Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Outdoor Bar/Kitchen

I'm in the planning phases now for my outdoor kitchen/bar. What I'm looking at is a cook space, prep space, and bar. Looking at doing a sink and two fridges, one for the alcohol and the other for the meats and beer overflow.

Going to have it roofed and have a flat screen for games/fights. I'm waiting now to get a quote on the concrete slab. Don't know much about concrete except its not cheap. Gonna do a 19x17 slab but can't get the quote till this rain clears out. Got a fantastic idea in my head, hope it comes to life

Anyone have an outdoor kitchen/bar. If so, post up pics and lets talk costs of material, contractors, DIY's, etc

sent from my ipad2 via a wireless network which usually sucks
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

a couple of houses ago.
    built by me

'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Very nice! I got a buddy whose gonna frame everything like you did with the metal fab. Neither of can do masonry so I either have to contract out or my buddy can do stucco. I'm leaning twds the stucco look right now but leaving options open. Yours looks great sand!!
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

that does look awesome. giving me ideas for when i am in a position to do something like that!
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I hadn't ever done masonry before. it's not hard. the pieces only come in 4 or 5 consistent shapes. I spent several hours playing with the different sizes and it all "clicked". mix up some tile mortar and sling it on. some of it you have to grout between and I don't get that, so I picked a stone that doesn't require it, but still can have some gaps so you didn't have to be perfect like laying brick. your local stoneyard will be happy to give you some assistance. I had a hard time getting them to stick with their mud tho so I switched to a tile mortar and it worked great..

Couple things about that type of stone. Normally would not use drywall behind - we typically use 'Durarock'. On top of the Durarock you use expanded metal lathe. Then you put a coat of mud and let it dry. Then you 'butter' the back of the stones and place them one at a time. Grouting is pretty straight forward. You get a grout back - which is basically a plastic bag with the corner cut off - like a cake decorator. Mix the mud to the right consistency and squeeze it in the gaps. Mud consistency is the tricky part in all operations. It is really easy to go from to thick to to thin.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

awesome job Scott! That looks like a real nice DIY project.

Petty, this may sound a bit hokey, but you should watch some of the shows on DIY & HGTV as they do these type of projects all of the time. As benson mentioned, a cement backerboard is used to prevent moisture penetration. Maybe he can also comment on using a man-made vs natural stone. Some of the newer products, while they can be more costly, look pretty easy to use and DIY vs hiring it out, which in total will cost you more.

Here is an example:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_376371-35760...one&facetInfo=

Awesome! Love the outdoor kitchen/bar. Think about stuff like weather, bugs, glare, etc. when you do it. Things like screen and ceiling fans can help with bugs. Awnings, etc. can keep the glare off your screen. Try to integrate all the stuff you want into a well thought out design. Good luck!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

benson is correct. durock or any concrete backerboard will hold it up. some of the prefab units come with a backer already attached, but it was fun to build the cabinet from scratch out of steel. def. harder at first than cutting wood 2x4's. I used sheet metal screws, but if I did more than one, I'd invest in a cheap spotwelder. would have made it easier to level.