Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Default The countdown begins; my 2013 Outback V...

Tinkering in the boat the other day I came to the conclusion that the area above the cupholders in the gunwales is much too plain – granted this will house RGB-LED clad Exile speakers, as well as RGB-LED rings around the cup holders, but that big flat spot was bugging me.

Before;

I decided that I would try to make something similar to what Supra and Malibu have, but since I don’t have a CNC milling out of aluminum is out – searching eBay I found some chrome tail light bezels that were the right size, so I cut some acrylic and sanded 1 side, then glued it into the bezel, and placed a black Moomba sticker on it;

Next I added some RGB-LED strips;

I’m undecided if I am going to use it or keep working on the idea for something nicer. I think it looks OK, but just quite where I want it yet.
    Any suggestions?
    2013 Outback V

Yea, have some more kids.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Yea, have some more kids.
    Stephen
    2009 Mobius LSV
    Black and Yellow

You are now, most definitely, without a doubt, undeniably my new super hero.

I love this idea!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I like the bezel, especially lit. If you are wanting to change it up you could do "OUTBACK V" instead.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Ian,

Why the use of RGB strips instead of just plain green ones? Where do you get them from?

Thanks,
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Quote Originally Posted by jstenger View Post
    Ian,

Why the use of RGB strips instead of just plain green ones? Where do you get them from?

Thanks,
    RGB is more fun, and not much more work or money.

I am using 5050 SMD RGB strips from eBay.

These are basic RGB, which have 4 contacts. There are also "horse race" or "chaser" 5050 RGB strips, which have 10 contacts and while offer more programming options the contacts are microscopic and hard to solder.
    2013 Outback V

Started measuring and planning my stereo layout.

Since I ordered the boat without ballast (never used it on the DD, can't see why I'd want it on the V) I've got a huge "ski locker" to play with - I think I'm going to split the door and use the back part as an in-floor cooler, and the front as a ski locker. Also toying with the idea of putting the batteries in there;

This is a Group 27, and fits perfectly on both sides. The wheels are turning...

For anyone curious, this is how the mirror arm fits hen folded to the other side - perfectly out of the way;
    2013 Outback V

I also decided it would make more sense to build a mock-up box out of foam board before I cut it out of wood; when I did the DD I had the boat a few feet away so it was easy to tweak as I went. With Chase's LSV I measured then built and brought to the boat (30 minutes away) and that proved to be a PITA. Since the V is about 20 minutes away I figured this would save some headache.

The box is about 2.5 cubit feet (internal), and the port will be in the outside so as not to take up and displacement.

This boat doesn't have a traditional hump, rather just a 3" tall I-beam - I was going to build on top and forward of to save space, but the under dash area is much larger than the DD, so I can have a box that's 10" deep and not sacrifice much leg room; in fact I'll have significantly more legroom in this boat that I did in the DD.

If I ever decide to switch to larger woofers I can get about 4.5 cubic feet if I use the space above the I-beam in addition to this.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    I also started some instal projects; pop-up cleats and pin cleats were first up.

Clean slate;

Taped up, marked, and first hole drilled;

Holes drilled;

The finished product;

(I still need to shorten the rope for the pin cleat)
    Ian,

Did you add backing plates to your pop up cleats? I am currently adding rear ballast to my boat, and today I noticed 1/2" white plastic plates added to the inside of the hull where the factory installed cleats were. Not sure how important they are, but wanted you to know.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon