Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSV vs R20

Default LSV vs R20

My wife and I are in the market for a wakeboat, around 50 grand or under price wise, new or slightly used. We have been partial to Moomba, looking at LSVs for the past year and have even taken a 2012 out for a test drive. We loved it, and never seriously thought about another brand for the price, value, etc...

Until now. I’m not sure how long my joints can handle wakeboarding and wakeskating on the regular so I have become more interested in the wake surfing aspect of these boats. Tige seems to have some of the cleanest surf waves and the R20 was brought to my attention as an alternate option to the LSV. I must say I prefer the design, interior, and possibly surf wake (this can be debatable). The smaller size of the boat does not concern me as much, and can even be a positive for garage space, transportation and maneuverability.

These boats seem very comparable feature and price-wise. Has anyone here who was recently in the market ever considered the R20? What would be the major factors in your decision between these models? I’m just looking for thoughts on comparing the two that I may be overlooking at his point.

thanks

The R20 is arguably the best 20 ft surf boat in the market. This is because it shares the same Convex V hull its bigger brothers, RZ2, Z3 and the new Z1 share. All these hulls were designed with Surfing as the main sport for them.

Tige has long been known as 1 of 2 companies that really build surf minded boats, with Centurion being the other.

As for options, to get an R20 at 50Gs it will be pretty striped of most of the bling options. At the Portland boat show they have one priced at 50 and it doesnt have any real options.

Now comparing this to the Moomba LSV that puts the Options in the same department.

One thing you will notice in the R20 and the LSV is the Cabin inteiror is simular sized when you measure the them from Windshield to rear decks. This is because the R20 uses a windshield forward design and the LSV doesnt. This mean the R20 also has a Smaller Bow.

Other differences. would be storage.

LSV by fare will have the largest rear compartment, under seat storage.

Plus the LSV has deeper Keel and gunnels do to the new 2013 top deck the boat has.

I think the LSV also will hold its value better if you plan to resale later due to it being a 21.5 its the most common and popular size boat.

The R20 even though the interior feels as big, its still a 20ft boat and will turn a lot of buyers off.

Space wise, i cant say exactly how long an R20 is on the trailer but i know the LSV is 22.5 ft with a break away tongue, as my old garage was exactly 23 ft deel and the boat fit with only a couple inches to spare.

Towing, i dont think you will notice any difference with towing characteristics or ease unless you get 1 with a single axle and then you would see a difference because single axle trailers tow a little different then duel.

Another thing to think about it Maintenance.
    Do you plan to do your own? The LSV is a much easier boat to access all the vital engine parts and normal wear items. The Tige is much more cramped and harder to reach things.

Think about the big picture and your choice will be clear.

Both boats offer a lot of good things, and a few bad but if i had 2 choose, i would Choose the LSV because even though im a huge Surf fan, the LSV value over time, ease of maintenance, proven track record and larger size makes it a win win.

Now start comparing it to other 21 foot boats and things change drastically but against the R20 i think it holds it own ground
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default LSV vs R20

buy a LSV

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by supremedevice View Post
    The smaller size of the boat does not concern me as much, and can even be a positive for garage space, transportation and maneuverability.
    I understand your point here but IMO a 20 ft boat on the water is going to feel tiny.

How large is your typical crew going to be?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Default LSV vs R20

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post
    buy a LSV

sent from my home phone
    Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post
    buy a LSV
    I think this will pretty much be the consensus. The LSV is one of the best multi-sport boats out there so you can wakeboard until your knees are sick of it and then make a fantastic surf wave. Tige makes nice boats and I've been out in a few including the R20 last summer. It seemed like a solid boat but the interior felt tiny, and the tower was very low which made it feel even more cramped. Much less storage room too. I think if you go R20 you'll be looking to upgrade after just a few trips out. Compare the LSV to other 21/22 ft boats and then you're really see the value.

I have 2011 for sale only 50 hrs!

Great points, mmandley. Thanks. Maintenance issues did not cross mind mind initially.

KG – our crew will be 50% 2 people, 40% 4-8 people and rarely over that.

Moomballs - you got a listing anywhere?

I think we are going to check out an R20 tomorrow, so we will compare access to the engine and get an overall feel for the size difference. Too bad we won’t be able to take it for a spin.

ask about the Tige gelcoat warranty when you check out the R20 tomorrow.

I find my crew is always bigger than I think it will be, everyone always wants to bring a buddy, the 21v definetly gets crowded sometimes I wouldn't want anything smaller.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV