Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Plasti Dip

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to use the plasti-dip on the moomba letters? Dont you think the water would eventually just end up pealing it off. I would think that the constant water flowing over the letters would just mess it up after a few days on the lake.

I would love to buy those letters for my 07 LSV but they want 500 bucks for them, right now I have nothing on the boat but I think that the letters look awesome. I have heard people talking about the letters coming unglued so I didn't want to spend 500 on letters that are just going to fall off in the water.

If anyone has letters they want to sell me I will buy them off of you BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by chadjitsu1 View Post
    Do you guys think it would be a good idea to use the plasti-dip on the moomba letters? Dont you think the water would eventually just end up pealing it off. I would think that the constant water flowing over the letters would just mess it up after a few days on the lake.

I would love to buy those letters for my 07 LSV but they want 500 bucks for them, right now I have nothing on the boat but I think that the letters look awesome. I have heard people talking about the letters coming unglued so I didn't want to spend 500 on letters that are just going to fall off in the water.

If anyone has letters they want to sell me I will buy them off of you BTW.
    The plasti dip is a 2 part process in curing.

The first couple hours after you apply it you can easily peal it off to get the edges clean and undo mistakes and such.

You then have to let it cure for 1-3 days according to there videos. After the curing you can remove it still but its much much harder.

They show a 1800 PSI pressure washer spraying on the edges and directly on it to simulate how strong the bond it.

They also say its still removable but you have to really rub at the corners to start an edge.

I think if you have the Moomba letters already and want them as different colors this is a strong possiblity.

If i would have had the Letters on Fierah then i would have blacked them out with this to try it out for everyone. I had the tribal pattern and after a bad day at the docks from A holes wake boarding threw the no wake zone the got dock rash and had to go.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I can say with complete Certainty that Drew wont be buying an SA. Not because of price or budget but because the SA really sucks as a surf boat.

I surfed it and you have to have all the hard ballast filled, plus bags, plus 6+ people in the boat to even start to get an LSV quality wave. The SA is a pure unadulterated Wake Boat Hull.

Like many boats out there, you can make it surf but honestly the wave was just tall and and very short. Even with a lot of Nose weight it wouldnt lengthen the pocket.

I was really really hopping it would be a good surf boat as i have loved the boat since i first saw it. I love the line, the looks, everything about the boat except the Surf wave.

That either means a newer mojo???? Or a surf specific boat
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Default Plasti Dip

Chad, my boat came with the chrome letters. Early last year I noticed they started peeling off so my boat was still under warranty so they were replaced. Since then I have had no problems out of them. From what I was told its not all the letters that have the problem. There was just a batch of bad ones from the supplier that were put on at the factory. They are a nice add but for how much they cost if they start peeling again they won't be replaced.

I may try the plasti-dip on them. I dont think the water would be an issue. The only thing I'm weary of is after you get it on and if you decide you want to take it off later after its cured you will need a bit of pressure to take it off. I wouldn't want it to weaken or pull the letters off during the process.

I think it will look pretty good but it also looks good chrome, heh decisions decisions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

E4Nash i understand your concerns.

Have your thought about 3m tape? You can buy it in larger sections and cut it to fit the Moomba Letters.

This stuff is tuff.

As for peeling off the plasti dip i cant say how hard it is or the pressure it takes, watching the videos it looks pretty simple once you get it going.

jmvotto you mean for Drew it has to be a New Mojo or Surf specific boat? I think Drew would love a new 13 Mojo but mainly for the subtle changes and the fact who doesnt like a new boat haha. I dont honestly see Drew changing brands right now, i think hes pretty happy with his Boat. He would have to really be getting a serious del to switch brands and i would only see him doing it strickly to help his daughters advance in the sport if they are really serious about going pro
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default Plasti Dip

I was at the boat show today and finally saw the chrome letters in person. if I had the letters on my boat I would immediately plasti dip them. especially after standing next to the sa350 and worlds with those letters blacked out.

I don't see any reason the material would come off if you didn't want it to come off but when/if you want it off it won't be an issue taking off. I think it would be the best $6.10 upgrade EVER. if anyone has some extra Moomba letters laying around ill take them off your hands and get them dipped up. full disclosure and documentation will follow

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Default Plasti Dip

How many cans do you think I'll need?

Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Tow Rig:

Quote Originally Posted by E4NASH View Post
    How many cans do you think I'll need?

I would go with 4 to be safe. You can always take them back LOL.

I would go with at least 5 or 6 light coats. Maybe even 8 or 10. It all depends on how the finish looks.
    I was watching videos and it shows how to fix blemishes, repair edges that peal up.

I too think if i had a boat with Chrome Letters they would be going black too. I keep looking at my truck to see what i could plastidip black or charcole grey. Nothing comes to mind LOL.

I like the chrome it has, side steps, bumpers, grill, and fender badges.
    Mirrors whipers, handles are already black.
    Dammit, i need something with chrome to plasti dip, im interested...

I can say if i still had Fierah i would be taking the windshield off and spraying the frame. I hated what ever coating was on it as it was peeling all the time. It looked nice new but the putting the cover on and off over the windshield put some scratches in it.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default Plasti Dip

Ok ok ok...I'll do it. Not sure when but it will be done! I will also do my emblems/badges on my truck.

Tow Rig:

Default Plasti Dip

no way will you need 4-6 cans for your letters. I have done 3 emblems (4-6 coats each), a skate board ( 3 coats) and the 4 light covers (4 coats) and i still have about a quarter of a can left. it goes a long way

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV