Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ski Suggestions

Go to ski-it-again and pick up a used ski in good shape. You more then likely will keep on buying / upgrading your self so you might want to save some money. My choice would be a RADAR ! even there top end ski is very user friendly. I would pic up a used Seante Carbon. The carbon skis make a huge diff , lighter and flex better. Just my 2 cents
    Matt Glenn

And I would disagree with the wing removal . I would not take it off. Goggle some info on it and maybe take it to a pro shop and let them set it up for you.
    Matt Glenn

Default Ski Suggestions

I'm pretty new to the world of slalom skiing and I live my radar. My wife was on the ski team in college, which was a while back, and she lives her Radar too. She didn't ski for maybe 15 years then picked it back up a few years ago when we finally bought a boat. We both have the P-6 from Radar. Easy to ski on and lots of people have learned on it. It's definitely a ski to learn on buy I give high praise to Radar.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

Once you purchase a ski, you can go to the manufacturers website and get the "factory" set up numbers. A little time and you can set it up yourself. The wing it there for a reason, as a beginner you won't know its there.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I think what you do with the wing depends on your goal as a skier. If you're skiing recreationally in open water it won't make much difference either way. Take it off- try it out, if you don't like it then put it back on. If you get into buoys at least try it with the wing off. My experience was that my skiing improved once I removed the wing skiing in the 30-32 mph range. There was a good article about ski design a while back in waterski mag- Bob Lapoint touches on the wing issue.
    http://waterskimag.com/uncategorized...of-ski-design/
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Quote Originally Posted by skiyaker View Post
    I think what you do with the wing depends on your goal as a skier. If you're skiing recreationally in open water it won't make much difference either way. Take it off- try it out, if you don't like it then put it back on. If you get into buoys at least try it with the wing off. My experience was that my skiing improved once I removed the wing skiing in the 30-32 mph range. There was a good article about ski design a while back in waterski mag- Bob Lapoint touches on the wing issue.
    http://waterskimag.com/uncategorized...of-ski-design/
    The fin does make a BIG difference. Where you are right here is - it depends what kind of skiing you want to do?

I have added a couple tid bits on this topic as it's gone along and well; hell why not add another?

I ski an HO highend carbon ski. I started skiing it with the fins off until I got used to it. Then and please pay attention closely here: THEN I SPENT A DAY WITH TRENT FINLAYSON!!!! And you have no idea what I learned in that day?

Buy or purchase any ski you want too if your plan is to be an open water skier. Get out there ski at 32-34 @ 15 off, lay er down and send up a big spray ripping it back and forth from one side to another. If this is what you want to do you really don't need the fin.

Want to start skiing the course then really see what that fin does?

The answer is really VERY VERY simple for you and any other skier questioning the fin on this site? Factory settings for the fins are 8 degrees with the big fin being all the way out. (If you don't know what you're doing with a set of calipers to adjust the main fin- DON'T TOUCH IT!!!!)

Any new ski purchased is set at factory settings. (Which almost everyone here should have and leave on their ski's). Take a pencil and trace the angle or line of your cheater fin along the top on both sides. Then using a standard Phillips screw driver take it off. The pencil lines will not go away (trust me they won't) and ski your ski with out the fins.

Try it and give it a real honest effort. I say this because Trent completely changed my approach to skiing last Dec when I spent my day with him.

He did put the fins back on my ski as I wasn't using them. Did they make a difference? YES! But they only made a difference based on the skiing I was doing.

If you're chasing bouys - SPRAY DOESN'T MATTER!

Want to shove up a big white wash wall - loose the fins and get the speed going into your turn!

I ski both open water and bouys. Difference for me is I don't give a rats a** how high my spray is anymore. Technique and form for me are way more important - it could mea the difference between that one extra bouy or not?

I will be spending a couple more days end of next month with Trent working on my body positioning in hopes of being able to take another chunck off the line this summer. Being from Canada this is hard as skiing in Dec & Mar isn't doing a lot for me until I can get in the water in May and put what I have learned to use.

What I am saying is - figure out what you really want form a ski? SIA has many many options for you rom pro to average joe. Only you know what you will want to do? When you know that it should help you figure out what you want to buy? Connelley, HO, Radar, etc............they al make a ski fo ryou..............just figure out what one you want?
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!

Default Ski Suggestions

+1 for RadaR! I ski a 65" Senate and love it!
    2013 Outback V