. I have a 66" which I keep going back to after trying several other makes of skis. I've found this to be a very stable ski with excellent rough water performance. I tried the Radar Senate for a while but found it a much rougher ride across the wakes. The Concept slices through the wakes nicely which would probably be a good thing if skiing behind an LSV
    Pat L
    2005 Outback
    Leonardtown, Maryland

I agree with the Concept. I skied on one for many years. Very stable for me.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Camp on pool 8 of Allegheny River (Adrian, PA)

Default 2012 Triumph (double Basis)

For Christmas I bought myself a 2012 HO Triumph (69") with double basis boots. I had been skiing on a HO CDX (68") with double Approach boots.
    I had been trying several other skis over the last year and was stuck somewhere between a competition ski and a entry level ski. THe Triumph seemed like the right thing and I could not pass up the price. I found the ski at SunandSki in Nashville, TN while I was down there for some training. Passed on it at first but then ended up buying it off the store website a few weeks later. Store price was $640.00 on sale for $560.00 then it was listed on the website at $375.00 with free delivery. Like I said...could not pass up the deal.
    2003 Outback
    Boat name = Lynn Syndrome
    Its a condition that runs in the family...Judy Lynn (mother-in-law) Heather Lynn (wife) & Megan Lynn (daughter)...no known cure...but the boat helps
    New boat for me on 10/9/10.

Is the Triumph a double concave or am I thinking of a different HO? Maybe Magnum? My brother has one of them and I hated the double concave but he likes how it breaks up the chop. He lives coastal where it's always windy.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!